Author Topic: Time Discrepancy 2 Error  (Read 10231 times)

RHS_Chris

• PGP
Time Discrepancy 2 Error
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:16:53 AM »
Hi There, new to the forum but looking for a little help on server issue.

I work in a school which use digital paintball at dinner time,. but since upgrading from build 29 to 28 (and now 40) most players will get kicked for time discrepancy 2.

the current state is i can log onto the server (no one else logged on) and i can run round the map, and about 1-2 mins of running around it will start jumping. then i get the icon at the top which looks like a network cable been unplugged.

when i check the server it says "Player kicked for time discrepancy 2." followed by "player disconnected"

I have restart the DP2 server plenty of times to no luck. I have attached a copy of the server.cfg file (if it uploads)

TRION

• 68 Carbine
Re: Time Discrepancy 2 Error
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:46:47 AM »
your framerate you sent to server got doubled it was earlier used to get speedhack but now it is showed as error and you are disconnected suspecting as a speedhack user

RHS_Chris

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:47:51 AM »
your framerate you sent to server got doubled it was earlier used to get speedhack but now it is showed as error and you are disconnected suspecting as a speedhack user

so what framerate should i be setting to stop this?  also is this client or server side issues?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:24:44 AM »
Well I'm not sure why it would be happening, but the easiest fix would just be putting "set sv_enforcetime2 0" at the end of your server config. It might make speedhacks usable, but as this appears to be for a privately run server you shouldn't have any trouble :)

RHS_Chris

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 05:32:55 AM »
Well I'm not sure why it would be happening, but the easiest fix would just be putting "set sv_enforcetime2 0" at the end of your server config. It might make speedhacks usable, but as this appears to be for a privately run server you shouldn't have any trouble :)

Your right it is a private server (public witihn the school though), i will add/edit that line now and see how it goes.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 07:20:45 AM »
so what framerate should i be setting to stop this?  also is this client or server side issues?
It's not client or server issue, it's connection issue.
Generally this setting is to prevent people from speedhacking. Most speedhacks just fake timescale to game so it sends packets faster than server would expect. This setting makes server track time you send packets in, and normally it shouldn't be a problem, unless there is something wrong with connection (like ping spikes). Then it can wrongly accuse player of speedhacking and kick. Another reason why this can be happening is server having lag spikes.
I asked jitspoe few times before to change this method to client-side speedhack detection but so far got no response.
So yes, you are best of just disabling it or improving connection/server performance.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:31:59 AM »
It sounds like there's a problem with your network.  I'm guessing that even if you disable the speed cheat detection, you will still have issues of freezing in place/warping.  I'm not really sure if there's much you can do about that other than notify your network admin (which you may not want to do if you're not supposed to be playing games on the network).

payl: Client-side cheats are easy to circumvent.  If the check is done server-side, it can be impossible to get around (short of running a hacked server).  I'd rather perfect the server-side detection.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:24:02 PM »
payl: Client-side cheats are easy to circumvent.  If the check is done server-side, it can be impossible to get around (short of running a hacked server).  I'd rather perfect the server-side detection.
Problem with server-sided detection is that there are certain things that are just invisible for server (wallhacks?). I also want to see you implementing anti-aimbot for server... (And see how it bans everyone or nobody).
But well, why do I care, it's less problems developing cheats for me...
I'll put it this way: You have trouble correctly detecting only people that are speedhacking while for everyone on server it's just superobvious who is cheating and who is not (There are at least few scenarios where your antispeedhack doesn't work).

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 05:07:49 AM »

You just exposed a command that must have not been exposed to the forums :o ???

RHS_Chris

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 03:18:19 AM »
It sounds like there's a problem with your network.  I'm guessing that even if you disable the speed cheat detection, you will still have issues of freezing in place/warping.  I'm not really sure if there's much you can do about that other than notify your network admin (which you may not want to do if you're not supposed to be playing games on the network).

I am the school ICT Technician who is getting the game working for the kids on a dinner time so all is ok on that front.

sorry for the late reply on this half term and the misses told me off for doing work at home :( haha.

to confirm i will need to added the "set sv_enforcetime2 0" at the end of the server.cfg in the pball/config folder?

Will test this today and let you know the result.

RHS_Chris

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 04:15:21 AM »
quick update, After addeding the enforcetime2 it doesn't kick anyone out,. it starts to lag when another person is joining the server.

when a player joins the server it comes up with connect.

on the other players screens if they are moving around it will warp/lag and then give you this symbol in the top left corner.

once the connecting user start loading up the map (comes up with dup connection ignored or something like that) the other players can move around freely again. and on one of the computers we got the message about framerate.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »
It sounds like something weird is happening where it thinks multiple clients are actually the same player.  So a bunch of the input from player B is interpreted as being from player A on the server.  The server thinks player A is speed hacking or updating too frequently, and player B isn't sending updates.  How is the network set up?  It seems like UDP traffic might all be getting routed to the same port somehow.

Also, F12 is the screenshot key, if you don't want to take photos of the monitor.

RHS_Chris

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 02:03:49 AM »
It sounds like something weird is happening where it thinks multiple clients are actually the same player.  So a bunch of the input from player B is interpreted as being from player A on the server.  The server thinks player A is speed hacking or updating too frequently, and player B isn't sending updates.  How is the network set up?  It seems like UDP traffic might all be getting routed to the same port somehow.

Also, F12 is the screenshot key, if you don't want to take photos of the monitor.

thats handy to know about F12, Thanks

Right ill try explain everything about the network.  we have a dedicated server for game (running 2 minecraft servers, and digital paintball), the server is connected up through a couple switchs before it goes out to the IT suite the distance from server to suite is 5m so i would imagine there no more then 20/25m of cabling.

The Switchs were installed and managed by the local council so im not 100% sure how they are set up.

What i will try today when i get a spare 20 minutes is plug the server and about 4 other machines into a 5 port hub with static IP and test how it runs,. if this eliminates the problem then i can put it down to the switchs been the fault.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 03:26:20 PM »
I guess the minecraft servers are working OK?  I think minecraft uses TCP.  Paintball2 uses UDP.  Have you tried any other UDP games?

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
I guess the minecraft servers are working OK?  I think minecraft uses TCP.  Paintball2 uses UDP.  Have you tried any other UDP games?
I think it's pretty obvious it's problem with UDP networking, since so many players use servers with no problems (and Minecraft seems to confirm that TCP is okay)... I think some network part has trouble parsing a lot of UDP data...

RHS_Chris

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 06:49:28 AM »
I have done a Quick test. plugged 5 machine into a switch.

used 1 machine as the server and let the other 4 connect,.

There was still some Lag(screen jumping) when a new player joing but it last around 2 seconds. (although the player connecting was much quicker).

this afternoon we will be connect the proper server up to the switch with the 5 machines (as i couldn't disconnect the minecraft server while the students were on) and see if the lag goes back to how it was previously or stays improves. and will update.

RHS_Chris

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 03:09:59 AM »
Quick update

I Plugged the server and 3 machines into an independent switch (not managed by council) give all machine a static IP address (due to no DHCP service). once again a slight lag (about 7-10 screen jumps) is there but no disconnection symbol in top left corner and no error messages.

This to me clarifys that there is a slight problem somewhere that cant' be switch related?? i may be wrong,.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 06:38:28 AM »
Quick update
First of all: There is edit button, we don't accept doubleposting.
Second: There is no need to post every day, just do what we told you and/or what you want and give us results, it's no IRC, we don't need "Quick updates", rather longer explanation what you found. We are in no hurry, and so far you only make it harder for yourself since you don't explain exactly what is going on, assuming we will guess rest.

This to me clarifys that there is a slight problem somewhere that cant' be switch related?? i may be wrong,.
Depends how long you were testing it in this configuration, but I doubt it. I think some kind of firewall has trouble processing loads of UDP packets that travel around. Maybe some kind of website-blocker which checks DNS packets but is just too dumb to reject other UDP packets.

a slight lag (about 7-10 screen jumps)
If your server isn't fast this could be normal. It's well known that if somebody is connecting and server has no resources to do it fastly (i.e. slow internet or machine) it usually lags players until this person connects.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 09:45:02 AM »
If you type "netgraph 1" at the console of the clients, it will display a ping graph at the bottom of the screen (on LAN it should only be a couple pixels, flat).  If there are any black lines, that means there was packet loss.  I'm guessing these "jumps" are caused by packet loss.  I honestly doubt any hardware you have would be slow enough to have lag for performance reasons, as payl suggests, unless some other process is taking up all the CPU.  You could monitor the CPU usage, just to be sure, though.

RHS_Chris

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 02:51:23 AM »
First of all: There is edit button, we don't accept doubleposting.
Second: There is no need to post every day, just do what we told you and/or what you want and give us results, it's no IRC, we don't need "Quick updates", rather longer explanation what you found. We are in no hurry, and so far you only make it harder for yourself since you don't explain exactly what is going on, assuming we will guess rest.

I would never of classed what i did was double posting, double posting to me would mean posting the same information twice on 2 separate occasion to try and get a response, which i added 2 separate bits of information to try and help with the problems i am having,. so i will remember for next time and i will see that as me been told off.

as for anything specific i apologize  if i have missed any information that has been requested from people but i can't see anything that anyone has asked that i have missed.

If you type "netgraph 1" at the console of the clients, it will display a ping graph at the bottom of the screen (on LAN it should only be a couple pixels, flat).  If there are any black lines, that means there was packet loss.  I'm guessing these "jumps" are caused by packet loss.  I honestly doubt any hardware you have would be slow enough to have lag for performance reasons, as payl suggests, unless some other process is taking up all the CPU.  You could monitor the CPU usage, just to be sure, though.

I Have attached a image of the netgraph as mentioned,. the 3 spikes are when another player is joining the server.

I possibly could of gave you this before be didn't really think., but here are the setup up of the Server and PC.

Server

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
4.00GB RAM
Intel Gigabit Network Card.
Windows Server Enterprise 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
Windows firewall Disabled and no 3rd party firewall installed.

PC

Intel core i3 1.8Ghz
4.00GB RAM (3.2gb Usable)
Intel Gigabit Network card
Windows 7 32-bit (Service Pack 1)
Windows firewall enable but blocks all connections that aren't in the allowed list.

The Switches are configured by the local authority so can't comment how they are configured. If we could pin point that it was the switchs then we could get them out to tweak some settings for us.

Thanks for help so far. I am getting closer to the solution Im sure.