Author Topic: Lag spikes ONLY in pb  (Read 3708 times)

prozajik

• Autococker
Lag spikes ONLY in pb
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:25:49 PM »
As some of you know, i started streaming lately and so lag spikes are pretty much a problem. Basically because i wanna stream sth which has decent quality and if i have 500 ping i cant really play well.

Tho the thing i am posting about has nothing to do with stream.
I was playing this 1v1 on OTB server, and i got 500 lag spikes

At the same time i was pinging the same otb server through cmd and it was like totally fine, didnt even go over 500. I was doing the same with google.com and same result, tho i didnt screen it.

So to sum up, i had stream running at the time, didnt have lag in cmd, but in PB 500 ping spikes. Any ideas what the hell could that be? And its not the first time this happened.
Also, i am on LAN not wifi.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
Re: Lag spikes ONLY in pb
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »
I recall that last time I wanted to watch you stream, it was quite choppy, and I'm not sure if my internet is to blame.

You should remember that "ping" command isn't good to detect lag spikes, I would suspect that your internet too slow to handle both stream and playing.

I'm really not sure if streaming by twitch is best thing to do with streaming of Paintball. Ideally I would like observer server where I can join and just watch everyone that is playing on other match server. It would be just like ingame so possibly no major lags. Only drawback would be lack of voice commentary.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
Well i got it much better now, i think it was my stream. Was my first time running stream, now everything runs smooth and in decent quality compared to my first tries.
Even tho, ping isnt the best way to determine lags, because it doesnt catch all the packets, but just a certain number, i still think if i lag this much (you can see netgraph there), it would catch at least one ping with ping over 60.
And honestly i think that my internet is fine (judging by the ping, if i ping doesnt lag, my internet should be in OK state even tho i was streaming at the moment), because as you can see the ping is totally stable, it wouldnt if there was some kind of shiet happening with the net (at least i hope so).

What i was able to figure out, that its somehow connected to stream actually. But again, i have no idea how it can affect my ping in game and not affect my ping on the exact same server/google.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
Well i got it much better now, i think it was my stream. Was my first time running stream, now everything runs smooth and in decent quality compared to my first tries.
Uh, this way yesterday or so :D .

Even tho, ping isnt the best way to determine lags, because it doesnt catch all the packets, but just a certain number, i still think if i lag this much (you can see netgraph there), it would catch at least one ping with ping over 60.
Ping packets aren't just UDP trafic, could be router prioritizing them? :P

My questions for you:
1. Does that happen on all servers? Why did you mention OTB?
2. Lags are gone as soon as you stop stream? And back as soon as you start again?
3. Lags are happening on regular basis, yes? i.e. you good your normal ping but then each (how often?) you get lag for (how long?)
4. Can you try reducing settings with your stream and checking if lags are still present? I think problem might be your internet speed. How much up and down you have?
5. Did you vote for my new nick?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
It is kind of strange that you'd be seeing spikes in the ping in-game but not the ping tool.  Only thing that comes to mind right now is that maybe the TCP packets are taking priority over UDP.  The amount of data sent through the ping is probably a lot less than the game is sending (though the game shouldn't be sending a whole lot).  In pubs, there are more players though, so you might be just at the threshold of what the connection is capable of.  I think you can specify with a command line how much data to send in the ping, so it would be interesting to see if your ping times go up if you ping with more data.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 02:49:27 PM »
5. Did you vote for my new nick?
I sure did

It is kind of strange that you'd be seeing spikes in the ping in-game but not the ping tool.  Only thing that comes to mind right now is that maybe the TCP packets are taking priority over UDP.  The amount of data sent through the ping is probably a lot less than the game is sending (though the game shouldn't be sending a whole lot).  In pubs, there are more players though, so you might be just at the threshold of what the connection is capable of.  I think you can specify with a command line how much data to send in the ping, so it would be interesting to see if your ping times go up if you ping with more data.
I will try that next time i lag and maybe tomorrow to see what happens. Kinda tired today.

Uh, this way yesterday or so :D .
Uhm, weird ^^, altho yesterday i was playing around with settings so that might be it.

Ping packets aren't just UDP trafic, could be router prioritizing them? :P
Didnt set anything in my router (it supports prioritizing), its on default ATM -> prioritizing is off.

1. Does that happen on all servers? Why did you mention OTB?
2. Lags are gone as soon as you stop stream? And back as soon as you start again?
3. Lags are happening on regular basis, yes? i.e. you good your normal ping but then each (how often?) you get lag for (how long?)
4. Can you try reducing settings with your stream and checking if lags are still present? I think problem might be your internet speed. How much up and down you have?
1)I dont actaully know, happened to me today on crack pgp so i guess the answer could be yes
2)Not necesarely, this time i tried disabling stream and went away +-, altho when i was in crack pgp, it didnt go away, i was still  lagging 30 secs after disabling stream (it might have been just big delay it took to actually disable the stream tho dunno)
3)Unfortunately, they are not, there is no specific occasion when it happens nothing on my pc happening out of the blue. I cant reproduce them.
It lags for +- 1-2 minutes until fixing
4)I can certainly try that next time. It should be fine, let me post my settings here

INET:
Stream is set to use "2000 kb/s" and there should be more than enough 'speed' left to use for paintball

SPECS:
using LAN
Windows 8.1
latest driver for LAN (if there actually was one heh ^^)
i will post more if its needed
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:11:14 PM by prozajik »

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »
If your router support prioritizing then set it to prioritize UDP trafic over TCP and check what happens. It should set it that game packets are sent before stream packets. However I don't think your router really supports this advanced prioritizing :P .

It is kind of strange that you'd be seeing spikes in the ping in-game but not the ping tool.  Only thing that comes to mind right now is that maybe the TCP packets are taking priority over UDP.  The amount of data sent through the ping is probably a lot less than the game is sending (though the game shouldn't be sending a whole lot).  In pubs, there are more players though, so you might be just at the threshold of what the connection is capable of.  I think you can specify with a command line how much data to send in the ping, so it would be interesting to see if your ping times go up if you ping with more data.

Setting ping size can lead to weird effects, most servers will either reject them or return small packets (i.e. google).

However so far it only looks like big traffic cause your connection to lose performance :P .

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »
My router supports 3 "prioritizing" modes: normal, voip andddd super ultra wombo como "gaming" mode :D i doubt that too altho gaming mode sounds promising. Might give it a try.
Setting ping size can lead to weird effects, most servers will either reject them or return small packets (i.e. google).

However so far it only looks like big traffic cause your connection to lose performance :P .
Then i just need site which supports size pings and see if its really the issue. I guess if it was really the issue there is no real fix to it is there?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
A nice tool for troubleshooting lag/other network issues is WinMTR.  It is a light-weight application that is very easy to use.

Run a WinMTR scan to the servers you are having problems on and it might provide some information.

http://winmtr.net/  

Post results here if you need help analyzing them, although it should be very straightforward.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 03:15:46 AM »
A nice tool for troubleshooting lag/other network issues is WinMTR.  It is a light-weight application that is very easy to use.

Run a WinMTR scan to the servers you are having problems on and it might provide some information.

http://winmtr.net/   

Post results here if you need help analyzing them, although it should be very straightforward.
Thanks, i will try it next time i have lags, altho this is what i was talking about, there is no way for me to actually analyze traceroute or w/e, if my ping is fine but i lag only ingame. Tho i will give it a shot, maybe it will detect sth cmd ping couldnt.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 04:58:49 AM »
deleted
i am dumb, had another lag issue, but restarting PB fixed it