Author Topic: [Feature] Option/Command to display key presses  (Read 8801 times)

joonas

• VM-68
[Feature] Option/Command to display key presses
« on: December 30, 2011, 04:40:04 AM »
How about it?

From what I've gathered, this shouldn't be a difficult thing to implement. This thread could be used to design and vote upon what kind of images we'd use for the key presses before it's implemented, and maybe even have someone do the code too so that jitspoe can put his time into other more important things.

Keyboard keys, triangles, arcs or arrows? What kind of coloring? Will the keys appear whenever pressed, or should they be always visible and then just add a color or something to them when they're pressed?

What should the command be?

cl_drawkeys
cl_drawpressedkeys
cl_showkeys
cl_showpressedkeys

Ace

• Autococker
Re: Command to display key presses
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »
Great idea, pretty easy to make too. +1

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:50:29 PM »
Something like this?

Code: [Select]
bind "w" "+forward;echo w"

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
Something like this?

Code: [Select]
bind "w" "+forward;echo w"

Exactly, someone could look at the q2 jumpmod coding if they get the chance because they implemented it pretty well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »

pker!?!

• PGP
Showing Controls
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 06:07:46 PM »
Hai, just a quick one.

Alot of players around the jumping scene have been asking how to strafe, cj, dj etc.... I was wondering if there was a way to make something like _showpressedkeys 1 on here. Here, i'll give you an example.

Since it helps with new players learning how to strafe etc, since like 90% of them just hold w and spam left/right with their mouse!

Thanks.
Pker!?!/ Nubcake

gonass

• 68 Carbine
Re: Showing Controls
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »
I think there is a way, or at least I've seen it in the Q2 jump server. 

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »
Some code from jump that seems to at least do some of this:

http://pastebin.com/pzyJVhN8

pker!?!

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 02:05:59 AM »
I think there is a way, or at least I've seen it in the Q2 jump server. 
Yeah that's where i got the screenshot from.

Some code from jump that seems to at least do some of this:

http://pastebin.com/pzyJVhN8

Yeah just wondering if it could be implemented on dp, since that's where alot of the newbies are atm.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 12:18:14 PM »
Yeah just wondering if it could be implemented on dp, since that's where alot of the newbies are atm.

Yuppers, just posted for reference if someone wants to take a crack at it.

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 02:10:57 PM »
do you want this in 1 map only or in all ?

pker!?!

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »
do you want this in 1 map only or in all ?

All, i was kinda hoping that this could be implemeted as a command like, cl_showpressed keys 1/0

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »
but then u need sth like waypoints in all jump maps for every single jump :p I think 1 map is enough where they can train all jumps from easy dj to nearly impossible cj.

pker!?!

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 10:50:13 AM »
but then u need sth like waypoints in all jump maps for every single jump :p I think 1 map is enough where they can train all jumps from easy dj to nearly impossible cj.

Well, you won't need waypoints to show what buttons you're pressing. Also i am working on a jump map that starts from easy to very very hard. 24 levels so far. :)

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »
What for waypoints? He asked for a feature to show pressed keys, not more.

In german for tobiantifa:
Er fragt lediglich, ob es möglich wäre, Tasten die gedrückt werden, anzuzeigen. Das hat rein gar nichts mit den Maps zutun.

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 04:04:00 AM »
But how does it help new players when it just show the buttons they press.  I thought u mean that it would show what buttons they have to press for this jump.  And when they press the wrong buttons all the time it wont help them or am I wrong ?

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 04:32:15 AM »
But how does it help new players when it just show the buttons they press.  I thought u mean that it would show what buttons they have to press for this jump.  And when they press the wrong buttons all the time it wont help them or am I wrong ?

The point is that you can observe better players, and see exactly what they are pressing and doing, and then try to emulate it.

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 06:31:24 AM »
ahh now I understand it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 09:57:35 PM »
Unfortunately, the configstrings for Paintball2 are pretty much maxed out with all the different HUD items we have, so the example code Ace posted would not work.  A separate jump mod (http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10282) with less stuff on the HUD would make this a lot easier, but there's still probably a way to work something like this in Paintball2.

Adding it just on the client side (showing what YOU pressed) wouldn't be difficult, but I think you want it so you can chasecam players and see what keys THEY'RE pressing, right?

Looks like this request is already on the feature vote, but doesn't have many votes: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10275

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: [Feature] Option/Command to display key presses
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 09:58:21 PM »
I'm merging these threads to keep all the discussion in one location/easily referenced by the feature vote.