Author Topic: New Ban Times  (Read 29380 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
New Ban Times
« on: January 26, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »
I'm sure some of you have noticed that I've been banning some people for 1024 days for using cheats.  I don't really have time to deal with cheaters right now, and clearly the 32-64 day bans were not enough of a deterrent.  I'd like to be able to focus on development, so when people cheat that I feel should know better, I'm going to slap them with a 1024 day ban, and I'll review it later when I have time.  Don't like it?  Don't cheat.

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Ban Times
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

coledamm

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
Not cool for me, you have clearly said on my Ban Topic that i can come clean with cheats, then you half a ban - "Detected again - 256 days unless he comes clean."
And a second thing that i admitted what cheat i used to like 3 times in mail and a PW on forums.

ban topic - http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=21849.20

bete

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »
Not cool for me, you have clearly said on my Ban Topic that i can come clean with cheats, then you half a ban - "Detected again - 256 days unless he comes clean."
And a second thing that i admitted what cheat i used to like 3 times in mail and a PW on forums.

ban topic - http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=21849.20

bete
your not the only one, and plus the banned players will end up like the feature votes..

but keep it cool he will get to you, eventually

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
your not the only one, and plus the banned players will end up like the feature votes..

but keep it cool he will get to you, eventually

What in the F**K did you just say?

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 03:13:55 PM »
GOJO JITSPOE

kill your game more :)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
GOJO JITSPOE

Yes it is obviously Jitspoe who is killing the game.  It couldn't possibly be all the cheaters who are wasting his development time.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
This isnt so much of a 'revelation', more just Jitspoe solidifying his point that he doesnt have time to deal with hackers.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 04:28:48 PM »
KNACK KNACK KNACK COME SEE THIS THREAD!!!!!!! your wish came true :)

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »
GOJO JITSPOE

How? It's not giving them a permanent ban, it's giving them an unknown amount of time. It will be inconsistent - but maybe that will drive players away from cheating.

The 32-64-128...etc.. was simply not a long enough period of time to drive anyone away. Trust me. People will cheat for fun, expecting to get only 32, or 64 days. Having the unpredictable amount which will likely end up being from 150-200days, will remove that "I'll just take a few months off" - since it ends up being 6month to a year.

It's for players who should have known better, so if they waste his time by cheating when they knew the consequences, then there is no rush for him to help them by tossin' out a short ban.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 06:49:16 PM »
Lets bring something up that hasn't been mentioned in a while.  When you install paintball you check a box to show that you accept the terms of the License Agreement.  If you do not accept these terms then you can not install the game, with the set up .exe anyways.  I'm sure a lot of you haven't read it, but that is your own fault.  

Paintball 2 (c) 1998-2012 Digital Paint - http://www.digitalpaint.org/

DO NOT CHEAT

Plain and simple.  By installing, using, or owning a copy of Paintball2, you agree not to use any cheats or modify the game executable or content in order to gain an unfair advantage while playing against human opponents.  Doing so will result in banishment from public servers, disqualification from competitions, and/or legal prosecution.  Digital Paint reserves the right to scan your computer for modified game content and known cheat utilities during the operation of Paintball2.  While the GPL grants the ability to freely modify the game engine, use of unofficial or modified engines on public servers will likely result in a ban.  This is necessary to keep the game fair and cheat-free.  You are responsible for other players on your computer and/or network.  We will not lift a ban simply because somebody else was cheating on your connection.  Digital Paint also reserves the right to generate and store unique identifiers using components of your computer's hardware.  This is done using irreversible hashing algorithms.  No direct data about your hardware is transferred or stored.  This is necessary to hardware-based bans to keep evasive cheaters off of the servers.

DO NOT HARASS OTHER USERS

Repeating annoying phrases, degrading or belittling other users, intentionally killing teammates, impersonating other users, and other forms of harassment are also grounds for banishment.  Extreme cases may result in legal action.  Using this software means you agree to abstain from such behavior.

REDISTRIBUTION

Short: You may redistribute the game as it is currently packaged so long as you don't make money from it.

Long: Permission is granted to redistribute this game and its media so long as there is no monetary gain for the complete package or the media.  The Paintball2 game engine must be distributed under the terms of the GPL (GNU General Public License), which basically states that you can modify and distribute the program so long as you also make the source code including your changes available.  For more details read gnu.txt in the Docs directory or visit gnu.org.  If you wish to distribute any of the media (textures, models, etc.) independently or within another package, please contact the author of that particular media (most likely jitspoe) for permission.

DISCLAIMER

This software is provided "as-is."  We make no guarantees as to how, or even if, it will function.  If it screws up your computer, you can't sue us.  We don't make any money off of this, so suing us wouldn't do you any good anyway.  The most we can do is refund the $0 you spent on this software.

Digital Paint does not have direct control over game servers and thus cannot take responsibility for how they are managed, however if you have any issues with the way a server is run, you can post a complaint on the digitalpaint.org forums and it can likely be resolved.

This agreement is subject to change. Digital Paint retains all rights to all products relating to Digital Paint: Paintball 2, and rights to all products which are designed for use in conjunction with Digital Paint: Paintball 2.

All right.  So it starts with DO NOT CHEAT.  That is the first thing mentioned on the License Agreement.  It is even placed in all capitalized letters so that it will grab your attention easier.  It does not state ban time length and it does so for good reason.  

If you're supplying a game that people can enjoy for free then you're giving them something that people had to make, which takes time.   Time is money.  When you work a job, you're being paid for something that in one way or another required someones time to be used.  The game is available for free.  They're using their time for your benefit when they could be using it for themselves.  There are around 200,000 player accounts.  Even if they're multiple accounts, that is 200,000 times that someone visited the website and made an account to play the game.  This is after the account wipe.  That means that 200,000 times some one wanted to play this game.  If 1% of those times occurred in some correspondence request or action request with jitspoe, that is 1,000 times some one wanted him to give up his time for them.  That is only 1%.
There are around 70 active bans and hundreds of expired ones.  Even if it only takes jitspoe a few seconds to ban someone, thats several hours he's already donated to us all.  This is not counting any development of the game, website, or dplogin system.  This is also not counting the time involved answering questions as to why YOUR PUNISHMENT FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS is so.  

I've said this a lot lately.  STOP DEMANDING that some one else give some thing of theirs up simply because YOU broke a rule that YOU AGREED to abide by and don't like the consequences of YOUR OWN actions.  I don't believe that I can make that any clearer, nor can I believe how many people are so selfish as to DEMAND THAT SOMEONE ELSE GIVE THEM THEIR TIME WHEN YOU WOULD NOT ABIDE BY AN AGREEMENT THAT YOU MADE.  I have spent quite some time preparing this post.  You're welcome.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »
I might cheat for fun =]

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 07:07:48 PM »
I've been waiting for about 200 days or so for my ban to be fixed, but unbanning everyone else on that boat is a great idea apparently. Player Hater.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
FINALLY!!! Thanks Jitspoe :)

High fives to fl1p, henrod, olbaid, cameron, etc...

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 01:41:10 AM »
Finally, this is now just a step away from perm bans. Hopefully it will come in time.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »
Even if it only takes jitspoe a few seconds to ban someone, thats several hours he's already donated to us all. 

Also, I don't have a magic "ban" button.  Banning people probably takes an average of 40 minutes (scanning logs, getting appropriate IP's and hardware ID's, and making my best attempt not to ban other players that might have the same hardware), and often takes a lot longer when the accounts are older and have been used on a number of computers (as it did with many of these cases).  When I only have a couple of hours of free time per day to dedicate to Paintball2, that's days, if not weeks, worth of work when banning a large number of players, not to mention all of the fallout on the forums.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
Thank you T3rror15t.  Given the approximately 70 active bans alone, that's a little under 50 hours in the active bans alone.  A few hundred hours for the expired ones.  If you're still in school, imagine all of the time you spend at school each week.  That's around the amount of time it took for jitspoe to do the active bans, not counting telling people why their ban time is so long or corresponding with them in general.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 11:49:11 PM »
Ok, this is a great idea, but why unban people that clearly have, at the very least, months left on their ban time? What's the idea behind it all????????

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 12:04:13 PM »
FINALLY!!! Thanks Jitspoe :)

High fives to fl1p, henrod, olbaid, cameron, etc...

This is definitely nice to see.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »

Ok, this is a great idea, but why unban people that clearly have, at the very least, months left on their ban time? What's the idea behind it all????????

I'm going to slap them with a 1024 day ban, and I'll review it later when I have time.  Don't like it?  Don't cheat.

Come back now Henry? :)