Author Topic: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP  (Read 141629 times)

prozajik

• Autococker
Re: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP
« Reply #220 on: August 08, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
Also, another thing is that you are missing many textures in your official texture pack. I have tried making my own pack (a combination of sunmans/seldas/yours) and i noticed that you missed some or put there just low-res texture. So I dont think this pack is yet to be forced or ban. If you want, I can post list of all textures that i was missing (dunno if you are aware of them or not).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #221 on: August 08, 2013, 06:53:41 PM »
If you are trying to make a "paintball" game, first thing to do so is to try a new engine. With queake2 jump bug is this game more like high speed flying shooter. Only familliar thing with paintball is one shot - you are dead.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/4vse.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/j0y9.jpg/

When I compare these two textures of the grass, I do not see any difference between spotting the player. He is just there if the texture is brigt or dark. Only a blind person could miss him.
So when I am speaking about the grass texture,  your official texture just feel uncomfortable whet it is passing by under player. Maybe you like the static look, but once you start running it looks horrible.

And another texture - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/fuuq.jpg/

When I am hanging on the ladder like this, I can not really keep my eyes focused on the base high because of the ladder detailed texture. It is not because the texture is awesome but because there is too many dark/light passages that are distracting my eyes. I think this texture is used for the spawn doors on propaint1 too, so you might change the texture to fit both objects.
I find it hard to believe you can say there's no difference in spotting the player.  I find the player on the light grass considerably easier to see.  It's not that the player completely blends in on the darker grass, but the brain is much better at processing differences in brightness level than it is colors.  It's easier to see a dark blue object on a light blue object than it is to see a medium blue object on a medium green object.  Also, consider the peripheral vision case.  Peripheral vision has less color and focus than what you're directly looking at.  If there's a player near the edge of the screen, you're much more likely to see him if there's a large brightness contrast.  I've altered the screenshots you posted to exaggerate this a bit.  Keep your eyes focused on the red dot and tell me which player is easier to see.

The degree to which light grass offers an unfair advantage is arguable, but I think it's pretty clear that there is at least some advantage.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #222 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »
Before I stopped playing DP2 I had the same arguments as most other people concerning these textures. It wasn't because I wanted super bright textures, but I wanted "clean" looking textures - rather than super detailed ones. Still think clean looks good - but coming back from not playing for a while Jitspoes textures are actually the best ones in the game EASILY. I'd still rather clean, or better yet unrealistic quake style textures - but these are easily nicer than any of OTB/Sunmans/Selda/Spartax packs.

Few comments:

I can't stand Grassp5 - don't know exactly what it is, but that's the one grass I've never liked in your pack. I'll try to get a better explanation.

Not a big fan of ground1_6 --> Looks weird in game still, doesn't look realistic when going for a realistic approach. Don't think mirroring the original texture will ever make this nice. Will need to differ more IMO.

I personally prefer Hay_Top from other texture packs more than yours. Purely for the reason it looks really clean, which obviously isn't how hay looks, but people don't fly off haystacks either. I find your haystacks not to look high res.

I find Rockp2_7 to feel oversized and ugly. Although it mirrors the original (pbcup_sass wall) - I think it could use some improvement. It looks to big compared to the woods.

wwall1_1 I just hate this wall. I think a lot of people agree that the other packs with the "flat" version of this brick looks better. I think this needs significant improvement otherwise most people will use the brick from other packs.

WILL POST MORE IN DEPTH LATER, those are just the few I don't like.

Smacker

• Stingray
« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »
@Jitspoe : On the second one it is harded to spot but darn, how can you play on black/white monitor?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #224 on: August 09, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
Before I stopped playing DP2 I had the same arguments as most other people concerning these textures. It wasn't because I wanted super bright textures, but I wanted "clean" looking textures - rather than super detailed ones. Still think clean looks good - but coming back from not playing for a while Jitspoes textures are actually the best ones in the game EASILY. I'd still rather clean, or better yet unrealistic quake style textures - but these are easily nicer than any of OTB/Sunmans/Selda/Spartax packs.

Few comments:

I can't stand Grassp5 - don't know exactly what it is, but that's the one grass I've never liked in your pack. I'll try to get a better explanation.

Not a big fan of ground1_6 --> Looks weird in game still, doesn't look realistic when going for a realistic approach. Don't think mirroring the original texture will ever make this nice. Will need to differ more IMO.

I personally prefer Hay_Top from other texture packs more than yours. Purely for the reason it looks really clean, which obviously isn't how hay looks, but people don't fly off haystacks either. I find your haystacks not to look high res.

I find Rockp2_7 to feel oversized and ugly. Although it mirrors the original (pbcup_sass wall) - I think it could use some improvement. It looks to big compared to the woods.

wwall1_1 I just hate this wall. I think a lot of people agree that the other packs with the "flat" version of this brick looks better. I think this needs significant improvement otherwise most people will use the brick from other packs.

WILL POST MORE IN DEPTH LATER, those are just the few I don't like.
I do actually try to maintain the Ouake style with a lot of these textures.  Many of them were Quake textures to begin with.  That's actually what wwall1_1 is.  If you take a look at the original texture (not the standalone version), it looked like large, rounded corner stones.  Like you said, though, that texture tends to be pretty unpopular..

I am a little confused as to why you always mention the rocks being "too large".  Rock walls have HUGE rocks -- bigger than cars in many cases.  These textures aren't for mason-built stone walls.  They're for actual solid rock.  Things like this:

http://www.joshuatreerockclimbing.com/pic1-copy.jpg
http://opp.uoregon.edu/smart%20objects/climb/climbing_basalt.jpg
http://www.moonclimbing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Andrea-climbs-Dietetic-Line-7b-o-1.s.-in-Ceuse.jpg

I'll try to revise some of the textures you pointed out soon.  Thanks for providing usable feedback.

@Jitspoe : On the second one it is harded to spot but darn, how can you play on black/white monitor?
The point was to exaggerate things a bit and demonstrate that there is, indeed, some advantage to lighter textures.  Like I said, peripheral vision has less color and focus than what you're directly looking at, so this was just to demonstrate how you might perceive something at the edge of the screen.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »
I am a little confused as to why you always mention the rocks being "too large".  Rock walls have HUGE rocks -- bigger than cars in many cases.  These textures aren't for mason-built stone walls.  They're for actual solid rock.  Things like this:

http://www.joshuatreerockclimbing.com/pic1-copy.jpg
http://opp.uoregon.edu/smart%20objects/climb/climbing_basalt.jpg
http://www.moonclimbing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Andrea-climbs-Dietetic-Line-7b-o-1.s.-in-Ceuse.jpg

I understand that rocks are HUGE, but in the maps that rockp2_7 is in it feels really oversized. I'm not sure how to properly explain it, but I haven't found this texture to be appealing. Although it does mirror and improve upon the default texture - it still doesn't look right to me.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2013, 06:04:12 AM »
So finally got time to put my thought about your pack into a post. I like your texture pack, its rly nice and makes the maps look nicer than in any other pack the way they were design (problem i see here, is that people found better looking textures for maps they play and it doesnt even have to be texture which mapper put there eg.:Carptahian - city6_8 from seldas/sunmans pack looks rly nice there).
But i still dislike some of your textures:
1)rock5_2 - dunno whats up with this texture, i just dont find it fitting into any map played (wobluda/pbcup_renoir), maybe trying adding diferent "color" would help?
2)melta4_7 - just cant stand that texture, IMO its the worst looking texture in your pack, it doesnt even look HD to me
3)city4_6 - this just looks weird, i know that all of packs use the same texture, so i thought maybe remake of it would be nice

And here is the list of textures i found you missed in your pack:
sew1_3
sew1_6
box1_1
brick3_2
lit2_2
tudor1
wizwood1_6
wizwood1_7

And they are used pretty often, for example sew1_3 is used on wobluda main_ice

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
So finally got time to put my thought about your pack into a post. I like your texture pack, its rly nice and makes the maps look nicer than in any other pack the way they were design (problem i see here, is that people found better looking textures for maps they play and it doesnt even have to be texture which mapper put there eg.:Carptahian - city6_8 from seldas/sunmans pack looks rly nice there).
But i still dislike some of your textures:
1)rock5_2 - dunno whats up with this texture, i just dont find it fitting into any map played (wobluda/pbcup_renoir), maybe trying adding diferent "color" would help?
2)melta4_7 - just cant stand that texture, IMO its the worst looking texture in your pack, it doesnt even look HD to me
3)city4_6 - this just looks weird, i know that all of packs use the same texture, so i thought maybe remake of it would be nice

And here is the list of textures i found you missed in your pack:
sew1_3
sew1_6
box1_1
brick3_2
lit2_2
tudor1
wizwood1_6
wizwood1_7

And they are used pretty often, for example sew1_3 is used on wobluda main_ice

Thanks for the feedback!

My first iteration of rocks5_2 seems to be one of the most popular textures, so I my switch back to that and see if I can improve on it a bit.  I tried to make it more rock-like here, but I guess it needs more work.

metal4_7 was one of the early textures I made in Filter Forge, and I scaled down the default rendered size (600x600, I think) to the appropriate texture size to save time, but that, of course, made it less sharp than it could be.  I wouldn't say it's the worst looking texture.  It even got an editor's pick and high usage rank on fiter forge's site.  It can probably use a little tweaking, though.  Do you have any suggestions?

city4_6 I agree needs to be redone.  It was photosourced, and the original photo wasn't that sharp and there is some color distortion.

sew1_3 is identical to sew1_4.  I'm not sure why we released the game with 2 of the same texture.  I was planning to do something like have a remap file so I wouldn't have to have duplicate files wasting space.

sew1_6 is high on my priority list to work on.

box_1 is done.  I don't think box1_1 is a standard texture.  I don't have it.  What map is it used on?

What map is brick3_2 used on?  I never made a low res standalone version of that, either.

lit2_2 needs to be done, as do tudor textures.

Not a lot of maps use the sloppy plank boards (wizwood1_6 and 1_7), so they've been kind of low priority.  I'll try to get around to them at some point.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
Revised grassp5 (+ lowres, for comparison):

Doesn't tile quite as well as I'd like, but that's all I have time for tonight.  Might be good enough.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2013, 03:19:22 AM »
Looks much nicer IMO, cleaner.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2013, 04:58:04 AM »
Looks good, but can you please change this dark point?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant by not tiling well.  I'll work on it some more and see if I can remove the repeatable patterns.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »
Although I like Jitspoes textures, Ive always preferred sunmans a little, since its just smoother and cleaner. I will provide some deeper analysis when I have more time

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
Revised grassp5 (+ lowres, for comparison):

Doesn't tile quite as well as I'd like, but that's all I have time for tonight.  Might be good enough.

Updated this texture (might need to hit reload on your browser).

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #234 on: August 15, 2013, 04:50:15 AM »

metal4_7 was one of the early textures I made in Filter Forge, and I scaled down the default rendered size (600x600, I think) to the appropriate texture size to save time, but that, of course, made it less sharp than it could be.  I wouldn't say it's the worst looking texture.  It even got an editor's pick and high usage rank on fiter forge's site.  It can probably use a little tweaking, though.  Do you have any suggestions?
It is jsut my opinion, i dont have any exact and well visible reason why i dont like that texture, but i think it is because i looks to me low-res comapred to the "clean" texture (i mean the one without the grass on it)

box_1 is done.  I don't think box1_1 is a standard texture.  I don't have it.  What map is it used on?

What map is brick3_2 used on?  I never made a low res standalone version of that, either.

Not a lot of maps use the sloppy plank boards (wizwood1_6 and 1_7), so they've been kind of low priority.  I'll try to get around to them at some point.
I will look into these textures and get back to you where they are used. But i am sure i found out maps where they are, becaue i remember when i was making my own texture pack i had to copy quite a few textures to the hr4 folder from selda/sunman, because you didnt have the hr4 version and it just looked weird on maps.

And just that you have idea what i meant by players using totally diferent textures

Your pack

Sunmans+selda pack

IMO, S+S looks much nicer, but you can never achieve this if you remake default textures into HD even if you make a perfect texture. An interesting thing i found out, is that S+S looks kinda like if you adjusted brightness/contrast option (not in pb, but in photoshop for example).

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2013, 05:00:26 AM »
To be very honest, Jitspoes Carp looks way better! That ugly brick texture and plain grass just doesn't look good IMO.

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2013, 05:09:54 AM »
I agree with Rick. Jitspoe's textures look way better in this map. That sunman/Selda grass looks diseased, lol. Also, i very much dislike the wall texture too.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2013, 05:26:21 AM »
the second version is duller in colourl, although I recall sunmans pack being smoother on most map. this is one of the examples where jitspoes detail in his textures pays off, although sometimes it just comes off as not clean.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:06:31 PM by UnRateD »

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »
Uhm, kinda surprising but ok. Guess its just me, disregard my post then, tho i wanted to show you, how players (probably just a few but still), change wall texture to improve, at least for them, its looks. They use totally diferent texture to the default one. So just take it as an example to get an idea.

EDIT:For me, the grass on carpathian is too dark(too green) in combination with the wall texture there is. Maybe you could try making the grass "less perfect", as it is now, there no yellow grass straws, just perfectly green grass. I dont think this is the way paintball grass would look, because of all the action going there (i could be wrong tho, never been to paintball field).
AGAIN, this could be just me, so lets wait for others to see what they think. I rly like the wall texture on caprathian, tho i dont like the combination of this grass + wall texture.

EDIT2:
I have been going through some maps and found more textures i dont like...

grass1_4 - it looks fine outside the game, but ingame it just doesnt look real to me, maybe adding more of yellow instead of white would help?

rockp2_7 - sass texture, this one just doesnt look 3d or anything to me, i cant really feel the rock in this texture (weird sentence ^^)

About the nonHD textures, i couldnt find where they are used, at least these of which you didnt have low-res version. But, i found other textures which arent HD and are used on maps:
metal4_6 - nhb, used on lights (if its HD then i guess its just stretched weird)
grass1_8 - pbcup_renoir - dirt under water/in sideway
woodp1 - duck, midhigh house wooden "sides"

Going back to rock5_2, another problem i found with this texture is that it doesnt look HD if its next to another HD texture:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:51:24 AM by prozajik »

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
Tried both texture packs on Carp, although jitspoes are arguably more aesthetically pleasing, i found myself preferring to play on the other texture pack in game due to its simplicity.

the problems with jits' textures are three fold - incompleteness (which is obviously being solved), inconsistency in terms of quality and each texture relative to another on the same map (also, being solved) and a problem a few people have, which is the fact that although in pictures your textures look really nice because of the quality and detail, in game they can be exhausting and just a little out of theme with how the game is played.