Author Topic: Getting paintball2 on steam  (Read 16195 times)

prozajik

• Autococker
Getting paintball2 on steam
« on: October 11, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »
I honestly just wanted to ask about what the problem is with this? Because rly, steam would get us at least twice as many players there is now (even tho they would just try it once, but still some players might stay with the game). And i just dont understand it.
I talked with Clipz about this and he told me that jitspoe would have to give credits to many people and to some of them which he cant even contact. And also to all the mappers in pb (which honestly feels like nonsense, because nobody gives a darn about mappers in counter-strike for example).

Now let me say this, why should you care about people who maybe helped you code sth back then, but they dont care about this game anymore, not even enough to keep in contact with you. I dont want to sound like a mean guy or w/e, well sure give them credits, write their names in the info about the game like "Special thanks to", but i would say thats it and thats not that hard to do and pb is still not on steam so i guess there is some other problem involved i guess financial credits.
Well ok, but lets keep this in mind, they didnt care about the game for pretty long (you snooze you loose), and they made that code of their own will just to help you out, didnt they? (i guess you didnt have some kind of contract ^^) So if they did it just to help you they transfered the trademark of their work onto you? (lol hope i am not totally wrong here) I guess you could say they gave their work to you, so they cant claim anything unless you give it back to them? Actually i am pretty sure thats how the trademark and "Owning right" works here in Czech.

I think tho that i didnt get all the details about the problem. I am kinda interested in it, because in my opinion steam would be really nice, huge and good step for paintball

Toxiic

• Autococker
Re: Getting paintball2 on steam
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 08:14:49 PM »
^ I honestly think that this game on steam is an amazing idea. Also an other way to give credits, like you said was a special thanks to ____ and so on. Your still giving credits. If mapping/mappers are the issue for the credits, an easy way to fix this would be an official map list--- That way you would only need to give credits to those mappers only.

I would like to ask jitspoe a question, did you contact steam and ask what are the requirements, procedures, what you might need to do with the game, if there is a fee, etc..? If you did, could you share it with us?

Because from there we can sort out the pros and cons of putting dpball on steam.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 01:20:22 AM »
If you were to get a big YouTuber(s) to review or even look at this game it would surely show am influx of players that would be free advertising essentially although hard to do, then after the map list is set and the official leader boards etc. Then I would be happy to see It on steam.

Mappers don't need credit because tere are FAR to many, maybe just credit the mappers who have maps in the official map list. The reason I say you need some hype is because you need a certain amount of votes to get on green-light so it would be easier if you had some YouTuber review it but I don't know how you would go about that.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:05:56 AM »
Mappers don't need credit because tere are FAR to many, maybe just credit the mappers who have maps in the official map list.
Well, its not because there is too many mappers to give credit (no offense but that would be kinda dumb excuse :D), its because they gave their creation to the game and for everyone to share it without wanting anything in return -> there is no need to give them credit (based on the law, honestly could somebody support me here if i am not throwing down some bull, because this is how law works in CR and it seems far too logical to not work the same way in USA/Canada), tho i think giving credit to mappers (again talking about simple name written somewhere) to the mappers who have their map on official map list is nice idea.

BTW, guys, from what i understood when i talked to Clipz, i think jitspoe was more worried for a "law" issues then anything else, thats why i focused my post quite on it. But again, i heard it second-handedly so i might be totally wrong, could have understood it wrong.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
I think this is way more complicated than you think. For example, if this game was put on Steam (which has to be reached first, just to remind you, and I don't think that all active players right now would even be able to vote it into Steam in Greenlight) it has to ALL laws of ALL countries where it will be released (which are probably all countries in the world as steam is worldwide AFAIK).
Also, every mapper still has the copyright of his own map unless he wrote down something different when he released the map. So if jitspoe wanted to put the maps in the game on installation, he would need their agreement and probably give them credits.
I don't guarantee that this is right, but when it comes to copyright of creative things there are so many crazy laws...

All in all I think that Clipz did not tell rubbish when he said that there are many problems and I don't know why you guys don't trust him. The fact that he could give you a reason why they can't put the game on Steam shows that they thought about doing it and are maybe even working on it.

If you want the game to be released on Steam, probably the best thing you could do is creating a feature request (if this thread is not already a try to get it on the feature list).

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »
Steam is DRM and Paintball 2 is freeware so it just doesn't fit, EOT.

Bitius

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
Steam isn't DRM there is offline mode.And Paintball 2 on Steam would be awesome :D

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »
I like the fact that people want to advertise this game on other products, such as Steam. Maybe we can spread it to other gaming programs like Steam also. :)

Bitius

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »
I'd love to advertise it too :D

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »
All in all I think that Clipz did not tell rubbish when he said that there are many problems and I don't know why you guys don't trust him.
Where did i say i dont trust him? -.- I am glad he shared it with me so i could post here and i like him, always fun to talk to. Also i do trust in what he said, it just feeled like its weird to actually care about mappers in pb while in CS nobody cares.
You have plenty of servers which have like 500+ maps loaded there and the release is totally same for pb and for cs. They just upload their maps to some site where others can download it and use it freely. What i make of this, is that jitspoe couldnt probably release the PB with maps, but it wouldnt be problem if people just download them from servers, i guess.

Steam isn't DRM there is offline mode.And Paintball 2 on Steam would be awesome :D
DRM = Digital Rights Management, what payl wanted to say was that steam wouldnt get anything from this, because in all games on steam you can actually buy something (micro-transcations/whole game) so they can have a share of it, but not in paintball.
I think it would work for greenlight tho and maybe if we got that kind of support, we might get lucky on some donations and maybe even think about switching core of pb? Ye well thats rly far away anyway now so w/e.

Bitius

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 03:25:14 AM »
It's definately worth a try

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:36 AM »
DRM = Digital Rights Management, what payl wanted to say was that steam wouldnt get anything from this, because in all games on steam you can actually buy something (micro-transcations/whole game) so they can have a share of it, but not in paintball.
That is not what I wanted to say. Steam is DRM because it's only real purpose is to be a protection against crackers. And surely many people will say "oh you are wrong, i use it to xyz" but surely all you like updating steam, it's laggyness and other intercourseness which just make you unable to i.e. move game to other folder. It's all just because steam is no platform, it's DRM. So no, i'm all against it, you can still add it on your DRM if you want, but no integration.

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »
I hate steam and all the online games stores I better buy a disk :/ than downloading things with my 30 kb/s speed >:(

Bitius

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
Haha, but it wouldn't be that big of a download, would it?

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »
Haha, but it wouldn't be that big of a download, would it?

Very valid point.

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 04:31:01 AM »
If dp2 goes to steam (Valve) then the engine this game runs on may have to be changed..
And Mods would have t be allowed to get it successful on steam...

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 07:17:05 AM »
All not-oldschool players please be quiet as Jitspoe mentioned that many people download game, not many people stay, thats why uninstall survey was added and now Jitspoe plans on improving bots as 'single player' was most upvoted. So please just don't talk about steam, it's pointless from both DRM point of view and spreading game too.
Next time newbies talk, please have some background on what you are talking about, otherwise it is "I wish" more than "we should".

Bitius

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 08:08:40 AM »
How do you define oldschool payl? From what year would you have to play?

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »
How do you define oldschool payl? From what year would you have to play?
And there always be someone who doesn't understand point and just keep talking... Is that so hard to just understand steam is pointless? I guess so.
I know Bitius you have problem keeping your mouth shut, but please, actually add something smart if you want to talk.

User banned for this post
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:06:10 AM by jitspoe »