Author Topic: Build 37  (Read 14294 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Build 37
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:38:11 PM »
This build includes a bunch of changes to the menu buttons, dialogs, and popup system to help make the UI look more polished and be less annoying (no more dialogs that you have to click [OK] on when your get auto-switched).  There are also a bunch of other tweaks and bug fixes.

build 37 client/engine:
- Feature: Server list sorting by type (name/ping/map/players). (Thanks, ViciouZ)
- Feature: Console input history is saved. 2:11 AM 10/3/2012
- Feature: Added buttons to menu system.
- Feature: Added "include" functionality to menu system. 2:43 PM 10/30/2012
- Feature: Text in the menus now goes through the translation system (to make supporting other languages easier). 11:26 PM 11/1/2012
- Bugfix: Fixed ability to translate dialog strings. 11:01 PM 9/26/2012
- Bugfix: Fixed bug where if you switched to full screen in a lower resolution and the window was too far to the side, the mouse would constantly register as moving. 2:28 PM 10/6/2012
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue with "getmaplist" command that was sometimes causing not all of the list to populate on the voting screen. 9:58 PM 10/29/2012
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug in my hash algorithm where it was allocating 1 less element than it should. 11:10 PM 11/1/2012
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug where if you clicked on a menu item, then moved the mouse off of it, the item would be stuck selected. 10:32 PM 11/5/2012
- Tweak: Stripped leading spaces off of server names in the server browser. 11:23 PM 10/2/2012
- Tweak: "map" command checks for the map in the "beta" and "inprogress" directories as well as the root maps directory. 9:28 PM 10/3/2012
- Tweak: Switched mouse turn variables to floating point for better turning precision. 9:49 PM 10/5/2012
- Tweak: Made it so the mouse cursor uses the windows mouse cursor position in windowed mode at the menu, and you can resize/move the window while the menu is open. 11:06 PM 10/5/2012
- Tweak: "getmaplist" command now outputs results to the console if the console is down.  9:59 PM 10/29/2012
- Tweak: "maplist" forwards to "getmaplist" command to stop overflows. 10:01 PM 10/29/2012
- Tweak: Revamped dialog boxes to use new bpic and wordwrap system and support translations. 10:33 PM 11/5/2012
- Tweak: Only attempt to auto-login if a password is set. 10:54 PM 11/5/2012
- Tweak: Made profile login failures display more informative dialogs instead of a generic one and printing the actual error to the console. 9:10 PM 11/6/2012
- Cvar: "m_fovscale" - If enabled, scales the mouse turn speed based on your FOV.  At 90 degrees there is no difference, if you zoom in or out, you will turn slower or faster, respectively.  Set to 0 to disable.
- Cvar: "cl_drawfps" - Added a new option, 3, which displays the lowest framerate every half second.  Useful for detecting single-frame drops. 11:32 PM 10/5/2012
- Cvar: "cl_menu" - Can be used to specify a subdirectory for custom menu files. (Thanks, T3RR0R15T)
- Command: "menu_refresh" - Optimized version of "menu_reload".  Only refreshes the current menu and does not reload menus from disk.  (Useful for advanced menu scripting). 10/6/2012
- Media: Revamped a bunch of the menus to use buttons and better backgrounds / borders.
- Media: Some tweaks to the tutorial map.

1.926 (build 182) game dll:
- Made g_autorecord 2 only record on dedicated password protected servers, so if you start a local server and have a password set, it won't generate a bunch of useless demo files by default. 10:12 PM 9/18/2012
- Optimized entity searching in game code to improve server performance. 10:34 PM 9/18/2012
- Added an epsilon check to flag returns to hopefully fix the multi-flag-return bug when the flag is just slightly off from the base. 11:59 PM 9/18/2012
- Don't kick people into observer for idling in the tutorial map. 12:02 AM 9/19/2012
- Killed players velocity when he hits a tutorial dialog on the tutorial map so people are less likely to trigger multiple dialogs. 12:16 AM 9/19/2012
- Made it so people can't wave while moving, instead of stopping players when they move. 11:25 PM 9/25/2012
- Fixed a bug with bad a team/skin index when switching to observer and suiciding with grenades. 11:57 PM 9/25/2012
- Fixed people being able to suicide with grenades and kill (former) teammates. 12:55 AM 9/26/2012
- Changed sv_minclientbuild kick message to "You need build XX or higher.  http://www.digitalpaint.org/"  Unfortunately it's limited to 64 characters so I couldn't get more than that.  8:19 PM 9/26/2012
- Tweaked "newmap" command to check for maps in the "beta/" and "inprogress/" directory. 12:55 AM 9/27/2012
- Stripped formatting from names when using the "listuserip" command. 6:10 PM 10/6/2012
- Fixed server shutting down with no spawn points when loading a map in elim mode that has spawn points that are all set to specific game modes. 10:47 PM 10/14/2012
- Added "lastmap" command - displays the map that was played before the current one. 5:29 PM 10/21/2012
- Made it so people can't use reserved/inappropriate names while not logged in. 8:35 PM 10/21/2012
- Added wildcards to the "rotation del" command (also fixed some bad logic that could lead to crashes). 10:42 PM 10/21/2012

Pretest release:

Win32:
Full:
http://digitalpaint.org/files/temp/paintball2_build037_full_pretest1b.exe
Update:
http://digitalpaint.org/files/temp/paintball2_build037_update_pretest1b.exe

Linux:
Full:
http://digitalpaint.org/files/temp/paintball2_build037_linux_full_pretest1.tar.gz
Update:
http://digitalpaint.org/files/temp/paintball2_build037_linux_patch_pretest1.tar.gz

As always, you're responsible for updating should any exploits be discovered in this build.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:14:42 PM by jitspoe »

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Build 37
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:42:17 AM »

- Feature: Server list sorting by type (name/ping/map/players). (Thanks, ViciouZ)

<3

All my pings are either Red or Orange ;)

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:02:42 AM »
brilliant build
lounch it!!!

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 05:30:17 AM »
no bugs found by me till now in this build 8)

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
Nice build :)

Sorting the server list by type seems useful, but it messed up the feature that the "best" servers are on top. Maybe the individual sorting should be reset by updating the server list in-game.
On the serverlist sorting, the idea is to put the "best" servers near the top of the list.  Sometimes you'd be better off joining an empty server and waiting for players than trying to play on a server that has 5-6x's the ping.  In practice, the ping differences aren't usually that extreme, so populated servers will be at the top of the list, and maybe a couple high-ping servers with 1 or 2 people may show up below an empty low ping server

Not sure if it's just me, but I don't like the look of the new buttons. Sometimes they look out of place, e.g. the "More Options" button at "Start New Game".

The translations are great. Maybe we could add different language files to the download and add a language screen where new players can select their language when starting paintball the first time.

I really like the new dialog boxes. They look great and seem to work well. Great job here ;)

Some more very nice and helpful changes. Thanks!

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »
Sorting the server list by type seems useful, but it messed up the feature that the "best" servers are on top. Maybe the individual sorting should be reset by updating the server list in-game.

yes, it might be a good idea to change the initial
Code: [Select]
command "serverlist_update" in play_joinserver.txt to
Code: [Select]
command "serverlist_order 0;serverlist_update"

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
Bugs:
- The demos aren't listed in the menu anymore.
- Website Link/Button is outplaced.
- Dialog boxes will be closed automatically. Normally i have to click the OK button. (default mouse position at the OK button?)

Ideas / Tweaks:
- Grey out the "play" button in the demo menu until the user selects a demo file. If i click on the "play" button without having something selected or typed in, i get a "ERROR: Couldn't load maps/.dm2.bsp.". 1) That could confuse new players. 2) Why is there a .dm2.bsp and not .dm2 or .bsp?
- Same on the serverlist: Grey out the "play" button until the user selects a server. If thats too complicated, what about a popup (like the password message from the profile screen)?
- The "lastmap" command should show something ("unknown" for example), if the value is empty. That happens if i load a (new) map with the map command.
- The "nextmap" command should show the next map (if someone used the command before, if not write "Next map is: a surprise" or something like that).
- Update the default "Min Client Build" in play_moreoptions.txt
- Change the background in noprofile.txt to conback (to make the dialog better readable).

I found your new easter egg: "Paint in Paintball"
Type "dialog otb" or "menu newversion" in the console, press enter and let it pressed. If you now move around with the mouse, you can paint (until you click the dialog's OK button).

Everything else: Very nice :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 03:31:23 PM »
Not sure if it's just me, but I don't like the look of the new buttons. Sometimes they look out of place, e.g. the "More Options" button at "Start New Game".
Do you not like them because of the design, or do you not like them because they don't match the design of other UI elements.  If the rest of the UI was updated to look more like the new buttons, would you like them better?

- The demos aren't listed in the menu anymore.
They aren't?  Do you have any demo files?

- Website Link/Button is outplaced.
Crap, I guess I need to fix that.  Not sure how I missed it.

- Dialog boxes will be closed automatically. Normally i have to click the OK button. (default mouse position at the OK button?)
How are you opening the dialogs?  I made the OK button selected by default to allow people to jut hit Enter to close them.  If you type "dialog whatever" in the console and hit enter, the enter key will be registered on the OK button.  I don't think it will be an issue for normal dialogs, but maybe I will have to change that behavior.

Ideas / Tweaks:
- Grey out the "play" button in the demo menu until the user selects a demo file. If i click on the "play" button without having something selected or typed in, i get a "ERROR: Couldn't load maps/.dm2.bsp.". 1) That could confuse new players. 2) Why is there a .dm2.bsp and not .dm2 or .bsp?
- Same on the serverlist: Grey out the "play" button until the user selects a server. If thats too complicated, what about a popup (like the password message from the profile screen)?
- The "lastmap" command should show something ("unknown" for example), if the value is empty. That happens if i load a (new) map with the map command.
- The "nextmap" command should show the next map (if someone used the command before, if not write "Next map is: a surprise" or something like that).
- Update the default "Min Client Build" in play_moreoptions.txt
- Change the background in noprofile.txt to conback (to make the dialog better readable).

I found your new easter egg: "Paint in Paintball"
Type "dialog otb" or "menu newversion" in the console, press enter and let it pressed. If you now move around with the mouse, you can paint (until you click the dialog's OK button).

Everything else: Very nice :D
Greying out buttons would be a nice to have, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort.  I doubt anybody will care about "lastmap" when the server first starts.  "nextmap" is reserved for ops/admins, so using it as a general information command for any user wouldn't work.  Also, the only time the next map is certain is if somebody has just used the nextmap command, otherwise you won't know until the votes have been added.  It can also change depending on if people join/leave the server, so you really don't know until the map changing executes.

I took the background of of the noprofile to make it more obivous that there was a game menu behind it, and it wasn't just some bland text/dialog as the first thing to greet new players.  I could possibly add a more transparent background if you think it's that unreadable.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »
They aren't?  Do you have any demo files?

Yes, i installed the full version in a new folder and recorded a demo in the tutorial map.

Edit: I got it, it works. It looks like the list will be updated if the game starts. So i have to restart the game after i recorded a demo to view it in the list. I only minimized it before.

Edit2: Is there a way to translate the "or" in the tutorial map popups (if a command has two keys: [ Z or Y ])?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
Yes, i installed the full version in a new folder and recorded a demo in the tutorial map.

Edit: I got it, it works. It looks like the list will be updated if the game starts. So i have to restart the game after i recorded a demo to view it in the list. I only minimized it before.

Edit2: Is there a way to translate the "or" in the tutorial map popups (if a command has two keys: [ Z or Y ])?

Hmm, perhaps that menu should be refreshed every time it is opened.

The "or" cannot currently be translated.  It's hard coded.  It also displays in the key binding screen.  Perhaps I can make that translate in the future.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »
Do you not like them because of the design, or do you not like them because they don't match the design of other UI elements.  If the rest of the UI was updated to look more like the new buttons, would you like them better?
It's more that they don't match the design of the other UI elements. The Global Login Profile looks good apart from the confusing background text.

subir11

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
Cool, Launch it plz :D

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »
I've got a crash, i hope you can reproduce it.

- Download this map: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25472.0;attach=9713
- Open the game and load that map (map beta/dungeon_b4)
- The game stopped working at "Match begins in 11  seconds" (Debug message: Integer division by zero | sv_main.c | ge->RunFrame(); - but the windows event manager shows me gamex86.dll as the reason)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »
Linux pretest added to the first post.

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
Linux version (client)  seems fine (from limited testing)

Thanks to Valve working with Nvidia on its Linux drivers there has been a serious speed up, which is nice.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/07/nvidia-double-geforce-performance-for-linux-drivers/

The only issues remaining are

1. sound (I am actually going to the bother of compiling my own kernel to have oss sound in Kubuntu at present) however improved openal support is planned (possibly)
2. the fact that when you press tab it cycles really fast.

Like the new menu btw

Cheers

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
All of my normal servers have been upgraded to build 37.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »
Yeah, for some reason Linux has the key repeating on tab.  Haven't gotten around to figuring out what's up with that yet.

I have the build uploaded to SF now.  Just need to update the main site.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
News updated.  Could somebody verify that the downloads are working properly?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
Works, but the old screens on the screenshot page are away. Is that right?

MarawaNa

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »
lol if terrorist didn't complain so much we would still be on build 16, i personally haven't noticed any difference to all these builds apart from the oldmodels being removed and new sounds being put in