Author Topic: Early Alpha Map: Need Some Opinions  (Read 6668 times)

omni

• 68 Carbine
Early Alpha Map: Need Some Opinions
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
I have been working on a map recently I think I'm at a point where It is playable but considering my maps in the past have had rarely any game-time (and for good reason I understand).

I'm looking for some opinions before; if at all, I continue.

Not going to ramble on. Its in a playable state technically at the moment. If anyone was to have a match on this (yeah I know unlikely) then your demos would be very appreciated.

Please don't judge just on pictures etc. it plays better than it looks in my opinion.

Thanks

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: Early Alpha Map: Need Some Opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:55:06 PM »
What does ghg stand for?

Maybe we can play sometime on the beta server.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:04:58 PM »
from screen shots it looks really flat. Do you know how to make terrain via triangles? If not i believe cusoman made i guide on youtube on how to make them.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »
from screen shots it looks really flat. Do you know how to make terrain via triangles? If not i believe cusoman made i guide on youtube on how to make them.

Yes I watched that repeatedly until I could do it. I could add some but whats the point if no-one will play it, right now this map is not at all about looks and all about game play but thank you for your feedback. I understand at this time the map is plain and well yeah boring.

What does ghg stand for?

Maybe we can play sometime on the beta server.
Awesome and vice versa I havent played NY yet.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 10:59:51 PM »
I uploaded it to the beta server.

I can't say too much about the gameplay, as I'd really need to play it with some other people first.  Visually, the map looks way too structured/man made to use rock textures, I think.  You would either have to do a lot of work to make the rocks look more organic OR you could go the other route and switch things to brick, cement, and/or stone wall textures and make it look more constructed.

The bunkers look very unfeasible as well.  Giant, solid, blocks of wood the size of wood the size of a bus don't look natural.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:57:20 AM »
This isn't a beta map but thanks for the upload.

That's a very valid point about the look, ill have a go at improving the asthetics this week.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »
Well, it's in a better state than a lot of "beta" maps are.  I didn't actually put it in rotation, but it's on there if you want to log in and load it manually (sent a PM with login details).  Best way to figure out how to improve a map is to play it.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 07:34:22 PM »
It's in a pretty good state considering it's still alpha. The gameplay is great, but you need to work on the aesthetics. I'm looking forward to beta 1!

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
It's nice because it's preety simple like the screenshot.
But some rocks and surfaces are too smooth and doesn't look real
I didn't make maps before, so I think this is nice as long as I don't get blocked.

P.S. Is Camping possible in this map? Are there any bunkers?

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 02:16:24 AM »
The map revolves around camping and lines. The bunkers are essential to winning from what I have played at least 2v2 :/

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »
<3 this map
gj :)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 08:09:59 PM »
Vary the spawn points more, it would help to minimize potential spawn killing.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Nice one omni! <3
I love the ice jump at spawn!

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 01:36:03 AM »
Vary the spawn points more, it would help to minimize potential spawn killing.
Yes that needs fixing most things do they aren't simply because I released this map as an alpha and a just playable one at that. Thank you for your feedback

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 09:37:07 AM »
When will you start working on this again? I like it and the people with whom I played this map like it too. It's a really good small map and has the potential to be a popular match map.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »
Never, this was a shameful display, I have (although not released) and can create much better work than this, I have absolutely no idea why i ever released this. Admins please delete this entire thread, if anyone wants to continue work on this pm me and ill give you the map file, or de-compile it yourself. Thanks for your support however

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »
Never, this was a shameful display, I have (although not released) and can create much better work than this, I have absolutely no idea why i ever released this. Admins please delete this entire thread, if anyone wants to continue work on this pm me and ill give you the map file, or de-compile it yourself. Thanks for your support however

Just dump it in the map graveyard. Focus on your better map(s) for now.