Poll

Which type of locs do you like the most?

9 (39.1%)
0 (0%)
2 (8.7%)
0 (0%)
3 (13%)
3 (13%)
0 (0%)
1 (4.3%)
1 (4.3%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
2 (8.7%)
Other
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Locs in 'style' progress  (Read 12617 times)

LaZeRs

• Autococker
Re: Locs style preferation
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 10:20:31 PM »
I agree with the road signs thing, but those are far bigger text than in this game, and especially when playing it at such a fast rate and can barely look at the locs when trying to kill someone, I find it easier to use locs in all capital letters rather than style #6.

noturningback

• PGP
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:22 AM »
There is a reason road signs are never in all-caps (at least in the UK) .. humans have proved to identify lower cases better than all caps, the same principal goes for locs and that is why 6 is the best. I will recognise 6 faster than 1.

Yeah, there has been a fair bit of typography research into the topic of uppercase/lowercase legibility. The argument has long been that lowercase is easier to read because an additional cue is provided in the form of the letter sequence contour. However, it seems that jury is still out on this one, or at least that there is no black and white answer. This source (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2016788/) suggests that when the viewing distance is sufficiently great, there is an advantage for uppercase.

noturningback

• PGP
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 12:18:03 AM »
double.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 02:53:23 AM »
There is a reason road signs are never in all-caps (at least in the UK) .. humans have proved to identify lower cases better than all caps, the same principal goes for locs and that is why 6 is the best. I will recognise 6 faster than 1.
I guess you might be right if we were talking about separated text, but i dont agree if its in teamchat. There is too many lines to recognise locs correctly, also nobody types in all caps in teamchat, so you can recognize your teammates saying sth and locs. When i recon typing, i always try to type in all caps.
Thats another reason why i think all red loc isnt that good, you need some breaker there. It could get confused with teamsay, because it would all red too (if you were red color and if the enemy was in red half, but you get what i mean).

EDIT:Actually, now that i think of it, in Czech rep. we got all sings in caps at least on highways.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »

No wonder the architects I send my projects to are always confused.

;)

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »
So, I guess its pretty clear which locs you guys prefer. Even tho, 23 people isnt what i was hoping for, but it will have to do.
I guess, i will start remaking locs now. If there is any locs for map, which arent in the "viateam-locs" pack, let me know and i will make it aswell (only played maps, not maps i never heard of/dont get played at least few times a month).

EDIT:One more thing, do you think its better to use
BASE HIGH MID
or
BASE HIGH TO MID

also, what do you think about what i suggested before
@BASE HIGH
i think it distinguishes locs from say_team pretty nicely and also makes sense, @ = at

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
I like the @ symbol, good to tell if its chat or locs right away.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 03:23:02 AM »
Reporting back with some 'progress' finally decided to pick up where i left. But need a help.
I would appreciate an idea how to bind "loc_add @BASE HIGH" for example.
Tried
bind b "loc_add @BASE HIGH"
but that doesnt work says "Usage: loc_add <labe/description>".
Using only loc_add "@BASE HIGH" works, but i wanna use it with bind.
Tried
'bind b loc_add "@BASE HIGH"'
aswell as
bind b 'loc_add "@BASE HIGH"'
to make it work like in shell but no success.

EDIT:Progress so far, locs done...
airtime
airtime2
airtime3
airtimeoi
shock
freedom (took me fckin 40 minutes just to think of semi-smart names for places -.-)

EDIT2:Solved the problem thanks to spain, all you need to do is copy the CORRECT space out of funname menu. Dunno if it will work for you but its THIS space not the one you produce by pressince space " ". Heh looks weird, but thats how it is, when you use this space you can then use
bind b loc_add "SOMETHING ELSE"
without errors.

EDIT3: Copying from here doesnt work, so its the space in red rectangle in posted sshot
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:06:10 AM by prozajik »

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:05:08 AM by Squeeze »

prozajik

• Autococker
Re: Locs in 'style' progress
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
So, finally some good progress. Actually came up with 'technique' which allows you to make only locs for 1/2 of the map and then 'turn' them around and make 2nd half as copy of the 1st half (just like you do in bsp). Using some excel & notepad++ editing.

Here is the locs maplist i got so far, i got motivated to get it done for the tourney, so i made locs for maps which are most likely to appear in the upcomming sPec tourney:
ub_columbia
daylight_b1
pbcup_sassault
duck
airtime
wobluda
castle1
carpathian
tatras
propaint1
rome
pbcup_renoir
oth
pbcup_pforest
freedom
airtime (and its mutations like airtimeoi/airtime3)
shock

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
Good job. Simple, Effective locs. + cool looking :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:05:24 AM by Squeeze »

florida

• PGP
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »
Thank you!

flamer

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »
Where do I open direct that .zip in ?

Need a tutorial on how to install that tbh.

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2015, 11:16:42 PM »
Folder you installed pb2 in\locs. Put all of em here. (and the beta ones in locs\beta)