Author Topic: New Map: Applejuice Land - Deathmatch  (Read 5592 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
New Map: Applejuice Land - Deathmatch
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
So... I've fooled around with BSP a few times before, never really got anything that I thought was good enough to release. It probably would've been beneficial to release maps earlier on, so I could have gotten feedback to improve my mapping, but whatever. Most of this map was me attempting to learn how to make bunkers/shields.

This map is my DM Speedmapping Contest entry. Figured this would be a good time to actually release a map, since gameplay isn't a huge deal for a DM map. I think my maps a bit small, but I guess we'll see.

Map: http://speedy.sh/zaw9Z/applejuice-b1.bsp

Screenshots:
http://oi42.tinypic.com/11mduyw.jpg
http://oi42.tinypic.com/2d6jd3a.jpg
http://oi41.tinypic.com/1z2hhf5.jpg
http://oi44.tinypic.com/14xmnic.jpg

I have to post from a proxy for this, that's why it's not attached to the post, since my computer that has DP on it is IP banned from forums... soo yeahhhh.

The name is just because I wasn't creative, and I was drinking applejuice....

Not sure why the download doesn't show it as _b1 , maybe speedyshare doesn't allow _'s

Enjoy!

UnRateD

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Applejuice Land - Deathmatch
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
so wheres the best map in dp history? link me please

(like this map btw , gj :) )

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
lol that is no way shaped like an apple! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH nice tho.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
Nice map! I think it will play really well with lower numbers of people, and the layout is sweet.

Your mapping ability is way above what I last saw, you should make more maps :)

Good luck in the competition, I'll be releasing mine shortly :D

- Cusoman

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »
I really like the map should be good to play

Good luck in the competition, I'll be releasing mine shortly :D

- Cusoman

So will i anyone else ?

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »
Gotta rotate dem textures

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
Psst... to the judges... anything that looks misaligned isn't actually misaligned. It was intentionally made like this, as that's what stuff looks like here in Canada. I tried to make it realistic to what I see everyday of my life.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 04:11:20 AM »
Psst... to the judges... anything that looks misaligned isn't actually misaligned. It was intentionally made like this, as that's what stuff looks like here in Canada. I tried to make it realistic to what I see everyday of my life.
What, they cut wood across the plane of the tree in Canada?  You know its hard to find trees with bases as wide as most wood you can buy at a hardware store right? :P

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 08:14:38 AM »
Best gameplay from the contest maps (in my opinion), but there are some holes, no clip brushes and a lot of misaligned textures.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:31:40 AM »
Best gameplay from the contest maps (in my opinion), but there are some holes, no clip brushes and a lot of misaligned textures.

Thank you.

I'm aware there's a lot of misaligned textures. Since I've never attempted to release a map before; I never had to pay much attention to specific details. I'll do my best to fix them, but I'm not all that talented with BSP.

What did you mean by some holes?

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 07:16:08 AM »
Sorry for the late feedback :)

The map looks very interesting.

I'd use a nice sun lighting for this map. Would look a lot better than the current lighting. This post will help you, it's not that hard.
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=714.msg221412#msg221412

Nice barrels, you just forgot to align two top textures. Btw. it's less effort to align stuff while creating the brush/es than doing it afterwards :)

And the screenshots...

Red: Rotate textures.
Yellow: There's a small edge.

Red: Misaligned top textures.

Blue: Add clip brushes there.
Yellow: I'd fill such corners with a gras brush. Would look better in my opinion. The clipping planes will help you to create triangle brushes.

Red: Here's a vis issue because of the rotated brushes. I'd try to avoid the rotation or make it more properly. Might be something for advanced mappers.
Blue: Some of the brushes doesn't fit because of the rotated brushes. I'd try to avoid the rotation or make it more properly. Might be something for advanced mappers.

Red: Scale down the textures for small boxes.

Red: Here're more edges/holes. I think it's that what T3RR0R15T meant.

Yellow: Scale down the textures for smaller boxes.

Red: I'd fill such corners with a gras brush. Would look better in my opinion. The clipping planes will help you to create triangle brushes.

Red: I'd fill such corners with a gras brush. Would look better in my opinion. The clipping planes will help you to create triangle brushes.

Blue: Scale down the textures for small boxes.

Red: Scale down the textures for small boxes.

Red: I'd extend these brushes down.
Yellow: In my opinion is this brush very annoying. Might be better to make it more flat that the brush doesn't block players.

Let me know if you need some help.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
Lots of texture alignment issues, as Chef-Killer pointed out, so I won't go into that.  My biggest concern is with the gameplay.  As I pointed out in my rating for the competition, there's really no flow between the high and low paths, and there's no reason to move around.  You spawn with everything, so people just spawn in and start spraying.  In DM, items provide objectives.  The only thing you have is the 1 autococker, I believe.  That's not enough of a reason to move and get shot since you spawn with pretty decent equipment.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »
hey, maybe get round to finishing this?