Poll

Which type of locs do you like the most?

9 (39.1%)
0 (0%)
2 (8.7%)
0 (0%)
3 (13%)
3 (13%)
0 (0%)
1 (4.3%)
1 (4.3%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
2 (8.7%)
Other
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Locs in 'style' progress  (Read 12620 times)

prozajik

• Autococker
Locs in 'style' progress
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:37:02 AM »
So, i dont know if i should format options in poll so i just put in there numbers. Basically what the title says, i will format each option, the way its in game.
I was wondering which style looks the best, because i was thinking about remaking some of the locs to make some unified locs pack.
1)Using space as breaker, capital letters
BASE HIGH

2)No breaker, using capital first letters to distinguish words
BaseHigh

3)Using _ as breaker (white color), capital letters
BASE_HIGH

4)Using - as breaker (white color), capital letters
BASE-HIGH

5)No breaker, using white color to distinguish two words
BASEHIGH

6)Like 1 but only first letter is capital
Base High

7)Like 3 but only first letter is capital
Base_High

8)Like 4 but only first letter is capital
Base-High

9)Like 5 but only first letter is capital
BaseHigh

10)Use 1 words only, sometimes pretty hard,
eg:freedom, distinguish these 2 towers
HIGH

11)Combination of 1 + 5
BASE HIGH

12)Using . as breaker (white color), capital letters
BASE.HIGH

13)Using . as breaker (white color), only first capital letters
Base.High

14)Some other style, if you pick this option, let me know what style it is pls ;)

If you think of any other style which you like more, just let me know here and i will add it (if i can lol, never did poll before). All feedback is appreciated

EDIT:I would be also glad, if you told me the way you prefer locs to be written, for example using many words to describe a way "Base-High-To-Mid", or using preferably one word "High". The problem comes if you need to describe bridge on pforest for example, how do you name it with single word (or two at the max), i guess the best option is "WET_BRIDGE", which makes it clear.

PS:Yes i am actually thinking of remaking most of the locs. I can do it quite fast and doestn really bother me.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:03:04 PM by prozajik »

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Re: Locs style preferation
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »
13 for the win!  this little dot gives the locs its unique style :D

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »
About voting: There are too many options you gave: I think most people don't care that much, possibly I like anything that has some separator (best: space), could be all capital or first letter.

About way it's written: def shortest forms that are understood well (if it's harder to make, then possibly longer but easy to understand), I generally don't like left/right as it confuses me. Possibly you could make it support $loc_there as good as possible, because of "$loc_here => $loc_there" binds.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »
About voting: There are too many options you gave: I think most people don't care that much, possibly I like anything that has some separator (best: space), could be all capital or first letter.

About way it's written: def shortest forms that are understood well (if it's harder to make, then possibly longer but easy to understand), I generally don't like left/right as it confuses me. Possibly you could make it support $loc_there as good as possible, because of "$loc_here => $loc_there" binds.
I guess you are right about the options, I just made it so that people dont have to say that they would prefer number 4 but with different capitals etc, but ye i should have just went with different breakers/colors of 2 words and dont add changing capitals.

Agreed on the left/right its good with voice when your mates know what they are saying (well usually ^^), but no in locs. I try to think of the best indetificator as possible, as i mentioned for bridge on pfo > wet_bridge, because the bridge is in wet and there is none other bridge so its clear. And i guess i would invest more time into fixing errors, when it prints differently when hugging wall next to room with different locs (eg:grave:grass/base). Is that what you meant? I dont really see any other possibility, how i could make it support $loc_there better.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »
Im using 1st style, when I do my own locs. I think it's the best looking style.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
Im using 1st style, when I do my own locs. I think it's the best looking style.
Personally voted for 1) too, altho i like the option 3) aswell. Just wanted to make sure it isnt just my personal feeling, but the majority of community(active, forum community that is).
Also, still kinda hoping that someone will think of a nice little detail to make locs look better, eg:as in pforest, in my locs there is "MAIN_BUNKER_", adding _ at the end makes the loc look cleaner and nicer ;).

EDIT:Just thought of sth, maybe i could use @ at the beginning so it would look like this:
@BASE HIGH
it looks pretty cool ingame and makes the loc look cleaner imo.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:43:40 AM by prozajik »

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
And i guess i would invest more time into fixing errors, when it prints differently when hugging wall next to room with different locs (eg:grave:grass/base). Is that what you meant? I dont really see any other possibility, how i could make it support $loc_there better.
Those are major problems, but when with $loc_there it points towards nearest checkpoint of what you are aiming at, so anywhere at walls, roof or ground. Sometimes this lead to saying $loc_there => "DOWN" when you are in fact "UP" and just aiming at wall nowhere near "DOWN" (this is kinda common with bridges). Way to fix it is to place "UP" marks over "DOWN" marks so if you aim up you are closer to them (probably "UP" is not great there, maybe that room generally). Still this is minor complaint, this is probably more complicated to fix than worth.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »
Dunno, i might try to fix it in first locs and see how hard it actually is.
I can make simple locs in few mins so its not really a problem. I spend most time fixing these "leaks" in locs, pretty hard to think of all of them. Also you need to work out speeds etc, so it doesnt write 10 diferent locs but just 1 or 2 so it is actually understandable :).

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »
Personally voted for 1) too, altho i like the option 3) aswell. Just wanted to make sure it isnt just my personal feeling, but the majority of community(active, forum community that is).
Also, still kinda hoping that someone will think of a nice little detail to make locs look better, eg:as in pforest, in my locs there is "MAIN_BUNKER_", adding _ at the end makes the loc look cleaner and nicer ;).

EDIT:Just thought of sth, maybe i could use @ at the beginning so it would look like this:
@BASE HIGH
it looks pretty cool ingame and makes the loc look cleaner imo.

U probably have my first locs on pbcup_pforest which i made. I did new like 2 weeks ago, I think it is much better now.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
U probably have my first locs on pbcup_pforest which i made. I did new like 2 weeks ago, I think it is much better now.
yep, pretty sure BUNGER > BUNKER, also i edited few other things like "LEDER" and added TOP to side and EYE to bunker, so its basically your locs tweaked by me
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:02:55 PM by prozajik »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »
Those are major problems, but when with $loc_there it points towards nearest checkpoint of what you are aiming at, so anywhere at walls, roof or ground. Sometimes this lead to saying $loc_there => "DOWN" when you are in fact "UP" and just aiming at wall nowhere near "DOWN" (this is kinda common with bridges). Way to fix it is to place "UP" marks over "DOWN" marks so if you aim up you are closer to them (probably "UP" is not great there, maybe that room generally). Still this is minor complaint, this is probably more complicated to fix than worth.
Another problem is that there's currently no line of sight check, so you could get a loc from something in another room.  One of the many things on the "todo" list.

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
Eyes are  more sensitive to colors so 5 :)

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 10:55:30 PM »
This is stupid matter. Who goes And asks if there should be a period or better colors. Locs are locs...

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:34 PM »
#5, easy to distinguish the general area and the particular part of that area with the different colours.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 02:55:22 AM »
Hehe, #5 is style i picked up for my latest locs, came up with that pretty recently. Even tho most people are voting for #1, i still feel like its something missing, pure red loc < red loc with white somewhere in there imo.

Another problem is that there's currently no line of sight check, so you could get a loc from something in another room.  One of the many things on the "todo" list.
Well, i will see how it goes, altho i never actually felt like there was line of sight missing.
On the side not, how many locs there are possible in one map? I remember reaching that limit once and locs started to delete automatically from the #1 loc i placed, everytime i placed new loc.

This is stupid matter. Who goes And asks if there should be a period or better colors. Locs are locs...
AS you can see locs =/= LOCS. Some people prefer dif styles of locs and if i was going to remake my whole pack with same style i wanted to make sure i do it in style that majority likes. I didnt want to end up remaking locs, while everyone would say that the style sucks.
Thinking before acting. Now, i just did that, lets see if you can reproduce it ;).

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 02:59:46 AM »
I'd rather choose number 3, because the red color attracts attention, also the uppercase letters. The _ would look bigger than -, so it is a good spacing colored in white.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »
All honesty IMO, I hate locs. If someone is in the zone who is going to take the time to read them. When ever I play with euros they just spam them. Not one American team uses them. Voice chat is far superior to locs, especially when half of the locs I've seen give horrible recon.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 08:41:16 AM »
All honesty IMO, I hate locs. If someone is in the zone who is going to take the time to read them. When ever I play with euros they just spam them. Not one American team uses them. Voice chat is far superior to locs, especially when half of the locs I've seen give horrible recon.
Well if you dont like them then use voice, simple as that. Also if someone is going to spam them, better have good quality locs than poor ones to spam, right? ;)

We are (were) the only team which was able to use locs effectively against teams usng voice. We were able to beat all the teams (ehm, except one, but shh) with locs. Sooo, locs are decent and work well, but you need to know how to use them ;)
Also, you need some practise, if you never used locs and suddenly someone is reconning using locs, you are screwed. You need to know where every position in the locs is etc.

But i agree that voice is less confusing/easier/better to use than locs.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 04:42:04 PM »
There is a reason road signs are never in all-caps (at least in the UK) .. humans have proved to identify lower cases better than all caps, the same principal goes for locs and that is why 6 is the best. I will recognise 6 faster than 1.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 10:06:04 PM »
I completely disagree and think 1 jumps out at you and 6 you need to look harder at.