Author Topic: Overhang B14  (Read 23596 times)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Newmap: Overhang BETA 10
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
I Honestly don't think that last screenshot warrants fixing at all.

I agree any SS you need to be in noclip to see a problem and it outside the map who cares? When people play they don't go hey I wonder if the brush might extend outside the map! IMO you guys take it a bit to far with criticism but you already know how I feel about it.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 12:56:30 PM »
BETA 10 release: http://sdrv.ms/18V1H39
Mapshot pic: http://sdrv.ms/15RG6O4
Readme: http://sdrv.ms/15RGuMo
Map info file: http://sdrv.ms/15RGAnr

What has changed

•   ●Adjusted the water to be larger and more transparent - looks nicer.
  •   ●Fixed the barrel texture misalignment (near mid cave entrance
  •   ●Made the crack in the wet wall thicker
  •   ●Made the rock pillars holding up dry boxes, wooden man-made pillars
  •   ●Adjusted wall on dry hill to not block velocity you as you go over.
  •   ●Spawn ditches made easier to get out of
  •   ●Added more hint brushes to optimize r_speeds
  •   ●Made the hole jump to 1st look more man made
  •   ●Adjusted the sky and raised sun_diffuse
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:38:43 PM by JordanMRichards »

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
Some are visible for normal players.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »
I saw the second and third sshots that terrorist just posted yesterday when I played this map.
Your map is awesome! I like all the jumps!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »
Haven't looked much at beta 10, but regarding your PM about making the transition from rock to dirt look better, I decided to put together a little map to demonstrate what I was talking about.

Something like this:

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2013, 09:01:59 PM »
Haven't looked much at beta 10, but regarding your PM about making the transition from rock to dirt look better, I decided to put together a little map to demonstrate what I was talking about.

Something like this:

darn thats sexy.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Newmap: Overhang BETA 11
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2013, 02:38:10 PM »
BETA 11 release: http://sdrv.ms/15tjvoz
Mapshot pic: http://sdrv.ms/15tjzEJ4
Readme: http://sdrv.ms/15tjCk0
Map info file: http://sdrv.ms/15tjFwc

What has changed

•   ●Fixed texture misalignments
  •   ●Fixed brush misalignments
  •   ●Modified mid cave heavily to add transition - credit to jitspoe for the idea

I defiantly think this is ready for final release now :) Thank you everyone for your support and help in making this map a success.

Waiting approval on final release

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »

Walls are off by a few units.

Add clip brush.

I only took a quick glance I think you could do 20X better on the cave as well looks like you rushed it almost.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »

Walls are off by a few units.

Add clip brush.

I only took a quick glance I think you could do 20X better on the cave as well looks like you rushed it almost.

Lol....
You said the cave looked fine before, now you say it's rushed...

The 2nd screenshot is meant to be like that, I have never bumped into it after rushing through the cave 20 times, there's no need for a clip brush there. & the 1st screenshot doesn't show up like that in bsp, it's less than 1 unit - unfixable, it's the angle.

Aside from this clipz, the cave is on about 30deg angle, so not all brushes line up properly. I spent 2 hours doing this cave, if it were straight (not on an angle), I could of designed it 10x better in half the time.

ALSO. The map has far too many brushes as it is, r_speeds hit 3k in some places, adding more brushes will bring some computers to their knees. (even after adding hint brushes, there are just many polygons in one area... and the angle doesn't help at all)

Don't forget clipz, this isn't quark, BSP has no good working functions that I can rely on, can't easily rotate things.

Another thing, I have made this rock-cave-transition twice, so in total 3 hours working on it. The 1st time, It looked MUCH better, but the compiler wouldn't take it and stopped responding every time I tried to compile. The only thing that had changed was the cave - when I took them brushes away, it compiled.

Not to sound rude or anything, I will not release another beta unless something worth fixing arises.

In my next map, I'll go for a less complex layout, it will still have much detail, but less angular.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
Haven't had a look at beta 11 but clip brushes are for when you are in mid gunfight, not for when you are doing a speed. No one wants to be stuck in a corner when they jump around to dodge balls. So what's the harm in putting a clip brush there? But i guess it might not be worth it for a whole new beta.
All in all I really like this map, it's new and fresh and imo gameplay is good. I enjoy thinking up strats for you and omni to execute on overhang ;)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »
I meant you rushed to make it look better infanct it doesn't even look too much better  IMO look closer at what jits did. You should also use lanterns with flames and it would look nicer. Don't laugh when I criticize your maps your still a newbie when it comes to mapping. I know I'm not the best mapper either take it as constructive critism.

Mission: clip brushes are used so you don't get stuck it doesn't matter if its in mid or on flag.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
Mission: clip brushes are used so you don't get stuck it doesn't matter if its in mid or on flag.
You didn't understand me, I didn't mean the position of the map, I meant in the middle of a gunfight.
nobody wants to be in the middle of an intense battle, then get caught on something and killed because the mapper was too lazy to put clip brushes in.
- from General Bsp Stuff III, implying clip brushes are needed most to make gunfights fair and not to make speeds easy
I have never bumped into it after rushing through the cave 20 times

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2013, 04:46:40 AM »
Clipz is right, it's annoying if you get stuck near the flag, too. The middle of an intensive battle can be everywhere, not only in the mid part of the map. It's just an example.

I'll have a look at this beta later. I don't know if I have enough time this week :(

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 07:47:16 AM »
I will say it again, I didn't mention any part of the map I merely meant in the middle of a gunfight.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
I meant you rushed to make it look better infanct it doesn't even look too much better  IMO look closer at what jits did. You should also use lanterns with flames and it would look nicer. Don't laugh when I criticize your maps your still a newbie when it comes to mapping. I know I'm not the best mapper either take it as constructive criticism.
That's right Clipz, you're not the best mapper. Maybe 2nd or 3rd best, but not the best. And no I don't think JMR is a newbie mapper anymore; Overhang is a quality map that couldn't have possibly been constructed by a newb.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2013, 09:21:12 AM »
Yes he still is a newbie mapper, he has mapped maybe 2-3 months... vs Myself Cusoman and Dirtytaco who have mapped for 8+ years? Im not basing it off quality im basing it off time he has mapped.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »
JMR:  Angles shouldn't matter too much.  Just make use of clipping planes and you can make brush faces at whatever angles you want.  Did you look at the .map file I posted?  I tried to put my example at an angle kind of like what you had.  It's probably not as extreme, but you can use it for reference.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
JMR:  Angles shouldn't matter too much.  Just make use of clipping planes and you can make brush faces at whatever angles you want.  Did you look at the .map file I posted?  I tried to put my example at an angle kind of like what you had.  It's probably not as extreme, but you can use it for reference.

Yeah, I took a look. I used the subtract tool to make my cave, so some brushes are off the grid and at a horrible angle. I used clipping panes to make what I did, but I can't make it look THAT good. Mission and omni think I should just leave the cave as it was on b10.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
the subtract tool
Oof.  Don't ever use that. :)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »
Oof.  Don't ever use that. :)

Yeah, I messaged you on irc :)
My next map will be much cleaner/simplar but with still much detail/terrain.