Author Topic: Clean database pool for clans/players  (Read 7185 times)

Riddick

• 68 Carbine
Clean database pool for clans/players
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »
not sure if it can be done or if it would just be to time consuming but i think it would be a good idea to clean the database of players that havent played for a long time and subsequently delete all clans that arent actually being used or only have 1 person in them ( or had only people who would be getting erased from database)

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Clean database pool for clans/players
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »
Have you checked the feature vote? Maybe this idea is already there? I know this has been brought up before but the only way for this to happen is to get jits to trust a person or two to go through the logs to identify the last active day of each player was.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
I know this has been brought up before but the only way for this to happen is to get jits to trust a person or two to go through the logs to identify the last active day of each player was.

Yeah, that's the ONLY way! Cause you know, those games with 100x the activity of DP2 go through the logs daily to identify the last active day of the players!!! LOL! Think a little.

PS - Feature votes don't get implemented, ever. An example would be the B33 implementations, as Gamabunta clearly stated: Nobody complained about the physics - and then you look at feature vote, and see all the things people complain about daily, not getting implemented.

People complained about people not dying - something got done. People complained about HR4 textures - something started getting done.

The pattern: Complain, make 100 threads, complain some more, flame a little, and something will get done. Waiting and just voting, gets you nowhere!

Riddick

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »
i wasnt really complaining. was just a suggestion. although i do agree that the feature vote is useless

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
Myers do you have nothing to do but be hateful?

I'm sure there are a hundred different ways this could be done. The point I was getting at is that it would be a large task for WHOEVER does it. Didn't jitspoe explain how much it takes for him to ban an individual? I'm sure the process wouldn't be no where near that length but he is an individual with a million things to do. Those games with 100x the amount of players have a PAID STAFF of people who help in parts of the game. Jits doesn't have this.

Then let us get to the part of doing this for clans as well. He would then have to go see who is left in ALL the clans and go back and start deleting them. This is something that we all would like to see happen so the same people who create 100 different clans while here can continue to create more clans that they will eventually leave, thus destroying all the hard work. It comes to "what's the point".

All of this is complicated when people cheat, create multiple accounts, share those multiple accounts, and then proceed to lie and create more when caught. I'm sure you can atest to this.

Thnx.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »
No reason to continually argue back and forth, considering I rarely check in here anymore and don't see the point in arguing this. Especially with a member of the community who does more positive than negative... even if I disagree with you pretty frequently...

Psssst, I can only atest to the first accusation, none of the other ones happened during my Digital Paint: Paintball 2.0 career.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:05 AM »

f3l1x

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 05:16:10 AM »

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
I'd volunteer to go through the logs. One thing i could do to give back to the community after being inactive for so long.

edit: and honestly this would probably help the game out significantly considering how when some people go to make a clan it says that the Tag or the name is already in use and they look it up and its there but its either dead or has some random newbie in it. Which isn't a bad thing but it is a waste for those who want to be competitive. But thats just my 2 Cents on the situation. +1 With myers on the feature vote situation.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 10:09:12 AM »
Just here to revive that topic, since the same idea recently came to my mind. Would be another point to work on, actually had to be done a while ago already. Yea, I know, it's on the feature list, but when was the last time something actually got implemented from there?

So,
I'm pretty sure everyone of you wanted to add a name, but it got blocked by some account, which was having no former clans and never been seen in the game at all. There are tons of players with only one single name on their accounts, making them not available anymore. This also will bother new players when they want to create their account, but couldn't use the name they'd like to have. Sure, first come first serve, but does this still count for those, who joined the server last time like 10 years ago? With no former clans and no other names on their account? I don't think so.

Same thing with clans. There are so many clans with only one former member, also created 10+ years ago and (probably) never used. Blocking both names and tags.

Plus delete the non-activated accounts. (Guess that's obvious)

Also, if all of these would be cleared up, people wouldn't have to bother jitspoe with questions about giving them names or clan tags anymore. And as stated above (more than 6 years ago), jitspoe doesn't even need to work on this for himself, he could choose a few people to do so. I'm pretty sure there are couple of ways to solve this.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 08:26:10 AM »
*cough*

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »
It is difficult to do since how do you know that you aren't deleting some kind of history for somebody? Personally I care more for preserving history than for reserving the names that other people have taken.

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 04:39:14 AM »
This topic have never been relevant, there are no crowds of people waiting for registration and playing.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »
It is difficult to do since how do you know that you aren't deleting some kind of history for somebody? Personally I care more for preserving history than for reserving the names that other people have taken.

Good point. That's why we somehow have to figure who cared about the game and his account/name/clan. One aspect could be accounts without any former clans. Another aspect could be the last time this account was used online or the overall playtime (not sure if there are logs for that). For example "Killersniper123" has no former clans, no other names, last time he was online in 2010 and he got a total play time of 5 hours. I don't think deleting his account would destroy any history for him then.
Similar aspects for clans, let's say one former member, tag never/rarely used etc.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 12:06:09 PM »
What if people jump back into the game after few years of inactivity and realize they got their nicknames or clan names stolen?
Whether I have a clan or just play on public servers with one nickname as "Killersniper23" is doing, I wouldn't like my nickname being registered to somebody else.

I personally think it is something that shouldn't be done specifically on paintball where 95% of the player base goes inactive for a few years and then log back in.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 06:27:48 AM »
What if people jump back into the game after few years of inactivity and realize they got their nicknames or clan names stolen?
Whether I have a clan or just play on public servers with one nickname as "Killersniper23" is doing, I wouldn't like my nickname being registered to somebody else.

I don't think a person with a super low play-time would care or even remember he created an account that he didn't use for ages. I would rather see active players being happy about a name or clantag than feeling bad about those, who registered a name years and years ago and never really used it at all.

If the majority wouldn't agree with the idea of deleting accounts that once were used, I think we could still clean out the non-activated ones. Also clans that block decent clantags with only one former member in it should be cleaned up.

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »
"Its time to move on"  - by Zenit

This was your 3rd end with Paintball... So move on and dont make big plans again.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
@Zenit
I personally think that your suggestion would be too much of a bother for players coming back into the game than it would actually help people getting the name they wanted. The first thing i do when i get back into a game is to log-in.
Anyways, my opinion aside, I can already tell you that play-time isn't something Jitspoe can monitor unless he has access to logs of past 20 years which i highly doubt but even still you would have to manually go through it all and that would be a nasty job to do for the whole database.
The easier way is to claim names/clan tag individually.

@Ranger
Your interventions on forums are still as irrelevant as it was 8 years ago. Most of your messages are off-topic and personal.
Do a favor for people reading forums, get your personal issues solved privately or do it on the right topic. Thanks.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 03:30:10 AM »
Anyways, my opinion aside, I can already tell you that play-time isn't something Jitspoe can monitor unless he has access to logs of past 20 years which i highly doubt but even still you would have to manually go through it all and that would be a nasty job to do for the whole database.

I agree with that, going through logs of thousands of people would take forever. Maybe there is another way.
I'd like to know what jitspoe or the committee think about that whole idea in general.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 03:04:40 AM »
This is not really feasible with the time I have.  There have already been issues in the past with people stealing "famous" player and/or clan names.  I don't have the time to sit down and investigate every clan/username that could be free'd up, and trying to automate deletion is way too risky.  What if there's a bug or exploit?