Author Topic: [Feature][Server Browser]Notification on User-Specified Filters  (Read 2510 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
[Feature][Server Browser]Notification on User-Specified Filters
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
This would be a feature for the standalone server browser where you could set up various filters and, and the server browser would poll the servers every few minutes and pop up a notification when the conditions match.

Filters could include anything available to the server browser:
- map name
- server name / ip
- player name
- player count
- elim time and other cvars
- ping
etc.

So if you wanted to play a particular map on a local server that had people playing, you could add a filter:
map = yourfavoritemap
player count > 0
ping < 150

or something like that, then just leave the server browser running, and a windows tray notification would pop up letting you know when people were playing that map.

It could also be useful for letting you know when friends are playing.

http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10295

Foxhound

• Autococker
Re: [Feature][Server Browser]Notification on User-Specified Filters
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »
make this available IN GAME and it's a great idea.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
make this available IN GAME and it's a great idea.
So you plan to leave the game running 24/7 and just wait for a server to meet your criteria?  I don't think you understand the point of this feature vote.  It's so you can leave the server browser in the tray and do other stuff, and when a map/whatever pops up that you want to play, it will notify you, then you can click and join the match.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »
I'm trying to say the out of game  server browser is only open (at least on my computer) before I want to join a match. And when I say match i mean clan war.

Example of this... when someone would send me match info for super match 1, I'm not using the in game server browser because I can't sort the server names as I can on the out of game  server browser. The in game browser seems to put them in random order after showing the highest populated servers first. Joining a match I'm usually first or second in, which means i have to sift through ALLL of the servers in game being as there is no way to sort them.

No one I know of leaves the out of game server browser open all day and I'm sure none of the newly downloaded newbs know it even exists. I don't think I knew about it until I was on IRC and someone mentioned it.

Why not put the efforts into an in game one that shows who's inside of the servers, so the newbs can find their friends and so its much more accessible to arrange the servers by ping, population, name.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
Example of this... when someone would send me match info for super match 1, I'm not using the in game server browser because I can't sort the server names as I can on the out of game  server browser. The in game browser seems to put them in random order after showing the highest populated servers first. Joining a match I'm usually first or second in, which means i have to sift through ALLL of the servers in game being as there is no way to sort them.

Try this menu file (its from ViciouZ):

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »
There's a different feature vote for the friends list (http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10262) and player search (http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10103) for the in-game browser, if that's what you want.

The standalone server browser can minimize to the tray, and it's very light as far as resources go, so you can just leave it running in the background.  There's not a reason to, now, but with this feature, it could help you find the games/maps you want to play, if they don't come up that often.

I'd personally play more often if I was notified when a good map was playing on a 60sec respawn server.