Author Topic: [Feature] Smoke grenades update  (Read 2641 times)

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
[Feature] Smoke grenades update
« on: August 06, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »
I have 3 feature requests which can bring this game on higher matchmaking level and can actually show all players individual skills and their imagination/outplays in matches. It would be really great if these features can be implemented into build 41. Features: smoke grenades update, chasing people [spectating cameras] in matchmaking servers, rate of fire - autococker, carbine. This thread is about smoke grenades update.

On the uploaded picutre you can see, dp2 smoke and cs go smoke. In dp2 smokes are really useless. People aren't using them at all. They can't cover anything. If you are in smoke in dp2, yes you can't see sh* t, but if u are infornt of smoke like 10 feets, you can clearly everything behind smoke and inside the smoke. This is not what smokes are made for.

1. DP2 smokes drop FPS for like 50% of dp2 players, if they are playing on decent laptops, smoke can drop their fps from 400 to 160. I had laptop, i know what I'm talking about.

2. DP2 smokes can't cover anything. You can't hide into them, you can't hide behind them, you can't cover any tunnel, or area with dp2 smokes.

3. Nobody use smokes in dp2 because of that.

I used map italy in both games, so you can see the same place, with smokes, what these smokes cover and how much.

If u can try to make them like it is in cs go, it can be a lot better, so i can actually play with smokes too, not only with nades.

Ace

• Autococker
Re: [Feature] Smoke grenades update
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 07:36:05 PM »
Tbh I think the only reason smokes get used is because people want to clear their inventory to pick up a paint nade. Thicken that smoke to sour levels please.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 11:49:44 PM »
I agree. Even as they are I actually love using smoke nades in strategic ways when possible.

As of right now they aren't smoky enough, they don't blind a pathway as they should, as mentioned already before me. They also need to be prolonged in their effects duration a bit. A good smoke grenade should probably last 50% longer atleast.

They are however useful mostly for the strong blinding effect they produce. Sometimes I'll throw a smoke nade at someone flying towards me even if it is only in their vicinity for a split second as the two cross paths, cause the blinding is strong either way for a moment.

You might almost say the blinding effect is too strong. If you throw a smoke nade and stand in it, it just completely blinds you, compared to the 'in the middle of the fog' effect it has in other games like call of duty. I don't know if that effect is possible in dp2, and whether it's possible to create graphics like that simply enough, but it would be cool none the less. If not I'd say the blinding effect should be slightly decreased.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:18:55 AM »
I agree as well. IMO the main things that need changing are: (1) the smoke around the nade needs to be thicker-looking (esp. from a distance), and (2) the blinding effect needs to not ramp up until you get closer to the thickest part of the smoke. As it is now, vision starts getting clouded before you reach the edge of the area that seems to be truly affected.

Also, I understand the current blinding effect is done in a very simplistic way, but if the smoke were thicker, could that full-screen graying be removed and the smoke be the only thing blinding the player? That might achieve the "in the middle of the fog" effect shockk talked about.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »
I agree, also impact nades should be banned from match servers.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 11:21:29 PM »
There's a feature vote for this here: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10157

Previous thread: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=14117

Thicker smoke is likely going to hurt the framerate more, but I don't imagine 160fps being impossible to play at.