Author Topic: Bouncing player on elevator  (Read 4316 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Bouncing player on elevator
« on: October 02, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
The player is bouncing, on an elevator (func_plat), if it has an accel and/or a decel value.

I made a demo, but there is no bug. It looks fine in it ???

So here is an ent file, where you can see it on the map discovery. To see it, you only need to start the map discovery with this ent file and use an elevator.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Bouncing player on elevator
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:14:58 AM »
Heh, and I thought I had set wrong values.

If you set accel and decel to something like 10, the platform movement looks a lot more natural.

Guess it's just the platform movement that looks natural.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »
It might be due to the prediction code on the client not accounting for the accel/decel, so it predicts the player as if the movement is constant. This seems to be confirmed by the lack of a bug when replaying a demo or with cl_predict 0.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:24:58 PM »
I think this may have been introduced when I decoupled the network traffic and framerate, as I don't think it happens in vanilla Quake2.  I'm aware of the issue, but I haven't tried to track it down.  Try it with cl_locknetfps 1.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
I've tested it. The setting "cl_locknetfps 1" doesn't help. It looks great with "cl_predict 0", but what the hell is going on with my movement then.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:36:47 PM »
Wish "cl_predict 0" linked mouse movement, I mean, crosshair would move with the same latency as player controlled by keyboard. Now you can move your mouse in real time, but your movements are delayed and there is no prediction as to what you will do next. Really hard to play like that, but it's the only way to link your movements to lags (as in, you don't think you have grabbed flag when you actually haven't yet made it there).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 12:28:44 AM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10244

Added a vote for it.

It would be really nice if somebody could figure this out so I don't have to. :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »
I've finally figured out what was causing this - it's the stair step smoothing code (so your view doesn't jump up ~16 units in 1 frame when you hit a step).  The platform is triggering the same code (I'm guessing a slow-moving platform would trigger this, too - when they're moving fast, they exceed the threshold for step smoothing).  Problem is, the platform is moving, so it's smoothing to a moving point which causes it to jump around.  Hopefully I can fix this tonight.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 01:58:40 PM »
That would be great. Good to hear an update :)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »
I've finally figured out what was causing this
Sweet! That's always bugged me.