Author Topic: New York  (Read 45759 times)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: INPROGRESS: New York- Alpha 2
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
normal is 24 units radius for a barrel#
i think the map has much potential.
I like the oil barrel thing and the whole architecture and design but still there is a lot work waiting for you.
A problem about gameplay might be the fact that your flags are easily defendable. Also there are some places where you still have to add clip brushes and some entities are a bit bugged as well. IMO there should only be one secret room and i guess you can hide it better :DD
Which entities are bugged and how are they bugged? I need to know so I can fix it.

Dynamo

• PGP
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 09:03:46 AM »
Dude, too dark i think, but anyway good job. I'll wait for Beta 3

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »
Dude, too dark i think, but anyway good job. I'll wait for Beta 3
It's gonna be beta 1 cause the 1st two were alpha but anyway get pumped cause it's coming out soon. (maybe today)

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 06:41:40 AM »
Some feedback:
I don't live overall design: There are too many elevators that just make gameplay worse (generally i think most things like opening doors and/or other things like that make camping/lining much easier and you have bunch of them). Building are too high, so i found myself running stairs, ladders and using elevators most of time. Map has only one way to flag room (back elevator doesn't count, as you can just stand in room at bottom of it and you have view everywhere), i tried to jump over fence you made in flag room, but nor complicated double jumps work, nor trying to bounce of ramps help. Even ladder jump doesn't work, and those are hard to make already...
Most of jumps you planned are plain simple and just require jumping of ramp or sliding. I found this too simple and not entertaining for me. I felt like i'm in box i can't escape because you designed it to not be possible by any means although walls aren't too high, just making me believe i'm able to jump over this...
So what i suggest: make building less high, remove most elevators and doors, especially those that are on most used paths, make more complicated ways that would involve i.e. double jump, circle jump or things like that... And add another way to escape from flag room.
Good to see that someone actually tries to do new maps even when he is quite newbish :) . My only complain is that you doesn't feel how game should play now.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: New Beta Map: New York (Beta 1)
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »
Everyone get pumped because Beta 1 is coming out soon!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:17:33 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 06:16:58 PM »
New York Beta 1 is now here! Because it is beta, please make sure to upload to the beta server plz.

I have fixed/changed:
-Textures now aligned! I will now accept feedback on misaligned textures.
-Made the windows lower so you can jump through them
-Added more stuff on the skyscraper so it doesn't look as boring
-Changed the angle of the jail roof for optimal jumping
-Added a clip brush where you could get stuck
-Colored lighting from neon lights

Tell me what you think!

I have updated the screenshots from the first post, so take a look at those if you want.

This map requires the BASEBALLDUDE texture pack and certain sk89q models, which are included in the download link. It also requires the CTP1 textures and ub_textures, which must be downloaded separately.

New_York_B1: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izS1BwU21sVnFkUnc/edit?usp=sharing
CTP1 Textures: http://ftp//otb-server.de/pub/CTP%20-%20Community%20Texture%20and%20Model%20Pack/CTP1-SDK-Prerelease.zip
ub_textures: http://dplogin.com/files/textures/ub_textures/

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
Sorry for the impatience but I need feedback so I know what to do for beta 2. I have already modified some jumps, opened up the roof area, and gotten rid of the 7-car pileup. Is there anything else you would like me to do? Remember, I now accept feedback on misalignments.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: New Beta Map: New York (Beta 2)
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »
New York Beta 2 is out! I have changed gameplay even more. Please give me feedback and put it on the beta servers!

Beta 2: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izNXJ1RHJGbzkwZnM/edit?usp=sharing

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:04 PM »
This map played better than I expected, to be honest, but it's way too dark.  It's almost impossible to see people on the road.

Suggestions:

- Add lights in the stairwells.
- Make the outdoor area brighter.
- Make one side of the fence nodraw, so you don't see double fence textures around the base.
- Do something with the stairway to the roof -- it looks bland, not realistic, and faces away from the way you need to go.  Sometimes when you turn around, you end up running into the boxes that are right next to it.
- Maybe come up with some cooler/more realistic lighting around the flag instead of having the platform glow?
- Do something with the edges of the map so you don't see through the sky.
- Remove unused textures/skies from your zip file.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 07:23:41 PM »
lol I was just playing around with the lighting, and I realized that in all the previous versions I had put the sun below the map. Oops.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
Tip: If you aim your crosshair at where you want the light to come from (ex: the moon in a night sky or the sun in a day sky) and type "angles" at the console, it will tell you the _sun_angle to use for your map.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips Jits. It's gonna be a while until beta 3 comes out because I'm going to try and tackle all of the map's big issues before releasing another beta.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 07:43:09 PM »
Was just playing this on the beta server, I kind of like it but the insides of each building is uh, gross. There just seems to be too many different textures, or not enough detail for me :P Anyway, I was yellow and spawned at red base twice, so check your spawns :P (this was _b2).

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2013, 09:31:35 PM »
Yeah I told him about the spawn issues too, and he said he's currently trying to fix them.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: New Beta Map: New York (Beta 3)
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
New York Beta 3 is here! I have made some pretty large renovations to this map to make it look better and to help gameplay flow more smoothly. (hopefully):

-changed the pathways that lead from the top floor to the roof
-aligned all misaligned textures
-it is possible to shoot out of jails and get live players even if you're eliminated
-real ladders instead of those fake ones in the previous versions
-more ladders to make it easier to get higher up on some of the skyscrapers
-car collision returns and is now more challenging than ever! It's possible though cause I did it myself on the right side.
-fixed the spawn glitch
-changed lighting throughout map
-and a few more minor tweaks

To everyone who plays this map: Make sure that you have EVERTHING in the zip file, including the models and the new textures for hr4/neonblue.jpg and hr4/metal_02.jpg.

Please post feedback!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izcWstcmotWWx2aHM/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:37:08 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 07:40:22 AM »
I was playing this map with a few homeys, and the "jail shots" added a unique twist to the game. I got my bro SlickNinja while he had the flag from my elimination prison.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
Haven't had a chance to play this yet, but there is one thing that bugs me: the pace difference between going rooftops vs. ground.  You can get from base to base really quickly with jumps across the roof, but if you go on the ground, taking the elevators or stairs is really slow.

Looks like a little bit of Neon slipped into this one.  :)  Doesn't look bad, but it does look a little out of place.  Overall, you might want to try to make architecture and visuals that better fit the New York (or just general urban) theme.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: New Beta Map: New York (currently b3- b4 in progress)
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 06:54:54 PM »
The next beta release will have some gameplay tweaks, but will have major scenic renovations. Here are a few screenshots of what's to come:

-better scenery
-reflective illusion on slippery smooth red tile floor
-new path: top floor of mid building
-new path: get from one side to the other without going through the mid
-better scenery
-better scenery
-red metal used in doorways of red base. Marble wall. Better-looking elevator.
-advertisement for my other map. Bright and shiny for that Times Square feel. No graffiti sign, with graffiti of course. Tell me if you're interested in having your name on that sign and I will send you a copy of the file and you can send it back with your signature.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:40:08 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: New Beta Map: New York (currently b3- Beta 4 in progress)
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »
I just updated the screenshots.

Tell me if you're interested in having your name on the "no graffiti" sign in the picture directly above. Send me a copy of the file with your signature and I will update the BASEBALLDUDE texture pack. My idea is that by the final release, the "no graffiti" sign will be covered with graffiti!

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Beta Map: New York (currently b3- Beta 4 in progress)
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 02:16:24 AM »
That's actually a really cool idea, I hope you don't mind if I take in in future maps as a thank you to people who helped me out, I'll get feedback to you shortly but I've had a lot on recently.