Author Topic: [Feature] Tutorial Map  (Read 28693 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: [Feature] Tutorial Map
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
There is a "Bad field -> tutorialmap == 1" message.
Should be fixed for the next release (forgot a return).

Maybe i would make the welcome message as a dialog box (with the information that it shows messages as popup in the right top corner) and all other messages as a popup (or maybe the exit message as dialog too).

That could be made with something like this:

I think it's better with the new popup system.  It displays until you move from the spawn.  I guess you don't have the new map that goes with the popup system changes...

I basically just changed all the trigger_once's to trigger_multiples.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2012, 07:13:14 AM »
Can you please add/allow the letters ä, Ä, ö, Ö, ü, Ü and ß for translating the tutorial map to german?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »
I think that requires a new font system (or we have to replace some funname codes - 3 of the 4 blank codes maybe).

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »
Can you please add/allow the letters ä, Ä, ö, Ö, ü, Ü and ß for translating the tutorial map to german?

ae, oe, ue. Any german can read this => Problem solved

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
I think the new popup system is just about done.  When you stand in an area, it will pop up a description.  Popups will fade out after a couple of seconds (if you're not still standing in the area that had the popup).  Multiple popups can be visible at once.  When the old one fades out, new ones will slide up to take their place.  Here's a screenshot.  Doesn't really show well without the motion...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »
A lot of people have been complaining about the tutorial map lately.  Please post suggestions for improvements.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
Please put doublejumps/circlejumps in it.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2013, 12:42:16 AM »
I think it's to open right now, although it looks ice I would say having the map split into section more and making the sections more noticeable is more important.

Start them in closed off room where they canter used to the controls, when they feel confident have them to through a teleported or door that pushes you through (like pp1) to a new where the guns can be gone over, again make it another closed off room maybe with firing range, another door.

It may be repetitive and boring, but one of the main issues for me was the layout of the map, players don't you where to go I think and many tutorial boxes can be activated without knowing because there is no indicator where they will pop up make it so there is some way of notifying the players there will be a pop-up box or highlight a path for them to walk

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2013, 02:57:22 AM »
I just had a go at this and well, the popups fade very quickly. Sometimes I had to move around and try to find the area that triggers the popup just to finish reading it.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »
Please put doublejumps/circlejumps in it.
There is CJ in it actually, but optional DJ would help.

I just had a go at this and well, the popups fade very quickly. Sometimes I had to move around and try to find the area that triggers the popup just to finish reading it.
Agreed, I would opt to remove text and make more images because most people doesn't read those popups.

A lot of people have been complaining about the tutorial map lately.  Please post suggestions for improvements.
Gamemodes presentations are kinda annoying, I would redesign it, so all gamemodes are in separated rooms (separation should be clearly visible, i.e. with hub leading to all rooms). Also images showing how gamemode works should help. (best would be videos, but I believe it's not that easy to make).
I would also redesign jump section, with hub leading to it presenting various jumps (with more space obviously).
Finally I would indicate which way from hub to go to finish tutorial and include simplest jumps there.

Attached sample how tutorial could be designed.

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2013, 07:15:31 AM »
There is CJ in it actually, but optional DJ would help.
Agreed, I would opt to remove text and make more images because most people doesn't read those popups.
Gamemodes presentations are kinda annoying, I would redesign it, so all gamemodes are in separated rooms (separation should be clearly visible, i.e. with hub leading to all rooms). Also images showing how gamemode works should help. (best would be videos, but I believe it's not that easy to make).
I would also redesign jump section, with hub leading to it presenting various jumps (with more space obviously).
Finally I would indicate which way from hub to go to finish tutorial and include simplest jumps there.

Attached sample how tutorial could be designed.
nice idea

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
There are a few ways this could be handled:

- One large map, with everything in it, broken up into different sections.
- Multiple maps, with a hub map that allows you to wander from section to section in game.
- Multiple maps, with a menu interface.

I'm not sure what offers the best user experience.  Breaking the map up into multiple sections would allow players to quickly load a specific section to practice on (and be easier to split the workload up if different people wanted to contribute), while having one large map would let players quickly move from one section to the next.

After checking out how QuakeLive does it, I think it might be good to have the tutorial be more of a "practice mode".  QuakeLive has a few different practice mode maps for strafe jumps, rocket jumps, etc.  Each map is broken up into 3 sections, increasing in difficulty as you go.

I think we could do something similar here, where we have something like a target range practice map, but it has 3 different sections:
- stationary targets.
- moving targets.
- moving targets + player is forced to move (with jumppads or something).

It could be made a little more interesting by adding a timer or something so people could practice and try to beat their previous times (or friends times, if we get really advanced), kind of like shaztt.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »
- One large map, with everything in it, broken up into different sections.
- Multiple maps, with a hub map that allows you to wander from section to section in game.
- Multiple maps, with a menu interface.
I think 2nd solution is worst: player has to watch loading each time he wants to do anything.
I like both first and last solution, but those could be merged: Make menu interface that will teleport player around that map. Downside is a problem loading/modifying this map if it grows big.

It could be made a little more interesting by adding a timer or something so people could practice and try to beat their previous times (or friends times, if we get really advanced), kind of like shaztt.
I think You plan too much ahead jitspoe. I really would like to see such a tutorial, but with you having almost 0 development time, we should aim small unless some mappers will declare their help. I still would aim small, but with place to extend things. This way you can have nice basic tutorial fast, and advanced one later on. And don't forget you still have to make hr4 and bots...

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »
007 reporting for duty.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »
007 reporting for duty.

It could turn into a mapping committee project? Cusoman, join us. :)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
Instead of having the game modes all spread out in one area with the jumps on the other side, the tutorial map should be more linear. Players should be walking steadily in a defined direction. First we introduce the game itself, with the keyboard prop, then explain guns, ammo, CO2 etc, then go on to explain game modes. Then, we progress to the jumping section, which is pretty good right now with its linearness but is missing a few things. Double-jumping and ladder jumping are not explained in the tutorial at all, and it would be beneficial to introduce a simple speed jump where you must clear a hurdle. There would be space for gaining speed before the jump.

There should also be more references to digitalpaint.org/dplogin.com in the tutorial, and maybe some explanations of how to navigate the menu.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
I'm actually supposed to make a jumping tutorial, I've started but haven't gotten far.

Union

• PGP
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2014, 08:11:55 AM »
When I first started DP I had trouble with the ice part, it took me DAYS to complete the ice part.

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2014, 01:02:08 PM »
You don't have to complete it, but icejumps are an important part of this game.