Author Topic: Sticky: PBCup Summer 2006 Registration Open! Deadline: Wed, June 14 12:00am EDT  (Read 15749 times)

XtremeBain

• Autococker
The PBCup Summer 2006 will begin its registration immediately. Just like last season, you will go to www.pbcup.com to do so.  You'll also notice a nice new design which was constructed by S8NSSON.

We as a staff learned a great deal of what worked and what did not last season. During the few weeks off, we looked over the current set of rules and made some revisions Some are not that big, while others deal with the current match format and double clanning. The following are a list of new rules that will be in effect for all following seasons:

Rule 1: No Preference to PBCup Refs

Participating clans will not be able to prefer one Ref over another to oversee their match. Whichever PBCup Admin is around during match time will be the ref that watches over the match. If a clan does not want to play while a Ref is observering the game, they will simply forfeit.

Rule 2: Grenades

Now that impact grenades can be disabled, 2 normal paint grenades and 2 smoke grenades will be added to the server config. They will respawn every 3 minutes. This time will be used to prevent "grenade spamming."

Rule 3: Ticket System

In order to prevent excessive player movement from team to team, clans will be granted "5 Tickets" each season. A ticket will be taken from a clan each time they add a player to their roster after the season begins. Rosters are open until 00:00am EST of first day of Week 1. At that time, any further additions to the Team Rosters would be at the cost of 1 ticket. Each team has 5 tickets, allowing the possibility of 5 roster additions up until Week 6, at which point rosters additions would be locked for the remainder of the season/playoffs.

Once a team uses all 5 tickets in a season, they will not be able to add any more players to their roster. Tickets are only redeemed when a player is added, NOT when a player is removed from a team. Tickets do not carry over from season to season, nor can you give tickets to other clans.

Rule 4: Locked Rosters

Team Rosters will be locked at 00:00am EST on the first day of the 6th week. This is much like the Trade Deadline which is observed in most North American sports leagues. Un-redeemed Roster Tickets from a season are not transferable to any following seasons. The roster lock will remain through the course of the play-off rounds.

Rule 5: Double Clanning Policy

The multiple clanning rule will be enforced and monitored in the PBCup Summer Season. Players who are on a PBCup Summer Roster may not participate in any PBCup matches for any team other than their PBCup Summer Team.

If a player is caught playing a league game on a team other than his PBCup Summer Team, the player will be immediately suspended for 2 weeks and removed from his team's roster. The Leader(s) will receive 1 warning(an e-mail will be sent additionally) and will be required to use a Roster Ticket to retrieve the player for future play once the 2 week suspension is over, if they decide to do so. If the Roster Lock is in effect, then the Leader will not be able to retrieve the player.

The captain(s) of the team using a player from another PBCup clan will forfeit that weeks match and will be suspended for the next week. If a team violates this rule after receiving their first warning, they will be removed from the league and forfeit all remaining matches. If they wish to participate in following PBCup season, they will have to present their case to XtremeBain on why they should be allowed back into the league.

In the unlikely case that the Team was sabatoged by rebelling members(Eg. Members of clan avenge their leader by participating in a double clanning exercise to disqualify the team from the Season) a pardon may be granted at the League Administration's discretion. If a clan leader brings a double clanning occurance regarding his own member to the attention of the League Administration a pardon for the warning may be granted at the League Administration's discretion, assuming the player has already been removed from the Season's Roster.

Rule 6: Server Preferences

The PBCup now has a Mid-West USA server in addition to the East coast and Euro servers. Therefore the server choosing process will go as follows:
For USA vs USA matches: Each clan will have the option to play their round on their server of choice.
For USA vs Euro matches: The Euro clan will play a round on the Germany server, the USA clan will have the option of playing on either of the two USA servers. HOWEVER, a USA clan will NOT be able to prefer the Mid-West server simply to make a European clan ping even higher. The clan's starting 4 members must show that their team ping (average of all 4 starting players) is lower on the Mid-West server than the East Coast server. The 4 players used in the averaging of the team ping MUST be the 4 players to start the round. It will be to the discretion of a PBCup admin if mass substitutions are made after the beginning of the round to decide whether a team is playing on a mid-west server to give a Euro team a disadvantage.

Rule 7: NEW Match Format

-Each match consists of THREE 13-minute rounds.
-All 3 rounds will be played in each match.
-Each team will pick their own map from our list of acceptable maps, however, they will only be able to choose a map ONCE during the regular season
-3rd round maps will be pre-determined for each week of the season.
-A team may NOT play the tie-breaker map twice in one match. (Meaning if the tie-breaker map is Castle1, you can not pick castle1 as your map)

Scoring:
For each round won by a team = 1 point

Our maplist, and the eight Round 3 maps will be made public well before the season gets underway. If you have any questions regarding these rules, please contact any of the PBCup admins in the irc room #pbcup.

We look forward to another successful season with even more teams participating!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 10:35:39 AM by XtremeBain »

Reed

• VM-68
Re: Sticky: PBCup Summer 2006 Registration Open!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:12:40 PM »
Right, seems like there have been some sensible decisions, and some that I cannot fathom the reasons behind.

Rule 1 – seems sensible enough, as long as pbcup admins remain impartial. Only problem I have with that is say if we were matching xb for example, I wouldn’t want Oddjob refereeing the match. I’m not calling Oddjob untrustworthy, its just in the name of fairness really.

Rule 2 – Interesting to see how this pans out, I don’t think it’ll really add anything to the cup, but I don’t see any harm in it.

Rule 3 and 4 – Perfectly fine by me. Maybe even lock the rosters all together as soon as the league begins? Possibly limit the size of a team? Or allow only replacement players to be brought in?

Rule 5 – Don’t recall ever seeing this in season one, but fine anyway.

Rule 6 – Fine.

Rule 7 – Wooooooooooaaahhhh there. A new match format? I really cant see the benefit in using a new match format. The old one provided me personally with some of the best matches I’ve participated in. I don’t understand what the American allergy to draws is all about. Why cant people be allowed to draw?
Whats with the map selection as well? Allowing the teams to select the maps means that teams will have to practice all the maps before every game because they never know what they’re going to face until the match is arranged. The schedule is already tight enough without having this extras hassle on our hands.
What will happen if a North American team is playing a Euro team? Will they play 6:30 on each server?
What was wrong with playing what you’re given? At least when you know what the maps are you’re given ample time to prepare, and each team starts from the same position.
If anyone wants to enlighten me on why this has been implemented I’ll be glad to hear it. For me, and certainly some others I’ve spoken with, this rule adds nothing but hassle to the pbcup.

There are also some other things from season one that need addressing. What ever happened to the rule about ringers? Im certain that this took place at least twice during the first season (not mentioning any names), but nothing was ever done about it.

The playoffs certainly need to be modified. I believe that it might be interesting to allow teams to veto 2/3 maps each that cannot be selected by the other team. This would allow teams to veto the other teams match maps which they use outside of pbcup (which to me is highly unfair). This forces teams to be good on at least 4 maps instead of one which they have played religiously before pbcup.

Id also like to know if the rumours about splitting the pbcup into two leagues, Euro, and NA, are true?

That’s it for now, if I think of anything else I’ll be sure to spam it here.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »
Your worries about Rule seven are somewhat justified. However, a team can know their own map, and the third round map for the week. Thus, you can practice your map and the 3rd round map as ahead of time as you want and all that is required to win is that you win at least two maps. You could go into your opponents map and lose 50-0 and still win the match overall.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »
and yet lose 1 point, if you keep the scoring from season 1?

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:37:23 PM »
Oh yeah, i remember another problem. All the scheduling went askew for a week when British Summer Time came in. Would be nice if that didnt happen again because all our opponents turned up an hour late.

Gibb

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 03:41:12 PM »
Rule 1 – seems sensible enough, as long as pbcup admins remain impartial. Only problem I have with that is say if we were matching xb for example, I wouldn’t want Oddjob refereeing the match. I’m not calling Oddjob untrustworthy, its just in the name of fairness really.
I see where you are coming from, and we never let that happen last season as we always had an impartial ref supervise matches where pbcup admins were participating in.  This rule was made because some clans and pbcup admins simply did not get along and did not want them in the server when they played. 

Rule 2 – Interesting to see how this pans out, I don’t think it’ll really add anything to the cup, but I don’t see any harm in it.

grens add a lot to the game, helps drive out people defending and camping bases if used correctly

Rule 7 – Wooooooooooaaahhhh there. A new match format? I really cant see the benefit in using a new match format. The old one provided me personally with some of the best matches I’ve participated in. I don’t understand what the American allergy to draws is all about. Why cant people be allowed to draw?
Whats with the map selection as well? Allowing the teams to select the maps means that teams will have to practice all the maps before every game because they never know what they’re going to face until the match is arranged. The schedule is already tight enough without having this extras hassle on our hands.
What will happen if a North American team is playing a Euro team? Will they play 6:30 on each server?
What was wrong with playing what you’re given? At least when you know what the maps are you’re given ample time to prepare, and each team starts from the same position.
If anyone wants to enlighten me on why this has been implemented I’ll be glad to hear it. For me, and certainly some others I’ve spoken with, this rule adds nothing but hassle to the pbcup.

The reason we want to remove draws is because we feel it is a poor result to two clans investing over an hour of their time playing a match.  The majority of all professional sports end games with a winner, there is only one sport that I can think of that allows games to end in a tie and that is soccer. 

The reason we gave teams the ability to pick their maps because we wanted to give them more power.  We believe allowing teams to pick a map once over the regular season will add strategy outside the match as well.  You have to save your best maps for what you think will be your most difficult matches.  This is how normal matches take place.  You dont always know what the other team is going to pick for their map.

As for Euro/USA Round 3 maps will be handled, it is still being looked into and will mostly depend on the number of USA/Euro clans that sign up.

There are also some other things from season one that need addressing. What ever happened to the rule about ringers? Im certain that this took place at least twice during the first season (not mentioning any names), but nothing was ever done about it.

This is what the whole Double Clanning rule is referencing.

The playoffs certainly need to be modified. I believe that it might be interesting to allow teams to veto 2/3 maps each that cannot be selected by the other team. This would allow teams to veto the other teams match maps which they use outside of pbcup (which to me is highly unfair). This forces teams to be good on at least 4 maps instead of one which they have played religiously before pbcup.

Your suggestion is noted

Id also like to know if the rumours about splitting the pbcup into two leagues, Euro, and NA, are true?

Until sign ups are finalized and we see the distribution between USA and Euro clans, this is currently undecided.

XtremeBain

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 03:46:39 PM »
Thanks for the input Reed.

I will be adjusting the scheduling process such that map selections will need to be submitted 3-4 days before the start of the week.  Time scheduling won't have to be entered at that time, so it will allow at least a few days for teams to strategize and practice their opponent's maps before the earliest possible match time.  A seperate Division/Conference for European clans depends entirely on number of teams(both North American and European) signed up, as well as the input of our two European PBCup Organizers (Pureblood & bitmate).

As for the British Summer Time, I overlooked the need to make adjustments for the GMT timezone when redoing the time system.  Currently the site adjusts for North American Dayligth Savings Time and Central European Time's Summertime adjustments.  This is actually the first I've heard of any problems with the UK's time.  Are these problems still happenning, or is everything aligned now that NA is on/off DST?

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 04:36:09 PM »
I believe that NA times change a week after BST. So everything went back to normal after one week.

The majority of all professional sports end games with a winner, there is only one sport that I can think of that allows games to end in a tie and that is soccer. 
Is this not the world sport? The most popular sport on Earth (after fishing) =D

I see where you are coming from, and we never let that happen last season as we always had an impartial ref supervise matches where pbcup admins were participating in.
This happened in 2b0s match against er33t.

The reason we want to remove draws is because we feel it is a poor result to two clans investing over an hour of their time playing a match.
I think many clans would feel a draw was a good result, clans like qehs would be robbed of anything to aim for. You are now playing for the same amount of time, but you can only score a maximum of 3 points =/

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 04:42:59 PM »
"This happened in 2b0s match against er33t." You must be refering to our season match instead of the championship match which oddjob reffed. Initially i was going to sitout and ref that match (if i remember correctly) but i think pureblood ended up reffing it or something. Either way, we didnt have this legislature last season so hopefully that will get corrected this season.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 05:05:28 PM »
Yes i was referring to the regular season match.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
The majority of all professional sports end games with a winner, there is only one sport that I can think of that allows games to end in a tie and that is soccer. 

To be fair, Football is the most played and most popular sport in the world...

Bling

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 11:43:56 PM »
To be fair, Football is the most played and most popular sport in the world...

Lol Lekky.. FootBall is not Soccer to me... Wish everyone knew that FOOTBALL is not soccer to americans..

But anyway:

I think grenades will be good for the cup but I dont really like the idea of 3 rounds.. and why such an odd number, 13.  Why not 10?

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 12:11:28 AM »
3 rounds is much better then the 4 rounds. I really like that change.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 01:57:58 AM »
I dont like the idea of must being able to handle ALL maps of the mappool by week 1 ! All maps because you dont know what your opponent is going to pick. In the last season there was always like 1 week for preparation and you had to make up strategies for only 2 maps. Now you can simply make some cheap strategies for ALL maps Before the start of season 2. Surely the strategies will get better but it needs to much time for preparation at the beginning of pbcup. We all dont have that much time to invest in something like that. It'd better be if you made it like the last season with 2maps per match, so there's enough time left for a little bit of training. ;)

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 06:22:49 AM »
playah, read XBain's post.
He clearly stated that you will enter your preferred map 3-4 days before the matchweek starts. So you have 3-10 days(depending on when you schedule it) to practice the 1 map that you didnt know would come up.

and to Reed/DT:
in the regular season match we ended up agreeing on not needing a referee before we started.  Looking back on it, I guess all of 2b0 would've loved to see a referee there. Well, er33t as well, I guess.  Now let's just be happy that such a situation will not occur anymore.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:51:38 PM by XtremeBain »

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 08:23:35 AM »
Thank you for that solution. I´m sorry for i didn´t read that pure but i thought i had read everything.

Gibb

• Stingray
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 09:14:50 AM »
The reason for using 13 minutes is to keep it the same length as last seasons matches.  4 rounds of 10-minutes = 40 minutes.  3 rounds of 13-minutes = 39 minutes.

XtremeBain

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »
A decision has been made concerning the deadline for PBCup Summer Season registration.
Registration will be closed on Wednesday, June 14 at 00:00(12:00am) EDT(GMT-4).
That translates to:
Tuesday, June 13 at 21:00(09:00pm) PDT(GMT-7)
Tuesday, June 13 at 22:00(10:00pm) MDT(GMT-6)
Tuesday, June 13 at 23:00(11:00am) CDT(GMT-5)
Wednesday, June 14 at 05:00(05:00am) BST(GMT+1)
Wednesday, June 14 at 06:00(06:00am) CEST(GMT+2)

On Wednesday a discussion will be held amongst the PBCup Summer 2006 Organizers and myself concerning the possibility of Conferences and Divisions and the regular season schedule will be created.  The preseason week will almost certainly begin Saturday June 24th.  If this is the case, the Roster Ticket system would be in effect Saturday July 1st.

MosEz

• Autococker
The reason for using 13 minutes is to keep it the same length as last seasons matches.  4 rounds of 10-minutes = 40 minutes.  3 rounds of 13-minutes = 39 minutes.

ONE MIN :( I bet i´d own in this min ;) no its ok :)

Max/Khan

• PGP
the website is dead? i can't connect at this adress for register... :(