Author Topic: Cargo  (Read 17830 times)

Ace

• Autococker
Cargo
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
Description:

The map itself is based on a container ship, and revolves around the stacks of containers strewn throughout the center of it. I wanted a more washed out look for the map, so I made a few of my own textures for it. For now, the map is suited for smaller teams, 2v2 or 3v3 at most, or a speed pubscrub.

The map is open, which will give some high r_speeds, but I spent time to decrease the strain as much as I could. Props to uni for the container textures.

Downloads Via Mega:

Beta 1
-Original upload

Beta 2
-Fixes the spelling error in yellow base, and fixed sizing on the bunkers on top of the base to be more usable.

Beta 3
Fixes the following.
-Changing the textures to have a proper naming system
-Changing blue containers to have a proper lid.
-Fixing compiling error on the bow/stern railing.
-Add clipping on little edges etc. where people are getting stuck.
-Change edge clipping to allow players to get on the railing, except for on stern/bow
-Redo the bases to get rid of the ugly shadowing that is going on
-Slow down the top route
-Looking into alternatives to glass that would still allow for decent vision. Probably changing to that metal cable/grid texture.
-Slowed down speed jump, still doable, but not as OP
-Made lower path slightly faster with a few options to get up top easier in the mid
-Create a few new textures
-Widen the map/paths or add a new layer
-Darken Textures

Needed Textures (updated for beta 3)
-Includes textures I made, ub's containers, and the env.

In Progress
-Add sound to the map. (The one terror mentioned)
-Add more detail to the bases, mostly fill some empty space.
-Potentially widen an area or get rid of some the far back and front of the ship.
-fix the railing gap on each base corner
-remove the excessive see through textures
-detail the lower section
-fix ladders
-add a small ledge between base and roof
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:34:42 PM by Ace »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: New Map: Cargo
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
Nice, but you forgot to include the skybox textures :)

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
Nice, but you forgot to include the skybox textures :)

Fixed, thanks for the notice.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:35:24 PM »
Really nice map, man. I'll check it out proper tomorrow.

Edit: Just so you know, when you grab the yellow flag, it instantly caps. Check the entity values of your yellow cap spot, I believe you may have both teams enabled.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:36:54 AM by Rick »

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:02:11 AM »
Wow very cool idea, looks awesome from the screenshot! Awesome, good job.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:55:34 AM »
That Call of duty reference :p. Wonder if you actually used it for inspiration, but it immediately reminded me of that mission ^^.
http://youtu.be/U2tHCVxH7nE?t=4m58s

Anyway, nice map and cool idea. I dont really have any suggestions or ideas here, maybe later i will come up with something.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »
Really nice map, man. I'll check it out proper tomorrow.

Edit: Just so you know, when you grab the yellow flag, it instantly caps. Check the entity values of your yellow cap spot, I believe you may have both teams enabled.
\

Ahhh. Didn't see the problem at first, but it looks like i had "teamnumbr" "2" instead of "teamnumber" "2"

Uploaded fixed version.

That Call of duty reference :p. Wonder if you actually used it for inspiration, but it immediately reminded me of that mission ^^.
http://youtu.be/U2tHCVxH7nE?t=4m58s

Anyway, nice map and cool idea. I dont really have any suggestions or ideas here, maybe later i will come up with something.

I definitely did. The basic layout had to change a bit to make sense with dp2, but I've been wanting to make a boat map for a while now.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »
Is there a good reason why you copied the container textures from ub_leg into a new folder? I don't like it to have the same textures in different folders.
The acetxts1 textures doesn't fit together. The low res textures are all 64x64, so all of the hr4 textures should be 256x256. Your hr4 textures are 256x256, 512x512 and 1014x1024.

The map itself looks really good. Some textures on top of the containers are wrong, they should be without text. And one blue container is missing in the middle (sshot1250). Compiler bug (sshot1249)? It's on all sides.
I was a few weeks on a ship in the last years and i'm missing the sound of the sea in your map. Have a look at pball/sound/world/amb_wind.wav, that one could be nice :P

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 07:25:28 PM »
Is there a good reason why you copied the container textures from ub_leg into a new folder? I don't like it to have the same textures in different folders.
The acetxts1 textures doesn't fit together. The low res textures are all 64x64, so all of the hr4 textures should be 256x256. Your hr4 textures are 256x256, 512x512 and 1014x1024.

The map itself looks really good. Some textures on top of the containers are wrong, they should be without text. And one blue container is missing in the middle (sshot1250). Compiler bug (sshot1249)? It's on all sides.
I was a few weeks on a ship in the last years and i'm missing the sound of the sea in your map. Have a look at pball/sound/world/amb_wind.wav, that one could be nice :P

+When I got the container textures from the map thread, rick linked it in a folder called container, so I just assumed that was the original name, as I didn't have them before now. I'll fix that for the next beta.
+The blue boxes with text on top were used because the blue texture for a blank side was low res only. I might just end up making my own, unless for some reason the blank blue was not in the pack rick gave me.
+After playing with that odd looking area a little, and moving/recarving the brushes, I know that it is not those specific brushes causing it, but something near them. Not sure what is causing it at this point.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
When I got the container textures from the map thread, rick linked it in a folder called container, so I just assumed that was the original name, as I didn't have them before now. I'll fix that for the next beta.

The blue boxes with text on top were used because the blue texture for a blank side was low res only. I might just end up making my own, unless for some reason the blank blue was not in the pack rick gave me.

I am guessing that the white showing in the screenshot is because of the compiler, as nothing is visually wrong in the .map. I'll just move them around a little and see if it fixes itself.

Sorry about the confusion, haha. The actual texture folder is 'ub_rooftop2' :P
Also, for some unknown reason, the blue blank side and the orange UNI side was in the non-hr4 part of the texture folder, I don't know if that was my doing or if that is how Uni had it, but they're definitely there :)

#2k

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »
Gameplay kinda reminds me of New York, having jumps from high point to high point or else weaving through all the tall structures.
My only suggestion is to throw in a few other types of obstacles or structures because this map can get a little boring.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 07:57:35 PM »
Sorry about the confusion, haha. The actual texture folder is 'ub_rooftop2' :P
Also, for some unknown reason, the blue blank side and the orange UNI side was in the non-hr4 part of the texture folder, I don't know if that was my doing or if that is how Uni had it, but they're definitely there :)

#2k

Ahh, alrighty. Thanks for clearing it up. Oh, and Terrorist mentioned ub_leg, you mentioned ub_rooftop2, which one is more proper?

Gameplay kinda reminds me of New York, having jumps from high point to high point or else weaving through all the tall structures.
My only suggestion is to throw in a few other types of obstacles or structures because this map can get a little boring.

Just a skeleton, definitely planning on adding in some nicer things once I get around to making textures for them.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »
Ahh, alrighty. Thanks for clearing it up. Oh, and Terrorist mentioned ub_leg, you mentioned ub_rooftop2, which one is more proper?
The versions I have of ub_rooftop2 are:
beta/ub_rooftop2_b1
beta/ub_rooftop2_a1
and both use the 'ub_rooftop2' texture folder. I looked in my ub_leg folder and all I have in it is a single .tga texture. Maybe shoot Terror a PM and get him to check again.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
I've the most container textures in my ub_leg folder (all wal, low res and hr4). The ub_rooftop2 folder has only a few of them, so i would prefer the ub_leg folder. I've uploaded the complete one here: http://www.otb-server.de/ub_leg_textures.zip

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 05:54:22 PM »
I've the most container textures in my ub_leg folder (all wal, low res and hr4). The ub_rooftop2 folder has only a few of them, so i would prefer the ub_leg folder. I've uploaded the complete one here: http://www.otb-server.de/ub_leg_textures.zip

I'll stick with ub_leg then.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »
I really like the idea and the style of the map, but here is a thing I would add/improve.

Aero

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
whats the gamemode?

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 12:54:12 PM »
Here are the gamemodes

0     All modes (default)
1     Deathmatch
2     Single flag
4     2 or more flag mode (flag in base)
8     Siege
16    KOTH
64    Pong!

Adding two numbers together allows for multiple gamemodes, in this case its a four

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 07:52:05 PM »
I really like the idea and the style of the map, but here is a thing I would add/improve.

I noticed that too after a few games, but it ended up not being too bad as people pop in and out, and the higher strafing route is used pretty often. I was planning on adding something to block the lining from that spot, but I'm unsure how I want to do it.

I was considering adding a midpoint crane to contribute to the theme, which will change the top layout quite a bit. I'll think about adding a low after I finish that part up and fix any other topside issues. I don't want to add paths just for the sake of adding paths.

Compiler bug (sshot1249)? It's on all sides.

I can't figure this out for the life of me, here's a screenshot of the map file corner/angle. Nothing else is touching it, I recarved the edges multiple times, I even moved the sky around to see if that was the issue. The bottom of the ship does it as well, which is one solid piece, so I have no idea how it's even happening. I tried to recompile a few times, with no success. Help would appreciated. I'll pm the .map if someone has a legitimate fix in mind.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:37:22 PM by Ace »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »
A lot of times, stuff like that gets fixed by either moving the brush a few times, or deleting and remaking the same brush.