Author Topic: New York  (Read 45662 times)

Ace

• Autococker
Re: New York Beta 11: Speed/Trick Jumps
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
Misalignments can be tricky because if I drag the thing to align in one spot, it misaligns in another. I'll see what I can do.

If you align everything, you shouldn't have that issue. If you are worried about faces with different textures on one brush, manually change the alignment for the face in the surface window (should really only happen with wonky sized textures).

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
New York Beta 12: Almost Final
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »
New York beta 12: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izc3BUWnh1c2hyVWc/edit?usp=sharing
-fixed problem where there is no ramp jump on one side
-aligned a few textures
-changed front fence system by removing ladders and adding breaks in the chain link. This hopefully will reduce camping and make it easier to get in and out of the base.
-top story windows are back! This time I made sure they don't increase r_speeds while still looking attractive.
-forced windows into the interior of the buildings
-added light in staircase
-made a few other minor adjustments

Try it out if you haven't done so already and make sure to give me feedback. I'm getting this map ready for its final release.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:58:16 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: New York Beta 12: Almost Final
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »
A few technical things:

- Why do you have a 256x256 transparent texture?  You can just use the nodraw flag...
- window_o, window_0, nograffitisign, credits01, metal2_4, and the sky do not have low-res versions (try playing your map with highres textures disabled).
- metal2_4 should use png instead of tga to save space.

For the sky, I'd just move the textures out of the hr4 directory.  They're halfway between low-res and high-res anyway.

I've uploaded it to the beta sever.

My biggest complaint is the oil-slick jump to the high path.  It's so aggravating/inconsistent now.  The opening is much smaller, so there's a much higher chance of barely clipping the edge and getting launched up the face of the building.  When I make it through, half the time I just come to a dead stop because of the angle I hit the ramp.  It's just super annoying.  It worked well in ~b8.  Why did you change it?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »
A few technical things:

- Why do you have a 256x256 transparent texture?  You can just use the nodraw flag...
- window_o, window_0, nograffitisign, credits01, metal2_4, and the sky do not have low-res versions (try playing your map with highres textures disabled).
- metal2_4 should use png instead of tga to save space.

For the sky, I'd just move the textures out of the hr4 directory.  They're halfway between low-res and high-res anyway.

I've uploaded it to the beta sever.

My biggest complaint is the oil-slick jump to the high path.  It's so aggravating/inconsistent now.  The opening is much smaller, so there's a much higher chance of barely clipping the edge and getting launched up the face of the building.  When I make it through, half the time I just come to a dead stop because of the angle I hit the ramp.  It's just super annoying.  It worked well in ~b8.  Why did you change it?
I have not yet found the time to make non-hr4 textures for those and convert that to png. As for the oil to high, I made it more difficult because it's a fast path and I don't want it to be very easy. I guess what I should do is keep the door size and adjust the ramp to the way it was before, then make the path inside that building longer.

Why should I move the sky into the non-hr4 directory? Will that improve image quality? Will it improve game performance?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »
I have not yet found the time to make non-hr4 textures for those and convert that to png. As for the oil to high, I made it more difficult because it's a fast path and I don't want it to be very easy. I guess what I should do is keep the door size and adjust the ramp to the way it was before, then make the path inside that building longer.
That sounds like a better approach.  Making an unbalanced path more difficult isn't going to make it slower.  It's just going to make it so fewer people can use it (and thus MORE unbalanced).

Why should I move the sky into the non-hr4 directory? Will that improve image quality? Will it improve game performance?
It won't change anything... except it'll make the sky work for people who have highres textures disabled.  The other option is to make a scaled-down version, but from the license, it sounds like you can't distribute a modified version.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2014, 08:39:24 AM »
In order to prevent potential camping-at-own-base, I'm thinking I should do what they did in Eternal (Dawn Rising) and start each player with 60 ammo, then scatter 100 ammo packs throughout the map but not in the base. Tell me if you don't like this idea or you have a better one.

Also, if you still haven't signed the nograffitisign and you want to sign it sometime, hurry up because I'm planning on doing a final release pretty soon, maybe after 1 or 2 more betas.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »
In order to prevent potential camping-at-own-base, I'm thinking I should do what they did in Eternal (Dawn Rising) and start each player with 60 ammo, then scatter 100 ammo packs throughout the map but not in the base. Tell me if you don't like this idea or you have a better one.
Worth a shot, I guess.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »
So I just tired this for the first time on one of my speed servers.  It played very well and I will probably add it to the rotation on one of them.  Very nice and fun map.

Also, if you still haven't signed the nograffitisign and you want to sign it sometime, hurry up because I'm planning on doing a final release pretty soon, maybe after 1 or 2 more betas.

I signed it =). 

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
So I just tired this for the first time on one of my speed servers.  It played very well and I will probably add it to the rotation on one of them.  Very nice and fun map.

I signed it =). 

Good to hear! Was camping much of an issue?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2014, 08:25:18 PM »
Good to hear! Was camping much of an issue?

I didn't seem like much of a problem.  I don't really think camping is a problem in general though, playing defensively is a perfectly legitimate tactic.   But that being said.. The area around the flag is pretty open and hard for defenders to camp the flag which is good.

That might be a good idea, as long as there is plenty of ammo around the middle of the map.

It seems pretty complete, I am looking forward to the final release.  

Edit:  Just remembered that I saw a light floating in the sky near one of the bases.  Looked like a light from a lightpost, just without the post.

Also this banner isn't aligned properly:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:29:24 PM by SuperMAn »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
New York Beta 13: Final?
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
New York Beta 13 is here! I personally believe it's ready for its final release, so just say the word and this goes final. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izUjZLWVNleVNQeG8/edit?usp=sharing

What's New:
-fixed floating light issue that Superman pointed out
-added ladders from mid building to brick building jump to catch players who couldn't jump that high
-aligned graffiti signs
-aligned credits wall
-start players with low ammo and place much ammo in mid areas
-fixed up the texture situation (all tgas converted into pngs, env into non-hr4 folder, missing textures added, updated graffiti sign w/Superman's sig, changed the credits sign again)
-made brick building wood ramp to high platform jump very slightly easier (adjusted the slope up fractionally)
-(edit)Made ramp opening from ice easier (back to b8 style) and made its subsequent path longer

I don't have the problem from the 2nd screenshot, Superman. Make sure you cross-check against the BASEBALLDUDE texture pack included in the .zip file that your credits signs are both correct. It's especially important for you because you're running popular servers. As the ancient saying goes, "servers with bad textures are bulls hit!"
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:49:19 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: New York Beta 13: Final?
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
New York Beta 13 is here! I personally believe it's ready for its final release, so just say the word and this goes final. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izUjZLWVNleVNQeG8/edit?usp=sharing

What's New:
-fixed floating light issue that Superman pointed out
-added ladders from mid building to brick building jump to catch players who couldn't jump that high
-aligned graffiti signs
-aligned credits wall
-start players with low ammo and place much ammo in mid areas
-fixed up the texture situation (all tgas converted into pngs, env into non-hr4 folder, missing textures added, updated graffiti sign w/Superman's sig, changed the credits sign again)
-made brick building wood ramp to high platform jump very slightly easier (adjusted the slope up fractionally)

I don't have the problem from the 2nd screenshot, Superman. Make sure you cross-check against the BASEBALLDUDE texture pack included in the .zip file that your credits signs are both correct. It's especially important for you because you're running popular servers. As the ancient saying goes, "servers with bad textures are bulls hit!"

The updated version of that credit banner fixed the problem.  

Here is the old one I had if you are interested.  It isn't the same size. http://imgur.com/0McY7Ou
Doesn't matter now though since it works.

One annoying thing....  Textures that have been updated won't be downloaded if there is a texture with the same name in the textures folder.  People have to manually delete the current textures to get the updated ones.

Map looks good though, I will remove b12 from the rotation on Speed #2 and add 13.

There are a few spots where people can still get stuck, and it would be nice if you removed the window in the top middle.  You would be able to make it up there from the oil/ice jump on the roof.  I will add some pics of what I'm talking about later.

Edit:  After playing the map a few more times I've noticed that spawn-camping is a bit of a problem.  It isn't horrible, but it still happens a bit more than it should.  Adding more spawn points in different locations around the base would help.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:43:02 AM by SuperMAn »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2014, 10:14:55 PM »
Map looks good though, I will remove b12 from the rotation on Speed #2 and add 13.
Please do so.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2014, 11:22:39 PM »
So here is what I was talking about above.

You can get stuck in these two places on each side:

And it might be nice if this was open, instead of having a window so you can jump up here from the ice:

This might make it possible to fly across the whole map too quickly though so it might need some testing.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2014, 07:43:20 AM »
And it might be nice if this was open, instead of having a window so you can jump up here from the ice:

This might make it possible to fly across the whole map too quickly though so it might need some testing.
I don't know whether you're aware, but I actually do have an oil-to-high opening on the mid buildings in a different spot.

As for spawncamping, I don't want that to be an issue on my map, so I'll do something to fix that and release another beta.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »
I don't know whether you're aware, but I actually do have an oil-to-high opening on the mid buildings in a different spot.

As for spawncamping, I don't want that to be an issue on my map, so I'll do something to fix that and release another beta.

I guess that other entrance is good enough.  It is kinda bugged though... Do you have a brush in the sky blocking it?  See attached demo.  It happens every time, unless you go a bit slower.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »
I guess that other entrance is good enough.  It is kinda bugged though... Do you have a brush in the sky blocking it?  See attached demo.  It happens every time, unless you go a bit slower.
Yes, I have a clip brush there to facilitate landing into the lower entryway. I can adjust that so it doesn't happen like that demo.
Edit:  After playing the map a few more times I've noticed that spawn-camping is a bit of a problem.  It isn't horrible, but it still happens a bit more than it should.  Adding more spawn points in different locations around the base would help.
I've got 4 spawns on the roof, 2 spawns in the 2nd floor, and 4 spawns on the ground. I don't know if I should add even more outside the roof, but maybe adjusting the roof layout would help.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
New York Beta 14: Final?
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
Beta 14

-fixed all known issues
-ready for final release

Can the community come to a consensus that New York is ready for its final release?

Full download with BASEBALLDUDE textures and sk89q models + most recent skybox from beta 9 onwards: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izeGxGN0NQd0tSWUk/edit?usp=sharing

Small download with only the map and updated mapinfo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izeE1MaDVzZ3FJRU0/edit?usp=sharing

If you find any flaw in New York that you'd like to see fixed, please let me know.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:25:05 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: New York Beta 14: Final?
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »
Can I change beta/new_york_b14 to new_york and release it as final?
hTml, if you are still planning to sign the sign, please give me the file when you have a chance.

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: New York Beta 14: Final?
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
Slight improvement over previous betas. Slowly but surely.