Author Topic: Winter's Keep Beta 1 (winterkeep_b1)  (Read 9766 times)

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
Re: Call of Wobluda 5: Modern Propaint 3
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »
sorry, i was really sure it would work :/

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »
Since this thread got revived, that lantern map I provided should compile a lot better with the modified qbsp3 here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26664.0

Also, I would recommend using a light entity instead of having the flames emit light, as you have better control over the brightness/color (I think I used a light entity in the lantern map).  It should compile faster that way as well (provided you disable the light property on the flames).

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »
Since this thread got revived, that lantern map I provided should compile a lot better with the modified qbsp3 here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26664.0

Also, I would recommend using a light entity instead of having the flames emit light, as you have better control over the brightness/color (I think I used a light entity in the lantern map).  It should compile faster that way as well (provided you disable the light property on the flames).

Could explain how to use light entities effectively? Every time I use them, the light just looks so white and unrealistic,

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
Could explain how to use light entities effectively? Every time I use them, the light just looks so white and unrealistic,
"light" "#" the # can be your choice. 300 is the default but you should go lower than that usually. Also, "_color" "r g b" determines color, the rgb values are relative to each other.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 09:10:09 AM »
"light" "#" the # can be your choice. 300 is the default but you should go lower than that usually. Also, "_color" "r g b" determines color, the rgb values are relative to each other.

Cheers, I didn't know "_color" existed. :)

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 12:17:22 PM »
Cheers, I didn't know "_color" existed. :)
It's because jitspoe is too lazy busy to put wiki up. You should personally thank him on PM/mail, maybe it will make him put it up.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 03:26:04 AM »

A few other things worth noting...

1. You can target light ents. I guess the standard would be to use "target" "target1" on the light ent, and "targetname" "target1" on a info_null ent. Lets you play with some angles and tough to reach corners. The info_null ent should be ~128 units away.

2. Can use "_cone" on lights ents to change the radius of the light. Default is 10. I think it mentions this in bsp, but it let's you make spotlights or wider circles etc.

With a combo of these two, and color mentioned above, you should be able to do everything but the weird cases, where style comes in. I don't see it used properly in pb often, but I've seen quite a few q2 maps use the flickering and a couple others well. Works nice for a "broken" or "underground" theme.

3. Can use "style" to change flicker and few other things.
    style 1 - flicker
    style 2 - slow strong pulse
    style 3 - candle
    style 4 - fast strobe
    style 5 - gentle pulse
    style 6 - candle
    style 7 - candle
    style 8 - slow strobe
    style 9 - flourescent flicker
    style 10 - slow pulse, almost fading to black

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
A few other things worth noting...

1. You can target light ents. I guess the standard would be to use "target" "target1" on the light ent, and "targetname" "target1" on a info_null ent. Lets you play with some angles and tough to reach corners. The info_null ent should be ~128 units away.

2. Can use "_cone" on lights ents to change the radius of the light. Default is 10. I think it mentions this in bsp, but it let's you make spotlights or wider circles etc.

With a combo of these two, and color mentioned above, you should be able to do everything but the weird cases, where style comes in. I don't see it used properly in pb often, but I've seen quite a few q2 maps use the flickering and a couple others well. Works nice for a "broken" or "underground" theme.

3. Can use "style" to change flicker and few other things.
    style 1 - flicker
    style 2 - slow strong pulse
    style 3 - candle
    style 4 - fast strobe
    style 5 - gentle pulse
    style 6 - candle
    style 7 - candle
    style 8 - slow strobe
    style 9 - flourescent flicker
    style 10 - slow pulse, almost fading to black

Thanks a lot Ace :)
Gonna make that light that fell in framework_b1 flicker.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
Getting offtopic here, but I would advise against light styles as they can cause severe framerate drops on some video cards (*cough*crappyintegratedintelcards*cough*).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Winter's Keep Beta 1 (winterkeep_b1)
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 01:53:32 AM »
Played this during the Social Saturday event.  Solid map!  There are a couple issues that would be kind of nice to fix:

1) The flow tends to go in a circle between the two flags in each base.  It had been a while since I played, and I ended up going in circles for a bit.  From the second flag, you have to go up the ramp, then turn 180 degrees and go through the doors.  At the very least, maybe a team indicator or arrow of the opposite team's color pointing toward the doors might help.  Might also recolor the barrels right next to the doors.
2) Lighting could stand to be a little brighter.  Some banding is visible on the lightmap.  If I adjust my brightness settings, it looks pretty good and I don't have to strain as much to see.  Would be good for it to look like that with the default settings.

Screenshot showing default/adjusted values below.

Let's get this out of beta!