Author Topic: match scene diminishing  (Read 10972 times)

blaa

• Autococker
Re: match scene diminishing
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »
 Hm, so now it's important who in particular is stating their opinion?

Someone said that help has been offered many times, but it was turned down. Please, show me examples.

capo

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 02:41:12 AM »
Examples or proof? I can't show examples or proof.
But I've heard from many many people that jitspoe had people wanting to help but he refused, I've also heard eR33t was willing to help, but than was refused.

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 06:04:42 AM »
Every day, month, year the same problem and we already tried so many things and nothing happend and dp died like 500+ times. The Best Idea was the Electronic Sports League [ESL] to get this game famous but all laughed and noone helped. You all just say we have to do something but noone let an idea come true. Just stop making threads like this... Its over ...

Peace.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
Several people have made contributions (ViciouZ and T3RR0R15T are prime examples).  The problems come when people's contributions actually require more work from me.  For example, if somebody wanted to help maintain the dplogin database, I'd have to write some kind of interface for that, because I wouldn't want to give somebody full raw admin access to the database (too easy to screw things up beyond repair), and there aren't many people I would trust with that kind of responsibility, anyway.  I find it kind of weird that people seem to want to help out with the things they don't have access to, when there are a ton of things on the feature vote list that people could help out with that can be done with the already-available source code and whatnot.  That makes me believe that if everybody had full access to everything, things wouldn't change much.

Anyway, that's a bit of a tangent.  On the original topic, it's difficult to make the match scene grow, and I'm not sure what to do about it.  The problem is that this game requires a rather unique skill set that takes most people years to build up to a level that's competitive with today's match scene players.  The generic gaming masses aren't going to know how to strafe jump, do the various map-specific trick jumps, lead targets the correct amount, etc.  The community is also very unforgiving.  When a new player tries the game out, not only does he get throttled by the enemy team, his own team is going to get mad at him for getting in the way, letting the enemy capture the flag, etc.  On the off chance he gets good at the game in a short period of time, people will start accusing him of cheating, being a multi, etc.  An "I've been playing for years, there's no way some newbie can be this good" mentality.  Ironically, people get frustrated by the very thing the game needs to survive.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 04:07:25 PM »
I agree with your facts jitspoe, the fact that this game has lived this long is remarkable. Thanks for a decade and a half of dp2 :P

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »
I'm not really involved into matching, so let me show my view in more technical matter:
Several people have made contributions (ViciouZ and T3RR0R15T are prime examples).  The problems come when people's contributions actually require more work from me.
Fact, but IMO it isn't gonna change if you are 'brain' of everything. In my view, you should let others (i.e. people you mentioned) even take care of something, make them same level as you are. This can make them really involved.
For example, if somebody wanted to help maintain the dplogin database, I'd have to write some kind of interface for that, because I wouldn't want to give somebody full raw admin access to the database (too easy to screw things up beyond repair), and there aren't many people I would trust with that kind of responsibility, anyway.
There isn't anybody you trust in here. And that's IMO biggest problem. You want to control everything, everyone etc. etc. instead of making it open. If someone have skill to improve dplogin database and he is active for few years, why not let him help? But you look only what can go wrong. Sure, he can crash everything, this might force you to fix everything etc. But, if there would be more people helping, they help you fixing those problems, right? Yourself you can't do much, if you let many people help, even if somebody fails, others will fix that.

I find it kind of weird that people seem to want to help out with the things they don't have access to, when there are a ton of things on the feature vote list that people could help out with that can be done with the already-available source code and whatnot.  That makes me believe that if everybody had full access to everything, things wouldn't change much.
People that tries to help you should have access to things they need to. Let me give you my example, PAC of course: It is working even without your help. It doesn't need great modifications to make it run within paintball. I've put much effort to make it. But even so, you don't seem to care about it, nor about things that could be used to improve your anticheat (i sent you PM about my utility program some time ago, never got any response about that).
This is how this works: People see you made awesome game, they want to help, but you doesn't seem to want it, so they give up. I know that you are busy all the time, but that means someone should help you with everything. But instead you choose to make everything yourself, doesn't ask anyone for help. Then you say that nobody makes anything you need.
Sure, often nobody knows much as you do, but if you don't let anyone get involved, how could you expect that anyone will know those things?

You try to centralize everything to you, i think that you should decentralize most of things to people that would like to help with that.
So IMO you should rather let people you trust the most here help you with everything. This is only good thing you can do. If this success, you should keep inviting new people, until you think you've got enough. And if this fails, well, nobody said it have to work. It's just my idea about fixing this.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »
I looked around in that post, saw the word PAC, realised what was going on, typed this and closed the tab.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »
I looked around in that post, saw the word PAC, realized what was going on, typed this and closed the tab.

lmao (fixed your typo btw <3)

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 05:10:22 AM »
People that tries to help you should have access to things they need to. Let me give you my example, PAC of course: It is working even without your help. It doesn't need great modifications to make it run within paintball. I've put much effort to make it. But even so, you don't seem to care about it, nor about things that could be used to improve your anticheat (i sent you PM about my utility program some time ago, never got any response about that).

- Does PAC still get detected by antivirus software more frequently than PB2 does?
- Are you the person who would be in charge of looking at the logs of PAC?
- Does PAC require players to set it up if it was adopted into PB2?
- Can jitspoe actually work on PAC himself, or does he require you to do all the updating if someone happened to make an undetectable cheat to it? What would jitspoe do if you suddenly stopped caring about updating PAC?

I don't know how much has been resolved, but those are the things that can make PAC a not so worthwhile investment for jitspoe.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »
I given PAC as example. Do not make offtopic about PAC here, please ask in PAC thread ( http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=24526.0 ). Then i could answer your questions. Thanks.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
@Payl
Do not make offtopic about PAC ANYWHERE but in PAC thread ( http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=24526.0 ).