Author Topic: Overhang B14  (Read 23673 times)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: Newmap: Overhang BETA 11
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »
Found a few things to work on before you release your next beta.

Sshot 1: This corner feels awkward and I've fallen off it multiple times.

Sshot 2: I don't know what the use is for this platform other than camping. Maybe put a gun or something there.

Sshot 0: This is where anyone inexperienced with your map could get stuck. The flag is to the right, on the other side of that cliff, but there's no obvious indication that that's where you should go. Maybe have an arrow sign there to help new people.

Sshot3: This makes for something like a dead end, with only awkward ways to get out unless you backtrack. Maybe make a grass-ramp to get up onto the higher ground.

Sshot4: The interior of this cave looks fine, but it's true the exterior needs some work.

Sshot5: This probably isn't your fault, but you can tell there's a lighting glitch on this rock pillar.

Sshot6: This barrel is vertically misaligned by about one unit, maybe two. It's a quite simple fix.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »
1. This map is made for decent players/experienced players for the competitive matches.

2. That is an extra spot you can capture from.

3. The point in that is exactly that, it's a ditch, you can jump up to higher ground from raised grass, but at the same time, watching the lines above your head. It's specifically made to catch people out, who are jumping all over the place.

4. The cave will look the same as it was in b10.

5. I have tried fixing that lighting glitch many times, it just won't work.

6.Thanks for pointing out that barrel, I'll fix that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:17:43 AM by JordanMRichards »

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »
I agree any SS you need to be in noclip to see a problem and it outside the map who cares? When people play they don't go hey I wonder if the brush might extend outside the map! IMO you guys take it a bit to far with criticism but you already know how I feel about it.

The point of map making is to make your map perfect with 0 problems. Thats the only way it should be on the map list imo. And why map if you dont want your map on the maplist?

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »
Who cares if its outside the map is all im saying. It wont affect game play at all, It has 0 influence on how the map plays. No map is perfect it never will be, so in that case there will not ever be a maplist.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2013, 11:12:28 AM »
The point of map making is to make your map perfect with 0 problems. Thats the only way it should be on the map list imo. And why map if you dont want your map on the maplist?
Disagreed. The point of map making is not to achieve a perfect map, especially if it's bland and boring. The point of mapmaking is to create an interesting, visually appealing map with good gameplay. It's OK to have a few small imperfections as long as the good outweighs the bad by far. Many popular maps have errors, e.g. many barrels on shazam are misaligned, many textures in ub_rooftop are misaligned, too many autocockers in London, high r_speeds in freedom, etc.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »
Disagreed. The point of map making is not to achieve a perfect map, especially if it's bland and boring. The point of mapmaking is to create an interesting, visually appealing map with good gameplay. It's OK to have a few small imperfections as long as the good outweighs the bad by far. Many popular maps have errors, e.g. many barrels on shazam are misaligned, many textures in ub_rooftop are misaligned, too many autocockers in London, high r_speeds in freedom, etc.

And none of those maps should be on the maplist. except maybe freedom because high r_speeds isn't something thats an easy fix. A map can easily be made with 100% no errors. The map would just have to be in beta for a long time, WHICH IT SHOULD BE. The only reason to put a map into beta before releasing it is to make sure it is perfect before you release it.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2013, 01:04:12 PM »
And none of those maps should be on the maplist. except maybe freedom because high r_speeds isn't something thats an easy fix. A map can easily be made with 100% no errors. The map would just have to be in beta for a long time, WHICH IT SHOULD BE. The only reason to put a map into beta before releasing it is to make sure it is perfect before you release it.

I have fixed all the bugs posted by users already, the only bug left to fix is the barrel and the lightbug (mind giving support on how that occurred, instead of telling me it shouldn't be there?)

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
I have fixed all the bugs posted by users already, the only bug left to fix is the barrel and the lightbug (mind giving support on how that occurred, instead of telling me it shouldn't be there?)

With light bugs i usually just move the brush around until it stops.
Lighting isn't my forte, sorry.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »
With light bugs i usually just move the brush around until it stops.
Lighting isn't my forte, sorry.

Tried that, didn't fix. :( It would be perfect otherwise... (on b12)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2013, 01:48:23 PM »
Maybe adjust the sun angle by one degree?

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »
Maybe adjust the sun angle by one degree?

No luck with that one either :(

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »
set the value of the brush to 1. see if that works. I haven't messed with bsp in a cold minute, all this forum crawling makes me want to map again.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »
That is an extra spot you can capture from.
I had no idea. You should consider marking that particular area with r_ or b_metal1.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2013, 09:41:39 PM »
Attached another demo with feedback.

And, guys, let's try to keep this on topic.  This thread is about the overhang map, not who makes better maps.  I've deleted a bunch of off-topic posts.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2013, 07:24:30 AM »
Attached another demo with feedback.

And, guys, let's try to keep this on topic.  This thread is about the overhang map, not who makes better maps.  I've deleted a bunch of off-topic posts.

Thank you for the feedback, but the only thing which I can really take from it is your suggestions about where to place the hint brushes. The cave will be like it was on b10 as it was cleaner(looks worse, I know), butt will help with r_speeds. The pillars have to be there for a reason, they enable a speedjump to 2nd flag from dry main, I have received several compliments for them new pillars too.

The whole "bang your head thing" is based on jumping skill. When you learn the map, you figure the correct way to do the speedjumps. It's all part of the map. Also, one of the speeds actually uses the ability to bang your head to boost you up to 2nd flag off the grass.

Thanks anyway for the hint brush suggestions:D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
I don't think that you need to go all the way back to the B10 tunnels.  There's a lot you can do to reduce the polygons but still have a nice rock to dirt transition.  What's the r_speed difference between the B10 and B11 tunnels?  It may not even be worth messing with.

You can argue that any part of a map where you get hung up on things is a jumping skill/map learning aspect, but it doesn't make things fun.  The area where this map shines so much above your other maps is the fact that you can jump around freely for the most part and things flow naturally, without random steps, ledges and outcroppings trying to stop you every 10 feet.  You should try to perfect the flow from as many angles as possible.

TERR0R

• PGP
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2013, 03:15:12 PM »
Nice map

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
JMR you should finish this map!

LaZeRs

• Autococker