Author Topic: Feature: Central repository for mapshots  (Read 2895 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Feature: Central repository for mapshots
« on: May 10, 2013, 05:49:10 AM »
Add a central repository for mapshots, where the game can download it if a client doesn't have the file.

TRION

• 68 Carbine
Re: Feature: Central repository for mapshots
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 12:01:26 AM »
yes I liked it as the new build supports pics so i think it would be better than the grey box :P
+1

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »
I think that mappers should create the mapsshots themselves, so of every map there is one existing.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 03:45:42 AM »
Hm...most of them would have a different quality then. Also what happens with all the old maps and the maps that aren't posted on this forum then?

I think if a mapper releases a mapshot with the map, he wants to have that special part of the map. It should be ok then. But for all other mapshots some of the current packs should work well. Missing mapshots can be added from time to time. There's no need that all mapmakers do it for their own maps.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
With this update though, i played common maps and had no map shots. Someone needs to do something or this isn't worth the time it took to make the loading screen.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 02:42:15 PM »
I think this was mentioned before, but making a feature vote for this isn't going to make a difference, me and rockyar are the only two who will probably vote on it for a while, and even so it wont go to the top of the list. the list is flawed in that the more votes something has, deems it more important. Might as well just make a list, and rank them yourself jitspoe.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »
The list isn't an absolute order of priority.  It's just used to help me gauge what I should focus on.  It also provides a somewhat centralized task list that the community could contribute to.

In any case, I don't know that a centralized mapshot repository is a super high priority.  If a bunch of people vote for it, perhaps I'll change my mind, but I think things like a single player mode, better textures, improved tutorial/first time experience, performance improvements, etc. would all be above this.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »
I agree, but your new load screen looks horrid when there is no pictures. If I was new to the game, I would think something was wrong.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »
I should really make a "no preview available" type image for those - it would be a lot easier than a feature of this magnitude.