Author Topic: New Map - Arena2012  (Read 8219 times)

omni

• 68 Carbine
New Map - Arena2012
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:05:37 AM »
2 Base CTF
indoor
1 flag per team
guns : carbine and autococker
co2: 20oz
ammo : 100 start with 200 collectable
hopper:100 200 collectable
barrel : chrome

The map has one way to go although i may be extending this because of gameplay reasons every player starts off with carbine , loaded co2 , ammo ,  hopper and a barrell.

The wpoly and epoly

At the basses wpoly  averages at about 150-200
epoly is about 300 i estimate
in the center wpoly is 350-400 average epoly is about 600. You can make these judgements for yourself as the figures are in the demo attached

The basses are pretty small and may be prone to spawn killing
so platforms were added  to try and stop the spawn killing
the other error is texture misalignment which will be sorted out in the next beta (picture 3)
at the center of the map is are 2 autocockers  

thanks

Finished Beta 6 now
Included mapshot as well this time
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:14:16 AM by omni »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: newmap : arena12_b1
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »
A very small and simple map, but I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It needs a lot of polish.  There are a bunch of misaligned textures.  The barrels are too big.  There's some red brick on the blue side by the stairs.  Lots of wood textures need to be rotated.

I'd also consider scaling some things down and/or adding some ramps so you can jump on top of stuff to make the gameplay more interesting.

Also, you don't need to create an ent file.  Those are only for overriding map entities.  I've put it up on the beta server for play testing.  I'll PM you the password.

Edit: Also, I renamed the map file on the server; you had an extra "n".

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:51:39 AM »
I onlyade I small because it was a my first map and i didnt want to go with anything to extravagant

a lot of those errors have been fixed (the red wall) and all misalighned textures that have been spotted and I have to say thanks to T3RR0R1ST For helping me out with spooting those

I won't create an net file I just read in the mapping board somewhere that you needed files along with the map I was. I may add some ramps as well

As a final though should there be only one autococker in the middle or stick with the two

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »
Sorry for the late feedback, don't have much time at the moment. I'll try not to mention stuff that's already known or mentioned.

Nice to see, that the map doesn't leak, is lighted and that you don't want to go with anything to extravagant for your first maps. All in all, that's not the worst start.

I'll start with the entities. You have one flag for each team, so I guess you want to have a CTF map. CTF is "gamemode" "4" in the worldspawn. At the moment, you are using 2 (single flag).

I'm not sure why you're using two base entities for the 1st team. Might want to delete the double.

I wouldn't add the year to the message, to the map name and/or to the map itself. I did the same with dome, now i don't really it. But it's your choice.

Add "angle" "#" to the player spawns, that a player doesn't look in front of a wall after spawning.

There're two warnings while loading the map ingame (PB_droptofloor). These entities are one item_pballco2 entity and one item_pballammo entity in the red base. Just move these two entities out of the brush (the wall). If it's ok, the warning should disappear and you should see the entities ingame.

That's it with the entities.

In additional to the wrong barrel size, you should try not to use to many sides. You also need to change and align the bottom texture, too. At the moment you just changed the top textures.
Use 8 sides and a radius of 24 units (diameter of 48 units). After that change the top and bottom textures and lock the textures with Alt+L. Now you should be able to copy, duplicate and move the barrels around without destroying the textures. You could do the same with the boxes. Locking textures avoid lots of misalignments and can be very helpful, because it's much work to align all the stuff afterwards.

I can also add screenshots of misalignments after you fixed and aligned all stuff as best as you can. At the moment it's useless, if you've already fixed some stuff T3RR0R15T told you.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta! Keep on working :)

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
Nice map, especially for a first map.

As misaligned textures etc. have already been mentioned, I'll just put a couple of suggestions forward about how you could improve your map. The map is quite small, which as jitspoe said isn't necessarily a bad thing but from the base/spawn it looks like players will be likely to line to the right or left, leaving you not much room to move around or attack in the opposite base (sshot below, yellow lines represent where players will shoot) Having this in mind you might want to consider adding another route, perhaps from base to mid (sshots below, white lines represent this possible route). Also you have 2 sets of large boxes in each base, i think it would be nice to add a smaller one infront to allow players to get onto these boxes.

Just a couple of ideas from a quick look, but nice work so far   :)

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 04:36:38 AM »
Ah thanks for the feedback haven't really had much time at the moment will have some today and will probably have beta 2 out today until then there is nothing much to say.

Edit : because I'll say everything then

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: newmap : arena12_b2
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »
I hope this will be the very last beta and that the next release will be a final one

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:31:13 AM »
You really need to make sure you use a consistent name and make sure everything is typed correctly when putting out releases, even if they're beta.  You were calling the map arena2012 before, now it's arena12 in the text file, but the bsp is named arena_b3.bsp.

I've attached a demo with some suggestions.  There are still several textures that need to be aligned.  The map is up on the beta server.  I can't remember, did I give you the login for that so you could play test that?  You really need to play test your map with people before you can call it final.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:19:26 AM »
In additional to jitspoe's feedback...

The red high spawn needs a mirrored angle value. The player look in front of the wall after spawning. It's better on the blue side.

I miss 3 giveco2 entities at the blue base below the high spawn.

Maxplayers 30 in the mapinfo file doesn't fit the size of  the map in my opinion. The map isn't that big that it plays well with 30 players.

One screenshot:

Red: You shouldn't see that blue flag here. Move the texture a little bit or use a separate texture around the brush.
Green: I'd add clip brushes there.

Renamed the map to arena2012_b3, because there's already a beta map with the name arena. Tell me if we should use an other name for the map.

Online @ [OTB] Beta!

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »
Thank you for your feedback jitspoe and Chef-Killer i dont want you to think you are wasting your time i am continuing to make the map.

edit : yes you did give me the password
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:30:16 AM by omni »

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:54:09 AM »
Nice ;)

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
Had a few games on the beta servers was mainly the same things said

Good map but spawn killing was far too easy and common (probably because it's small).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »
You could spread the spawns out a bit, add some light to the dark rooms, make them about the same distance from the enemy base, and add spawns there so you have spawns in the bases and off in another room.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »
Good idea thanks for he feedback haven't been doing mutch lately because I'm working on the map in the deathmatch competition but I will improve it after that.

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap : Arena 2012
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 06:25:40 AM »
Ok just finished Beta 6 now i had forgot 1 thing Chef-Killer said so i added the clip brush on the flag brush also i moved a few lights around put them in cases or very small cages. Don't really know how it plays at the moment because I haven't tested it since but instant spawn killing is gone , I hope i have fixed all the problems now except maybe gameplay.

omni

• 68 Carbine
New Map - Arena2012
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 05:59:38 AM »
I have completed this map finally and I want to say thanks to everybody who helped out. I have been out the game for a while and it would be a shame to throw all my hard work away and the work of jitspoe, chef-killer
and others who helped analyse and correct this map so i had to finish it.

I ask server owners to give this map a trial if no one likes it no one likes it but please give the map a chance to succeed, thank you.

I also included the map file so that others can see how it was made.

Teams   : 2
Flags      : 2 (1 per team)
Guns      : 2 (carbine and autococker)
co2        : 1 (20oz)
Hopper   : 1 (white)
Ammo    : 1 (200)

Thanks !

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
Re: New Map - Arena2012
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 07:43:43 AM »
Merged both topics.

There're still some misaligned wood textures, but all in all a great work for your first map :)

Map is online @ our [OTB] servers!

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »
Thanks.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »
Put it up on EV1.  Nobody seemed to hate it, so that's good.  You can grab and cap super fast, but the side paths seem super long by comparison.  Still, they're good for sneaking around when people are focused on the battle directly in front of them.  In future maps, you should try to balance paths a little more and make it so it's not a super fast straight shot from one flag to the other.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
A few things...
pic1: I'd move this face down.

pic2: I'd rotate these faces and make them a little bigger so it looks abit more realistic.

pic3:I'd rotate these faces.

pic4: Would'nt it be better if you had it against the wall like all the other lights?