Author Topic: [Feature] Tutorial Map  (Read 28653 times)

Foxhound

• Autococker
Re: [Feature] Tutorial Map
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
Your ctf example is in the tutorial and is relevant.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »
Your ctf example is in the tutorial and is relevant.

What I'm trying to say is that if you've never played an FPS before, how would you know what the rules for DM and TDM are?

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2012, 12:26:28 AM »
Is Chef really critiquing jitspoes map

hes trying to help jits

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2012, 01:17:24 AM »
Death match, meaning death + killing things, Team deathmatch meaning Killing things with a team. Not hard to figure out common sense.

Jitspoe has put in that red team caps the blue teams flag back at red teams base. I'm sure it doesn't take the most capable of minds to realize you need to shoot the opposing team in the process.

For an example since you don't seem to believe that anyone is smart enough to understand. Way back when halo 1 came out, they had their game play style called "slayer" and "team slayer". I didn't go hmmm Slayer? that's a band right? must be you play music. No, i associated slayer, with , killing things, and if i added team as a prefix, it must mean killing things with a team. It wasn't even called deathmatch or team deathmatch and it was totally understandable. There was no tutorial on it and there definitely was no one on their mic saying I DON'T GET IT.

I'm pretty sure people do not wish to partake in a tutorial half the time, and for the people who do, do not wish to be bothered with what DM and TDM are and are spoon fed like dumb babies. All they want is to know how to move fast like the guys they see in the servers who fly by them, or learn why their gun has stopped shooting and understand what the weird noise that sounds like air escaping is.

If you're so worried people will not understand what it is, bother jitspoe to add a chat pop up in the map that explains it briefly. No need for a room. No need for it all in my opinion.

I honestly can't tell if its a troll or not. I figured it was, but not sure anymore.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2012, 03:13:21 PM »
For an example since you don't seem to believe that anyone is smart enough to understand. Way back when halo 1 came out, they had their game play style called "slayer" and "team slayer". I didn't go hmmm Slayer? that's a band right? must be you play music. No, i associated slayer, with , killing things, and if i added team as a prefix, it must mean killing things with a team. It wasn't even called deathmatch or team deathmatch and it was totally understandable. There was no tutorial on it and there definitely was no one on their mic saying I DON'T GET IT.

What about Apple? According to you, Apple must be an Apple company. That's not true, Apple is a computer company.

So when someone who has never played an FPS before plays DM or TDM, they may assume that DM or TDM means killing people, but they may want to be 100% sure. Besides, maybe the developer(s) of the game wanted to make DM or TDM a little more interesting, and thus have made a few changes to the game mode. Also, this is Paintball, we don't kill other people, we eliminate other people.

nub

• VM-68
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »

So when someone who has never played an FPS before plays DM or TDM, they may assume that DM or TDM means killing people, but they may want to be 100% sure.

FPS
First Person Shooter
Shoot things?
I am not 100 % sure

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
FPS
First Person Shooter
Shoot things?
I am not 100 % sure

It's not as simple as shooting people. For example, in CTF, you have to get the enemies' flag and bring it to your base. A person who has never played an FPS wouldn't know all the rules including the rules for DM and TDM.

evilchuck

• PGP
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2012, 11:02:11 PM »
 I am still a little new myself and most of the info about clans i had to figure out on my own through posts a couple ?s and irc channels and listening to people talk. having said that along with the training map, I believe that a flash video would do some justice. the video should have tips on matches, a couple how to's, some slang translation and protocol on grabs, caps and re-con. make the video fun and hope to here some feedback on this

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2012, 11:55:46 PM »
Chuck, do you think there is a need to explain how to play DM or TDM?

and Narga, You explained the need to teach how to play CTF, which is what this game is based off of, then added the fact that dm and tdm should be thrown in with no back up. Your argument there is moot.

jE

• Stingray
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 05:32:39 AM »
what's there to explain about DM or TDM?
DM: dude shoots at you -> you do the same
TDM: congrats you are in a team, now go shoot some ballz...LOL

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »
and Narga, You explained the need to teach how to play CTF, which is what this game is based off of, then added the fact that dm and tdm should be thrown in with no back up. Your argument there is moot.

It's not as simple as shooting people. For example, in CTF, you have to get the enemies' flag and bring it to your base. A person who has never played an FPS wouldn't know all the rules including the rules for DM and TDM.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
FPS
First Person Shooter
Shoot things?
I am not 100 % sure

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »

How difficult is it to put that in a tutorial map?

Better safe than sorry anyway.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
How useless and a waste of time is it.

like i said, ask jitspoe to add it. It's his time to waste not mine.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »
Is Chef really critiquing jitspoes map

Why are you hating on Chef so much? Jitspoe posted this to get feedback and Chef gave him feedback.. I'm not sure why you seem to not like his feedback, everyone else does.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »
I'd avoid the double fence maybe. Btw. you can jump over the fence.
I doubt that's going to be a problem for people who need the tutorial. :)  Might as well let them have fun if they can figure it out.

What about "minclientbuild" "36/37?" and "message" "###"?
If you're playing the tutorial map, it's going to be with the new build, which reminds me, I need to make it so tutorial maps can't be added to map rotations as they'll break the server.

I'd also add one paint/smoke grenade with the dialogbox and press # to throw....
Yeah, I need to do that - I was planning to put them in the bunker area behind the other equipment.

Maybe you could make the dialog boxes visible as long as they aren't read, that new people don't forget anything. A colored and flashing lighting point would be great.
Maybe... I kind of want to leave it open for exploration and not have flashy things that remove the immersion.

It's a little bit confusing that you can grab a CTF flag, run to SIEGE area and get the cap at the wrong time. Might be hard to understand and realize for new people don't knowing the different game modes. Not sure if it's still possible after the code changes.
Ah, yeah, thanks for reminding me - I need to add triggers to remove the flag when you go from one area to the next.

The lights after the first jumping room sometimes block me, you might want to add clip brushes there.
The ramp jump area?  I'll take a look.

Maybe add one more dialog box in front of the closed door, if someone missed the dialog box at the button.
I was thinking of something like this, but I don't really have a good way of only making it trigger if the door is closed.  Perhaps something to explore for the next iteration (if it's even necessary).

There's also a black face at the door if it's opened.
On the bottom?  I don't think it will be trivial to fix since there's no light there, and it's unlikely to be noticed by most.

Red: I'd rotate these faces.
Blue: I'd move this face a little bit.
Doubt most people will even see that, but it's a trivial fix.

Red: Why did you add those holes?
I didn't add them.  It's just a side effect of how I structured the brushes.  Not the most efficient way, but you'll only see it with noclip.

Red: I guess you did that consciously. In my opinion closing this hole would look better.
It's supposed to be an overlapping diamond tread step, kind of like what you'd see at a loading dock.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »
Unless there's something major wrong with it, this will probably be the final version for build 36.  I may add some indicators or something for the next build, but I just want to get a new build out now.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 07:56:36 AM »
There is a "Bad field -> tutorialmap == 1" message.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:33 AM »
Maybe i would make the welcome message as a dialog box (with the information that it shows messages as popup in the right top corner) and all other messages as a popup (or maybe the exit message as dialog too).

That could be made with something like this:

4. Can you make the tutorial map changes available to all maps? For example: That it shows a dialog or popup if the trigger_once has "dialog 1" or "popup 1" in the settings.