Author Topic: Having problems getting PB2 to run in Linux  (Read 5286 times)

Em3rald

Having problems getting PB2 to run in Linux
« on: June 25, 2006, 11:37:41 PM »
Hi.  I've been playing PB2 quite a bit in my windblows portion of my computer, but I am rapidly becoming a faithful Linux user, but I am having some difficulty installing Paintball under my linux installation.  I have downloaded the Linux tarball and extracted it into my user directory, but from there I am stumped.

OS:  Ubuntu Linux 6.06LTS (Dapper Drake official release).
GUI:  Gnome
Specs:  Sempron 2600+ 1GB DDR GeForce FX5600

I know, not the sweetest gaming machine, but it runs PB2 just peachy under Windblows XP Pro.  But we all know how fuggin buggy and insecure Windblows is.  So here I am with my spiffy, relatively fresh upgrade of Ubuntu and I can't get the game to run.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Em
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:21:59 AM by webhead »

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
Re: Installing in Linux - need help.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 11:58:12 PM »
You might help us by telling exactly what errors you are getting or something on that line.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 12:09:20 AM »
Just extract it and run the paintball2 executable.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 12:27:14 AM »
you will either need to link your libGL.so to run it, or start the game with:
./paintball2 +set gl_driver libGL.so

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 08:43:04 AM »
you will either need to link your libGL.so to run it, or start the game with:
./paintball2 +set gl_driver libGL.so

That's a pretty good solution :P
We need to work on getting paintball2 to a working out of the box state in linux to keep some of the players that leave after a couple days of playing with no sound/2fps.  I can say that I've had more trouble getting DP to work properly in linux than Warsow, Tremulous, and ET combined.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 03:07:49 PM »
Yeah, if you don't want to release it as a bunch of different linux packages for different distros, then I highly recommend using Loki Setup to make a universal linux installer for it which will use the correct libGL.so that it finds on the machine, and also have dpball use a local folder for when its isntalled as root, like the game is in /usr/local/games/paintball2/ the binary link is /usr/local/bin/paintball2, and all user files for the game are stored in ~/.paintball2/ :)
Also it would be cool to have audio :P

Em3rald

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 03:11:48 PM »
Thanks for the info folks.  I am about to try the various solutions right now.

As far as error messages from before, I wasn't getting any ... in fact, nothing happened at all.  I would doubleclick on the executable (in the extracted folder) and poof ... nothing would happen.  Wouldn't even hit the HD.  But I'll try the command line (or create a menu item with it) and let you know how it works for me. :D

With regards to packages ... you could leave that to the community for each distro.  I mean, as far as I am aware, once a package is available for the debian community (Ubuntu is based on Debian), it is very quickly made available to redhat (RPM), and other repositories.  I would love to just be able to apt-get install as per usual ;D

Em

Em3rald

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:18:18 PM »
Okay, here's the output in console:

$ ~/paintball2/paintball2 +set gl_driver libGL.so
Paintball 2 -- Version 3.21+r0.16
couldn't exec configs/default.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
Initializing Linux sound.
sound sampling rate: 11025
------------------------------------
------- Loading ref_glx.so -------
LoadLibrary("ref_glx.so") failed: No such file or directory
recursive shutdown
Error: Couldn't load gl refresh!
em3rald@Mikes:~$ sudo apt-get install ref_glx.so
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ref_glx.so
em3rald@Mikes:~$
em3rald@Mikes:~$ Console initialized.
bash: Console: command not found
em3rald@Mikes:~$
em3rald@Mikes:~$ ------- sound initialization -------
bash: -------: command not found
em3rald@Mikes:~$ Initializing Linux sound.
bash: Initializing: command not found
em3rald@Mikes:~$ sound sampling rate: 11025
bash: sound: command not found
em3rald@Mikes:~$ ------------------------------------
bash: ------------------------------------: command not found
em3rald@Mikes:~$ ------- Loading ref_glx.so -------
bash: -------: command not found
em3rald@Mikes:~$ LoadLibrary("ref_glx.so") failed: No such file or directory
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `"ref_glx.so"'
em3rald@Mikes:~$ recursive shutdown
bash: recursive: command not found
em3rald@Mikes:~$ Error: Couldn't load gl refresh!

So, any ideas?  I am going to present this conundrum to the ubuntu forums (if I can't find any previous threads) and I will post here about it :D

Em

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 03:24:46 PM »
ref_glx.so should be in the paintball2 directory.  You need to run it from the paintball2 directory so it can find the file.

Em3rald

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 03:32:54 PM »
Kay, I actually found some info on Ubuntoforums.org, and then a link back to THIS forum here:

http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=2406.0

And the instructions there fixed the problem.  Sound is patchy - I 'do' have sound, but it cuts in and out.  I'm off to see how it plays ...

Em

Em3rald

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 03:42:39 PM »
Okay ... spoke too soon.  I still have a peculiar problem.

Game boots to menu as per usual, but my mouse is rammed to the top of the screen.  I 'CAN' move it down, but as soon as I touch the mouse it creeps rather quickly to the top of the screen.  Very strange.

I can navigate the menus using the arrows, and I can adjust all the settings just fine that way.

If I go to the JOIN game, however, as soon as I try to navigate around with the arrows, the game crashes and closes with no error messages.

If I start my OWN game, it seems to work, but I am perpetually staring at the ceiling.  If I pull down, I can look down momentarily, but it always creeps up to the ceiling again.

And I only moved about for about 20 seconds before quitting, but my FPS looks okay.

Any thoughts?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 04:19:35 PM »
Sounds more like a mouse issue than a pball issue.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 04:24:37 PM »
It's an issue with the 3d acceleration probably not installed properly on your system.  It's not an input problem, just everything is running at 1fps.

I think I had to install the Radeon Drivers to get it to work properly.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 04:45:12 PM »
Probably a lack of dga mouse support.  The next version should do away with that.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 06:35:41 PM »
What I do the fix the mouse bug is usually try to use a different version of libGL.so from my /usr/lib/, and if that doesn't work then I fire up another game, then go back to paintball2 and it usually works, lol.

Em3rald

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 09:15:56 PM »
What I do the fix the mouse bug is usually try to use a different version of libGL.so from my /usr/lib/, and if that doesn't work then I fire up another game, then go back to paintball2 and it usually works, lol.

I tried that with a couple of other GL games with no success.  Is there a particular game you typically use for this (inane, but whatever works) procedure?

Which version of libGL have you had the most success with?

And to some of the other posters:  Well, my driver installation works great for pretty much everything else, so I think it can be assumed that it is installed correctly; and the mouse works fine for EVERYTHING else, it only causes issues in the menus and in the game; if I go into the game's console mode, it seems to work fine.  This leads me to believe it has something to do with the way pball uses the various drivers .... and my FPS was fine, over 40 in 1280x1024 w/ full detail & busy screen (haven't looked at water yet though)

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 09:31:51 PM »
I run Quake 4 whenever my mouse goes crazy, sometimes I just restart X, and I use libGL.so.1 from my nvidia-glx install.

40 fps seems a little low, usually I get 60 FPS nomatter how bad of a computer I'm on.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 10:12:35 AM »
Also, make sure you set in_dgamouse to 1.