Author Topic: Hi My new map Ellis_b3  (Read 9430 times)

Rassy

• VM-68
Hi My new map Ellis_b3
« on: March 13, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
Hi
after a long time I made ​​a map
<3
BETA 1

BETA 2

Gamemode CTF
Team
Red x Blue
color Flag = 5 points
+ white Flag = 3 points

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:26:09 PM by Rassy »

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Hi My new map Ellis_b1
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »
sweet a website i cant understand at all

Rassy

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »
http://dplogin.com/files/maps/beta/ellis_b1.bsp for those who don't want to mess with a foreign download site.

Quick feedback:
- Too many water surfaces (be sure to test with r_reflectivewater 1) causing high r_speeds and some surfaces not to draw.
- Water flowing backward on one side.
- Some minor wood misalignments (I'll try to point out specifics later, if you want).
- The grey stone arch thing looks out of place to me.
- Tiny flag looks really weird.
- Map feels a little dark/overcast - try brightening it up a little.
- Barrels are too wide and don't align with the barrel top texture.

Overall, a pretty decent visual style.  I'm not sure why, but the map felt like it was twice as large as it actually was when I first tried it and was trying to get oriented.  I've uploaded the map to the beta server.  PM me if you need the login.

Rassy

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 04:06:38 AM »
I'll be glad for pictures with bug

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »
Map looks really nice from the screenshots. It has a very clean look, better than almost every map I've seen recently. Yay, a map that could be played!

Rassy

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »
Thank you...
What is your opinion on the white flag ?

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:23:09 AM »
Nice to see you Rassy! :)

Map uploaded to #sPec# servers.

If I am honest, I am not sure if the white flag was a good idea. I'd have to play it to give further feedback on that.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 09:38:53 AM »
Thank you...
What is your opinion on the white flag ?

Honestly? I don't see white flag maps ever being played. People don't like adjusting - and it kinda changes the typical style of game that has happened. Camping is a style of play - by making a mid flag you force them to leave base which typically means the team faster to mid will win the game. This makes the gameplay more in favor of better/more organized teams. Removing Camping from a map also makes it so players who are "defensive" players will want to play the map less. When about half the game prefers a defensive style of play, off the start of the map you're already losing half the community wanting to play it.

Rassy

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »
I know, I wanted the players to walk not only the side roads , and also remove camp. According to the test and opinions do change in the next beta version

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »
Now that you have screenshots uploaded, I see that some of the issues are because you're building the map around nonstandard textures.  The map doesn't look as dark with the light grass texture you're using (which looks bright and washed out in most maps).  You need to stop using that texture, by the way, especially if you're using it on for the dark grass (ex: castle1).

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »
Just so you know, the white flag was basically whole my idea ^^ so blame me for that. I just wanted to see how it plays out so i asked rassy to add it there. I really feel like in this type of map it could work, altho you are right that white flag totally diminishes one style of play which is pretty bad.
Also, i asked for him to add it, because i wanted to have 1 beta with white flag :p. I was sure it was going to get removed for the next beta so.... :D

The problem is, i feel like the mid house is not worth comming to, there is nothing that will reward you enough to go to a tight space like this for easy lines on you. Except trading i guess, but i doubt someone would be so slow that he wouldnt be able to catch you when you are entering the house (talking about the mid house or w/e is that, MID HIGH).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
I guess some play testing will tell if the center flag is fun or not.  Preventing excessive base defense could be a good thing, but rushing the center flag to score a few points over and over usually ends up not being that fun.  The problem with center flags in normal CTF mode is that you have to bring them back to your own base, so you can potentially avoid enemy contact entirely.  I've never played a 3 flag map in a competitive scenario, though.

By the way, if you're dead set on using crate lights, maybe something a little more realistic like this would look better (attached):

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
Just so you know, the white flag was basically whole my idea ^^ so blame me for that. I just wanted to see how it plays out so i asked rassy to add it there. I really feel like in this type of map it could work, altho you are right that white flag totally diminishes one style of play which is pretty bad.
Also, i asked for him to add it, because i wanted to have 1 beta with white flag :p. I was sure it was going to get removed for the next beta so.... :D

The problem is, i feel like the mid house is not worth comming to, there is nothing that will reward you enough to go to a tight space like this for easy lines on you. Except trading i guess, but i doubt someone would be so slow that he wouldnt be able to catch you when you are entering the house (talking about the mid house or w/e is that, MID HIGH).

If you want to play test maps to try things than msg me/Shk on IRC and play vs us. Instead of doing a full "match", we'll do the map we're testing twice - once on NA serv once on EU serv. Then after, we can briefly talk about what we thought needs changes/is good, and come up with a list of things to post to the mapper. Since in reality, you guys and us are the only good teams left, and typically you're the only team that gives us a good match - it'd be the best means of getting real gameplay feedback.

Rassy

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »
I guess some play testing will tell if the center flag is fun or not.  Preventing excessive base defense could be a good thing, but rushing the center flag to score a few points over and over usually ends up not being that fun.  The problem with center flags in normal CTF mode is that you have to bring them back to your own base, so you can potentially avoid enemy contact entirely.  I've never played a 3 flag map in a competitive scenario, though.

By the way, if you're dead set on using crate lights, maybe something a little more realistic like this would look better (attached):
WOW it´s amazing...
will not mind if I use this idea

Rassy

• VM-68
Re: Hi My new map Ellis_b2
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »
B_2..
Mid flag remove
texture fix
add light on mid..

For B_3 Add 2 flag ?

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »
B_2..
Mid flag remove
texture fix
add light on mid..

For B_3 Add 2 flag ?
I'm sorry, not going to test this map until you attach it. We don't need to host everything outside, since it will disappear soon, as proven by older topics. I don't get why people can't learn to just attach stuff they make...

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 04:51:56 PM »
I'm not sure where you would put it... but add a high-to-flag or BD so it isn't as easy to camp. With spcup_framework_b1 me and JMR made it so flag was really hard to camp since it is a 1 flag map so we added a high bd, a raised FD and a sideway to flag. Think of pp1 even though it is easy to camp you still have to turn to face different directions.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 12:16:25 AM »
I'm sorry, not going to test this map until you attach it. We don't need to host everything outside, since it will disappear soon, as proven by older topics. I don't get why people can't learn to just attach stuff they make...
bcz dplogin wont allow you to attach .bsp. I never really understood why as the only thing it says is that the file is too big or that the uploading timed out. But if you put it into .zip/ .rar it works like a charm despite the fact that packing it up doesnt decrease its size that much.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »
bcz dplogin wont allow you to attach .bsp. I never really understood why as the only thing it says is that the file is too big or that the uploading timed out. But if you put it into .zip/ .rar it works like a charm despite the fact that packing it up doesnt decrease its size that much.
For me it says perfectly if file has wrong extension. Still, only person I can think of that can't use zipping tools, is my grandmother. You are not her, are you? ;)

Jitspoe, maybe add following extensions as allowed? .bsp, .7z (seven zip archive), .map.