Author Topic: Digital Paintball 2 texture problem  (Read 4510 times)

-TCQ-

• PGP
Digital Paintball 2 texture problem
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »
Hi,
I have a problem, I updated my game and now some maps dont have the right textures anymore, when i enter the game it says "cant load textures..." i´ve had such problem before also, but i dont remember anymore how did i fix it last time.
I uploaded a pic for example:

Any help appreciated.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Digital Paintball 2 texture problem
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »
Its simple you don't have the textures. The server you are one doesnt either. You could also possibly have it so you can't download them as well. I think there is an option to enable downloading textures in the video settings.  Find out which textures you are missing it will tell you when you load and I could be so kind to put a texture folder together for you.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
Looks like you're playing a jump map.  Most of those are actually made for Quake2, not Paintball2, so they use the Quake2 textures.  Those textures aren't included with Paintball2.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 07:54:52 PM »
Looks like you're playing a jump map.  Most of those are actually made for Quake2, not Paintball2, so they use the Quake2 textures.  Those textures aren't included with Paintball2.
just a question, why aren't they included? Wouldn't it make sense that Quake2 textures are included for the jump maps when you download the game, it would really benefit this game by presenting at least some decent textures, rather then no textures. Majority of new players will think bad about this no textures thing and there oppion about this game will be "this game suckZ", remember presentation is one of the most important factor in attracting new players.

There are more players who play in the jump servers then there are in pubs.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
You can't legally distribute the Quake game resources like that due to copyright.  Go find a copy of Quake II on steam or ebay or something and you can get the files for the textures.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »
You can't legally distribute the Quake game resources like that due to copyright.  Go find a copy of Quake II on steam or ebay or something and you can get the files for the textures.
why not have a default set of texture pack that automatically loads if there is missing texture(s)? To be more specific, why not have texture(s) that are constant throughout out the jump maps. So of there is a dark map, have a set of dark texture(s) that will automatically be implemented onto the missing texture(s) and vise-versa. I can see the flaws in my statement but, if anyone could think of a better way, please share it.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »
if anyone could think of a better way, please share it.

Go find a copy of Quake II on steam or ebay or something and you can get the files for the textures.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »
There are a lot of high res texture replacement packs for Quake 2. If the author permits it, it would be possible to just scale them down or maybe even use them as is. Should probably be an optional download though.

-TCQ-

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 03:10:03 PM »
ok Ty for the answers :)

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »
There are a lot of high res texture replacement packs for Quake 2. If the author permits it, it would be possible to just scale them down or maybe even use them as is. Should probably be an optional download though.
why should it be a separate download? From a new players prespective that would just be something stupid; searching + downloading. Isn't that annoying ? Do you think that a new player will even bother searching and downloading that? Let's face reality it would be MUCH better if a player wouldnt have to do it, because people have changed it's not the 1700s where you have to do everything by yourself people prefer to have most/everything automatic in other words not have to go all that hassle inorder to have a better presentation of a map. I'll say this again, presentation is KEY for attracting players. This hassle can be solved and if it's not, just remember players are going to think bad of this game and most likely thing of this game like a game on miniclip or something, which is not a good thing, but the problem is anyone going to execute it?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
This is Paintball2.  It's not the Quake2 jump mod.