Author Topic: Feature Request: Player power balance.  (Read 5223 times)

Narga

• 68 Carbine
Feature Request: Player power balance.
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:48:47 AM »
This feature is a server side option.

Players with larger kill/cap streaks will start experiencing weaknesses (lower firing rate, lower accuracy, lower range, lower speed, etc).

Players with larger death streaks will start experiencing strengths (higher firing rate, higher accuracy, higher range, higher speed, etc).

The intended effect of this feature is to give newbies a chance when playing against veterans.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Feature Request: Player power balance.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »
I vote no.

ascraeus

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »
Hell no.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »
This will kill the game even harder, and Newbies wont learn. You know how long it took for us to get used to the new ball speed? The newbs will be going nuts if its fluctuating.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
no

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
So you benefit from being a worse player? Doesn't make any sense. That's a definite NO from my side.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:52:24 PM »
I thought this would be useful in 1v1. I played a game against a newbie on a map with lots of jumps and two flags per base. I won about 50 to 9 (a more experienced player eventually joined the game).

The effects don't have to be too large, just enough so veterans don't beat newbies like 50 to 0 in 1v1 games.

Also, giving newbies a chance when playing against veterans isn't the only purpose of this feature, it could also be useful just to make games more challenging.

So you benefit from being a worse player? Doesn't make any sense. That's a definite NO from my side.

Think of it how the lower your position is in Mario Kart, the better power ups you get. For example, if I'm in 8th place in Mario Kart, there's a higher chance of getting the star power up or the blue shell, but if I'm in 1st place I'll get less powerful things like the green shell or a Banana.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »
now you're stretching this....

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »
now you're stretching this....

I'm not requesting those things, I'm just using Mario Kart as an example on how it benefits players who are loosing.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
I like that you're trying to find solutions to integrate new players more easy, hoping that more players will join the game and stay. This is very commendable and it would be great if others would do that, too. But for this idea it looks like the "feedback" of the people is clearly. However, this idea can be interesting for a XP system sometime.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 03:22:11 PM »
A lot of games have methods for giving worse players a chance to still have fun - as you said, Mario Kart bends the rules of luck, CoD has deathstreaks, some games have configurable handicaps, but the key thing that is shared between them is that they give occasional boosts - they don't give bad players a permanent advantage. That just leads to bad players winning, which influences their stats so that they are seen as "good" and lose their bonuses, whereas those who were beaten unfairly using the bonuses are then given an artificial advantage on top of their natural one. The cycle repeats. Also, it's hard to calculate how much of a "boost" each player should get in a server with many players of different skills on each team.

+1 for good intentions, I just don't see it being at all workable. Some people are just bad.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »
I could see this being a separate game mode, every time you kill someone you get a small handicap, every time you die you get a small advantage.  Might be some fun...

I agree with everyone else though, for normal game modes this is a bad idea.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »
I could see this being a separate game mode, every time you kill someone you get a small handicap, every time you die you get a small advantage.  Might be some fun...

I agree with everyone else though, for normal game modes this is a bad idea.

this leads to better bot AI +1000000000 and horde mode :D

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »
How about in pubs balancing teams based on kdr?  That would be better...

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 04:53:10 AM »
no

SpeedUSA

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
I agree that changing the rate of fire/speed/etc. would not be good.

Instead, I recommend that the server start to limit better players to PGPs or other lesser guns and prevent them from picking up grenades.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »
No.

In pubs most people, who have high k/d ratios, don't have because they are that skilled, but because they are camping at spawn points and continuously killing freshly respawned players. If you figure out sth to do about THAT, it would be better.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »
as a pro u can simply dominate everyone on a pub if u really want to.
My skill level(which is not very high) already gives me some idea about that.

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
What about if you have high kdr your co2 bottle would empty faster and hopper "accidentally" opens and you will drop ammo so skilled player has to reload more often and get co2 bottles.