Author Topic: Feature: PortableApps.com package  (Read 2663 times)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Feature: PortableApps.com package
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »
I'd like to see the installer have an option to do a portable install, like to a USB drive. I realize that the game pretty much works that way already, but the external server browser, in particular, does not, as it seems to rely on a registry entry to determine the game installation directory.
I think it would be great for the game if we could eventually get it listed on PortableApps.com!

« Reason for editing: modified topic »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:42:19 PM by webhead »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Feature request: Portable installation
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »
What are the requirements for getting on PortableApps.com?  The game itself can run portably.  The standalone server browser uses the registry, but it would be possible to make it use a config file (it's GPL if you want to take a stab at it).

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »
I'd check out the links on their Development page which might tell you everything you need to know about packaging it in PortableApps.com Format, and also get involved with their forums if you either need help getting it packaged or want to release it.

And as far as the external server browser, I think it should just assume it's in the pb2 install dir and use relative paths.

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
great idea
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:21:36 PM by Rocky »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
http://portableapps.com/development/portableapps.com_format#layout

Looks like they have a very specific directory layout, which would not be compatible with Paintball2.  I'm not sure it's worth the effort.  What is there to gain by it?

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »
Mainly a much bigger audience I'd think.

Surely there's a way to do it so that it would be compatible. Since pb2 doesn't store settings in AppData, I'd think you could just put the whole existing structure under the App folder.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10258

Feel free to investigate it.  This doesn't seem like something I necessarily have to do, unless it requires directory structure changes.