Author Topic: New Map: Island  (Read 22179 times)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
New Map: Island
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
Here is the new ctf map Island - The Middle of Nowhere. It's a big and opened map with one flag for each team.

I was bored about all the boxy ice jump maps in the last time, where aiming and tactic are less important than jumping.

So I decided trying to make a more realistic looking map, where you can't fly through the whole map from base to base. I also wanted to know if such a complex map - with more than 10.000 numportals after detailing all possible stuff for example - is possible with bsp or not.

Because of that, I started this map just as a test map, but I think the result is not that bad. Hopefully that the complex brushwork can influence the gameplay positiv.

The r_speeds should be ok. I added lots of hint brushes to lower them. Just the water area in the mid of the map has r_speeds up to 3.700 wpoly because of the reflection.

Download island_b1 here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone an idea how to make the following red marked area more interesting without adding a second flag?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:23:12 AM by Chef-Killer »

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: New Map: Island
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »

Has anyone an idea how to make the following red marked area more interesting without adding a second flag?

Why wouldn't you add a second flag? It will probably improve the gameplay (didn't test the map yet), as 1 flag is too easy to defend

Makowiec

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »
Don't add second flag. I think it's all good. Map doesn't need anything more.  I'd like to see it with light ;)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:08:55 AM »
had a look at the map now... It looks good and nearly complete if you would ask me. However, I'd still say to either add a flag or make it harder to defend the current flag, or playing this map will end in camping only.

By the way, I'm missing the grass texture as in the first screen. Can you upload it?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 09:18:46 PM »
Gameplay wise adding a second flag can contribute and ruin it.  Yeah, makes it more interesting and such, but it can make the map end quickly, and maps like that are common and boring.  So don't listen to Jimmy :P.  Camping only is what can happen in maps like midnight and all, but if you use a strategic approach, you could be successful and win, but that doesn't seem to be all that common.

Taking a look now. 

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 10:23:19 AM »
I'd still say to either add a flag or make it harder to defend the current flag, or playing this map will end in camping only.

I almost told him the same thing.  Only difference:  add a mid-flag instead of a 2nd flag in base.  Also, there should be a path leading away from the (current, main base) flag but not out of the base, in order to make grabbing easier while keeping flag captures difficult to do.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:46:57 PM by b00nlander »

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 11:51:20 AM »
I almost told him the same thing.  Only difference:  add a mid-flag instead of a 2nd flag in base.  Also, there should be a path leading away from the flag but not out of the base, in order to make grabbing easier while keeping flag captures difficult to do.

mid flags are even more boring :)

2nd flag should be relatively hard to capture (castle1) and definitely not a flag you 'must' take or a flag you stumble upon anyway (tatras)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 06:50:12 AM »
Maybe ?
http://www.bilder-space.de/show_img_test.php?img=8ebfcc-1289590258.jpg&size=view

in case you definitely don't want to add a second flag, think of ic3y's idea. Adding a tunnel will add a new way to get to the flag, which will be way harder to defend than the current routes.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »
Thanks for the ideas :)

Of course I'm thinking about a low count second flag. There're nice other ideas I'll thinking about, too.

I just asked about ideas instead of a second flag, because I wanted to get other answers and ideas than adding a second flag :D

Btw. I don't know if adding a new way is possible because of the bsp limits. The terrain needs a lot of resources :-\

Makowiec

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 03:42:45 PM »
Btw. I don't know if adding a new way is possible because of the bsp limits. The terrain needs a lot of resources :-\

Sad true. And it's very hard to make good terrain. Clipping etc :/

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 07:09:08 AM »
Merry Christmas :D

The second beta is ready now. I've only added a second flag (3 points) and changed the ramp in front of the new flag for more possibilities. Maybe it's still too hard to use the ramp. It would be nice if you could test, if the second flag improves the map or not.

Download island_b2.rar here!

Download island_b2.bsp here!

It's online for testing @ [OTB] Beta!

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »
Are there still any problems with the second beta?

selda

• Map Committee
  • Stingray
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »
I think here is nothing to improve, realease it as final. ;-)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 05:28:40 AM »
Final release :)

Download island.rar here!

Download island.bsp here!

It's already online @ [OTB] Server. Serveradmins, please upload the map to your server. Thanks!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »
I don't really like those CTP textures.  The dirt is OK, but it doesn't really work well around water.  The second flag doesn't seem very newbie friendly.  Overall, the map feels like it's about twice as big as it needs to be (perhaps it would be a good candidate to make a smaller DSM version of when I get better DSM entities online).  Why is everybody embedding lights in crates these days?  It doesn't even make sense. :\

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 03:37:51 AM »
I didn't spend much time for the textures, the terrain was more important for me. I mainly wanted to know if it could work all over the map. And you don't need speed or trick jumping for the second flag :)

However, I'm thinking to rework all my maps after you finished your work with the new hr4 textures. Then I'll also change the stuff you mentioned.

Bundy

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 04:32:54 AM »
Ich finde die Map ganz cool. Ist aber nicht so mein Ding. :D

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 09:32:27 PM »
Way to go CK I really like it. No one new has really impressed me til now, I like seeing a mapper with a handle on both the design AND technical side of his mapping.

There are possibly too many paths at some points and as others have said the texture is plain but solid is better than fancy/buggy any day.