Author Topic: [Feature] Tutorial Map  (Read 28690 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
[Feature] Tutorial Map
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »
A map for first-time players that would show off the basic moving and shooting in Paintball2.

Things like:
- Leading moving targets.
- Different weapons.
- Strafe jumping.
- Game modes.
- How to pick up and drop equipment/upgrades.

etc.

http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10279

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: [Feature] Tutorial Map
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me.  Would be cool if you could make it interactive.  Like first it shows some instructions, then plays a quick demonstration video, then gives the player a chance to try.  Is this possible with the current map format?

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
There was already a map called "shaztrain", you could use this (or modify a bit, if it doesn't suit all needs). It even had target practice.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:20:29 PM »
The whole point of a map would be so that it's interactive.  I don't know about playing videos... well, technically it is possible to play .cin files with r_scripts on a map surface, but the file sizes would likely be huge.  I was thinking more along the lines of markers and triggers with text descriptions of what to do.  I set dialog messages as a dependency because we really need a way to trigger displaying text in an elegant format.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »
I've started working on this.  It's made me realize how this seemingly simple game is rather complex when you try to explain all of the just the basics to a new player.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »
.bsp!!!!!! pls

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
I've started working on this.  It's made me realize how this seemingly simple game is rather complex when you try to explain all of the just the basics to a new player.
IMO you should try to not make it boring. Let player moving freely for different things like shooting, jumping, CTF/Siege. Also some tutorial vids playing while player is nearby would be cool but probably too hard to implement (what about videos playing in displayed menu on whole screen? That wouldn't be that hard) or maybe some bots that will play demos? I'm not sure if that would be possible (probably not). But as you plan making bots API open someone may implement it in future or at least something that looks similar.
That's nice Jitspoe that you try to work on something to bring more people to game, keep it up. This is also smart to let others freely help you with more things like bot API, i hope that you'll publish more code and find developers (i think i can help myself at least with basics because for now i don't know C/C++ well).

.bsp!!!!!! pls
Would make easier for us to help Jitspoe improve this map. Needed for sure, but not until at least some things are done. And as this is first jitspoe post about that it's probably in very early stage.

EDIT: You should also mention in this tutorial how to update game. This is problem for people that doesn't understand English well so try to use simple sentences.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
Will you make it like an interactive demo (a bot that make a shot or jump) and the player can try it after that or with text in the new dialog boxes (don't know if that needs a new entity to pop up the dialog) or both or something completely different?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »
Right now you can just freely walk around the map and dialogs pop up in different sections explaining things.  I'm going to have to put some weird hacks in in order to be able to have all the game modes visible in one map, but I'm partway there.  Hope I don't break any existing maps. :)

I'm going to hold off adding anything fancy like AI since that will probably be completely rewritten soon.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
i love this idea.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 10:16:22 PM »
Will you make it like an interactive demo (a bot that make a shot or jump) and the player can try it after that or with text in the new dialog boxes (don't know if that needs a new entity to pop up the dialog) or both or something completely different?

idk if you can make it like how the quake mod works, how you can see the fastest time on the server. Just show how to do something, and have it keep playing over and over.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:27 PM »
Still nowhere near done, but I figured I'd share the map anyway since some of you asked for it.  The dialogs won't work as they require code changes that I'm still working on.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »
I've attached some more progress shots.  The equipment and game mode tutorials are pretty much done (had to add a lot of hacks to the game to make it all work).  I'm starting on the basic jumping tutorial section now.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 03:46:54 AM »
Nice job.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
Finnaly my ideas are implemanted....

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
This will prompted upon downloading? and then menu title "tutorial" correct?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »
That would be useful.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »
I'm thinking of having it auto-load the tutorial map the first time you play, and have a tutorial option under the "Play" menu as well, so you can go back to it.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »
So it will be a force tutorial? some might not like that IMO should be prompted and if people deny it, have a message stating that if they want to in the future there is a menu title for it.

Definitely have it in the map starter pack you have.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »
I think u could also add an option to run a tutorial demo if wanted :)