Author Topic: Winter's Keep Beta 1 (winterkeep_b1)  (Read 9784 times)

cusoman

• Autococker
Winter's Keep Beta 1 (winterkeep_b1)
« on: November 15, 2013, 12:34:07 AM »
Winter's Keep Beta 1

Features:
- Snow
- Ice
- 2 flag per base
- Castle

Any feedback would be appreciated!

- Cusoman

Edit: Renamed the title to match the map -jitspoe

Screenshots:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:19:38 PM by jitspoe »

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Re: Call of Wobluda 5: Modern Propaint 3
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 06:09:22 AM »
laughed my ass off when i read the postname but from the Screenshots it looks really nice
good job

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »
Very nice design cusoman!

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
Nice to see you mapping again cusoman! The map looks very original and it looks like the gameplay will be good. I'll try to match with my clan on this map to provide feedback on the gameplay side of things.

Here's what I think so far:

I personally don't think this texture fits here well, I mean it looks okay, but it cuts off and doesn't really look good.

I'm not a fan of these lanterns, they look oversized and bulky in my opinion. They do the job, but I think they'd look much better smaller.

Speaking of lanterns, this one blocks your path slightly if you have a lot of speed from ice.

This corner looks a little strange, very sharp and looks a bit odd.

On a final note, I don't like the way you do these barrels, they look very odd. The rim is not even close to the edge of the brush, making it very weird indeed. Consider sizing that top texture up.

The design is great and it looks nice too, there are just one or two issues here and there, but overall, good job! :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:16:48 AM by JordanMRichards »

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 09:01:43 AM »
I personally like the lanterns and that metal texture is alright might be better if it were solid. I'm just basing this off screenshots. Because cuso comp failed I couldn't see it last night!

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
Checked my barrels, used radius 28 instead of 24. :D I'll fix it in the next beta.  Any other critiques? Anyone get around to matching on this yet?  I'd like to make beta2 more than just a texture update haha

- Cusoman

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:51:38 AM »
The thick lanterns kind of bugged me, so I tried making an alternative one.  It's attached.  It has some small brushes that get garbled, though, so now I'm looking at the compiler tools to see if I can fix that issue (it's been bothering me for a while when trying to do small details).

I'll try to post more feedback later.

One general note: For as small and simple as the map is, it's surprisingly easy to get disoriented.

For example, in ViciouZ shot, the deadend area looks like a path, and when you're coming in from the angle that screenshot was taken, it's not immediately obvious if the flag is on the left or right.

Also, the light wood bunkers in the middle look really out of place to me.  They don't really look like anything, and I'm not sure how useful they'd be in practice... they're just kind of there, and look weird.

Oh, and the double doors look really bland (do an image search for "castle doors", and I'm sure you'll get plenty of inspiration).  Also, they technically wouldn't be able to open with as thick as the wall is (top of the door would collide with the arch).

There are some areas where the transition between rock and brick is unnatural/nonexistent.

Lots of little things that I need to make a demo of or something to point out, but I really need to get to bed now.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 10:26:23 AM »
Checked my barrels, used radius 28 instead of 24. :D I'll fix it in the next beta.  Any other critiques? Anyone get around to matching on this yet?  I'd like to make beta2 more than just a texture update haha

- Cusoman

We pugged on it last night. I think it is your best map. =D
Very smooth, it flows very well except sometimes i spawned backwards and started heading the wrong way.
Also i think it is easy to get lost if you're new to the map i don't know how you could fix that.
Solid brush work and gameplay gj, best map by FAR! <3XOXOXO --- I MISS YOU. COME ON TS3

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »
I think a couple subtle things could make it easier to get your bearings (ex: barrels or something else team colored in front of the entrance toward the flag).

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
Don't mind me just passin on through

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »
sup DT

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 07:34:46 PM »
Don't go... unless you're makin more maps

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:57:07 AM »
I played this map and it was quite Good.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 12:00:06 PM »
I played this map and it was quite Good.

good observation

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 11:10:11 AM »
The thick lanterns kind of bugged me, so I tried making an alternative one.  It's attached.  It has some small brushes that get garbled, though, so now I'm looking at the compiler tools to see if I can fix that issue (it's been bothering me for a while when trying to do small details).
Is there any way to make arghrad ignore the small metal brushes that make up your lantern so that the light entity does not cast strange shadows all over the walls? I tried checking the "translucent" flag but it did not work.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 11:19:28 AM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:49:46 PM by Rockyar_96 »

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
Is there any way to make arghrad ignore the small metal brushes that make up your lantern so that the light entity does not cast strange shadows all over the walls? I tried checking the "translucent" flag but it did not work.

Making a brush, or group of brushes, into a func_wall will have your desired effect.  You have to be careful not to overuse func_walls, however, as jitspoe has mentioned many times in most of my mapping threads :P  If you keep the number of entity tris reasonable in any given area, and don't use the func_walls to cover up world brushes, you should be ok :)

- Cusoman

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »
no sir. detail flag is much more efficient.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »
no sir. detail flag is much more efficient.
Detail doesn't work. It applies to vis but not actual lighting.