Author Topic: Feature: RSS for news  (Read 11860 times)

payl

• 68 Carbine
Feature: RSS for news
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
Why don't you create RSS? I hate that i allways miss newest build for one week (Anyway, GoodJob Jitspoe for fast release of b32). RSS could also inform about other important news, like 'what b33 will have'. It isn't hard to implement, so why not?
Ideas? Contr-arguments? If no, then please just implement it :-] (cause if i get on Feature list, then i just never get out of there...).

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Feature: RSS for news
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »
Here's an idea, why not use WordPress for the news? It would do the RSS/atom feeds automatically.

(Anyway, GoodJob Jitspoe for fast release of b32)
Uhm, it hasn't been "released" yet.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
aren't there some solutions for this "problem" already?

I believe a few builds ago Jitspoe implemented a function that automatically checks for newer builds.

Furthermore I think I've seen a similar bot working on the former Lawl:] servers, that had programmed messages messaging their pub-servers. The messages can be changed by the server-admins. I remember those servers being laggy though. I have no idea whether it had to do something with the scripts to publish those messages, or if this was a general problem with the host.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
I believe a few builds ago Jitspoe implemented a function that automatically checks for newer builds.
Where?

Uhm, it hasn't been "released" yet.
lol, pretest is allways final... just in my experience... but to be true, yes, it haven't been released yet.

Furthermore I think I've seen a similar bot working on the former Lawl:] servers, that had programmed messages messaging their pub-servers. The messages can be changed by the server-admins. I remember those servers being laggy though. I have no idea whether it had to do something with the scripts to publish those messages, or if this was a general problem with the host.
isn't "lawl" offline? And making RSS could inform about temp shutdown of dplogin (like it happened ~1 year ago). Auto updater ingame is other thing...

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
Where?

Build 14: - Feature: Notification of new versions when updating the serverlist.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »
Build 14: - Feature: Notification of new versions when updating the serverlist.
Doesn't saw that? Never got noticed? :o
But that isn't point of this feature anyway... Maybe just let Jitspoe decide if there should be RSS...

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
- The news is only updated once every few months.
- The news page is home made, so it's not just a matter of turning on RSS or installing a plugin. jitspoe will need to write new code to format it into RSS.

I would prefer if the forums had a small alert below the date whenever there is a news item posted on the front page.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »
- The news page is home made, so it's not just a matter of turning on RSS or installing a plugin. jitspoe will need to write new code to format it into RSS.
Ctrl+C Ctrl+V and we have RSS... is that big problem? Or just make RSS updates faster, Jitspoe can leave messages for 'Comunity' there... Not for everyone (like newbies etc.).  So following messages might appear there:
-New build
-Server crash/shutdown (like dplogin or idk what)

That is important for some users, which just need to know where new build come out (update mirrors etc.).
Or other way, make a mailing list... Where Jitspoe can send informations, and anyone can ask for something... Or maybe let only 'developers' send informations there...
I just want to turn it out, that we have no good information source, news page isn't updated when something goes wrong or when pretest is released... So maybe create mailing list/RSS?
Ideas? Go on.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:06 PM »
Ctrl+C Ctrl+V and we have RSS... is that big problem?
That is SO not how RSS works. It takes a *bit* more effort than copy+paste.

Ideas? Go on.
Maybe as part of his new site idea, ViciouZ might could create a newsletter or something that would give, say, monthly update on what's happening in the community, and emergency updates when new builds are released.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
Is it really this hard to just check forums? Once or twice daily would be enough, it's not like you need to "update mirrors" a second after new build is out.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »
You'd be surprised. I know the WebHostingTalk forums sends out a monthly (I think) email newsletter and I'm sure it's helped their forum activity, because they pick out 5 interesting threads from the month to mention in the email.
It could only be a good thing.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 12:06:47 AM »
well whaddya know, look what I found while viewing the source code of the homepage:

http://digitalpaint.org/news.php?rss=2.0

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »
I was going to say, "I thought I already did that."

Perhaps the feature request would be to put an RSS link somewhere on the news page so people know about it. :)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »
Well I don't know about you, but my Firefox didn't show the little RSS icon in my address bar while viewing the news page. Might just look into that.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
You can try to change the type from "application/xml" to "application/rss+xml".

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »
RSS link should be fixed now.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
Yup, it is -- too bad Firefox 4 ditched the RSS icon altogether. :P

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 08:05:45 AM »
Also, can Jitspoe change RSS size for forums? 10 isn't enough for me, when i come after 10hours to home, there are more than 10 new posts...

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 08:39:46 AM »
Also, can Jitspoe change RSS size for forums? 10 isn't enough for me, when i come after 10hours to home, there are more than 10 new posts...

Come on dude... the option is in the URL... :)

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;limit=10

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »
The news feeds are limited to 199 characters. Can you maybe remove or increase this limit (like the forum feed)?