Author Topic: [Feature] Demo Playback from Other Player's Point of View  (Read 3674 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
[Feature] Demo Playback from Other Player's Point of View
« on: August 07, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
I'm not sure on this, I think it would be possible to add a command that would switch the camera to play back from another player's perspective when watching a demo.  Things like HUD information would not be available, and it wouldn't work in situations where the other player was not rendered due to map visibility, but it could be useful for trying to identify cheaters without having to post demo requests.

http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10292

gonass

• 68 Carbine
Re: [Feature] Demo Playback from Other Player's Point of View
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 07:54:06 PM »
That would be great.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:15 AM »
Yes Please! Number 1 priority IMO.

nub

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »
Along with demo controls

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
Maybe I am missing the point here, but how would this help identify cheaters if it only works when they are visible?  I suppose it could help spot an obvious aimbot but that might be it?

Would probably be a lot more work, but I think a global demo would be much better.  By global I mean a recording of the whole match from every players perspective along with a controllable ghost camera which could be moved anywhere in the map. 

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:53:30 PM »
Isn't that the server demo feature? Something like that is already implemented (if i remember right), but i don't know how to play/view it.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
Maybe I am missing the point here, but how would this help identify cheaters if it only works when they are visible?  I suppose it could help spot an obvious aimbot but that might be it?
When their position is sent to you. And when their position is sent to you, you can wallhack them also. So if their wallhack can see you, your demo can also seem them. This isn't only when they are visible under default server configuration but also when you can soon see eachother (and this is when wallhack works).

IMO best option is simply improving anticheat meybe with parts of PAC. I don't really believe that people can spot goodly hidden aimbot/wallhack, it's better to have technical solution...

I can clearly remember opengl replacement hack. Wasn't detected, everyone said "he isn't walling" on demos that were requested until finally MyeRs showed that it's all big lie. Do you still believe in demos? I don't.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 04:56:19 PM »
When their position is sent to you. And when their position is sent to you, you can wallhack them also. So if their wallhack can see you, your demo can also seem them. This isn't only when they are visible under default server configuration but also when you can soon see eachother (and this is when wallhack works).

IMO best option is simply improving anticheat meybe with parts of PAC. I don't really believe that people can spot goodly hidden aimbot/wallhack, it's better to have technical solution...

I can clearly remember opengl replacement hack. Wasn't detected, everyone said "he isn't walling" on demos that were requested until finally MyeRs showed that it's all big lie. Do you still believe in demos? I don't.

I think one of the reasons that hack worked well for them was from farther distances they couldn't see you.  But right around a corner they could.  I think there are some people using something similar still.

imnotpayl

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
I think one of the reasons that hack worked well for them was from farther distances they couldn't see you.  But right around a corner they could.  I think there are some people using something similar still.
It's not as simple as 'far distances'. This relies on map drawing i believe.
And if people are able of getting away with those hacks what is sense of demo-based checking?
As far as i know opengl replacement cheat would be detected by XY anticheat measurement. This is capable of getting most similar hackers. But there are always ways to prevent detection...
Anyway my point is: this can still only show obvious cheats. Moreover, there will be always someone who will consider demo of sth a proof of cheating, blablabla (not to confuse with blaa). I don't really believe this will change anything.

(Nevermind my fake nickname).

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 08:06:10 PM »
It's not as simple as 'far distances'. This relies on map drawing i believe.
And if people are able of getting away with those hacks what is sense of demo-based checking?
As far as i know opengl replacement cheat would be detected by XY anticheat measurement. This is capable of getting most similar hackers. But there are always ways to prevent detection...
Anyway my point is: this can still only show obvious cheats. Moreover, there will be always someone who will consider demo of sth a proof of cheating, blablabla (not to confuse with blaa). I don't really believe this will change anything.

(Nevermind my fake nickname).

If they used the hack that I think they did, once a player is a certain distance away it shows them through the wall.