Author Topic: Underwater FINAL RELEASE  (Read 22641 times)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Underwater FINAL RELEASE
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »
Unlike my first two maps (New York and Neon) Underwater is medium-sized, is not loaded down with paths, and its name does not start with ne-.

There are two main paths in underwater: high and low. However, both of these paths have multiple entrances and exits, so it may feel as if it has more than just two paths.

I use a few custom textures in this map, not nearly as much as NY/Ne, and (of course) a custom env.

Shout out to open_war for letting me use the crystal objects brushes originally taken from his crystal map.

EDIT: The images below are taken from the final release of Underwater.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izTmRiN3RmUTFZMzQ/edit?usp=sharing

Beta 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izQWgtWEtSNENzTk0/edit?usp=sharing

Beta 3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izSkt0M1lXMnZEUW8/edit?usp=sharing

Beta 4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izSzBGUU9UMGlRLU0/view?usp=sharing

Beta 5: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izU0oteEFFd0NKRjQ/view?usp=sharing

FINAL RELEASE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjPnpC-2OsFTcR-n-66AC5RhCJPsovEP/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:37:05 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Map: Underwater_b1
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »
its name does not start with ne-.
Clap.

But, there is one main issue: You still didn't learn how to attach map to your forum post.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »
Need some pix, dawg.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 07:44:46 PM »
But, there is one main issue: You still didn't learn how to attach map to your forum post.
I would if my browser would let me.
Need some pix, dawg.
Added.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 08:34:35 AM »
I would if my browser would let me.
It's not browser failure, it's operator failure.
Probably you haven't added map into zip (I think there is issue which prevents forum from displaying error about extension, perhaps?).

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »
Feedback please?

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 02:51:53 AM »
This problem has been solved by illegalizing camping. There are four signs throughout the bases that warn players that camping is strictly forbidden. If this is not enough to convince players not to camp, please provide suggestions.
Your plan has one flaw, what if newbies cant speak english? :p
Anyway, i think the problem with camping would solve adding another floor to the map as well as making gameplay more fun. This way, if the map would ever get played there would always one camper sitting in base.
ALSO, add glass to the sides of your side entrances to the base so you can see camper on one side and this can fully focus on the other side where flag is without having to care about being backshoted as soon as you step into base (i mean those holes on the sides, not FD)

Moving on to main, its too empty, add some stuff there preferably another stone or ramp to jump to 2nd floor which you could add :p
Also, i would prefer main to look like this
Makes much more sense, because you can move in the whole map without having the movement impairment from water.
And if you changed main like i suggested, you could add scafolding1 on one side, solving the emptiness of your map (making it look like something is being fixed on one side :p)

As for mid, the gameplay there is pretty decent i would say. Its probably your first map which wouldnt get me totally bored, when someone picked it.

And one last thing, get some better sky texture, this one sucks :p
And pls, work on the lighting more, it could look soo much cooler just have a look at the picture above. The light emitting down the ground looks really nice, try reaching it somehow in BSP. Not saying that i am sure its possible (because its BSP so it might not be), but at least try to make it look like the image above (lighting wise). This map has so much potential for details and really cool lighting, try to use it fully :p

scafolding1

INSPIRATION
https://www.google.cz/search?q=underwater+tunnel&client=firefox-a&hs=XHn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0zdSU-uhO7TH7AaIjoCQBQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=946

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:00:40 AM »
Baseballdude, unfortunately as much as I cant stand camping it is an important part of the game. You can have 100 paths but someone is still going to do it. Its a style of game play just like rushing. The better player can always kill a camper.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 10:37:30 AM »
And one last thing, get some better sky texture, this one sucks :p
Would this be better?

[image removed due to unnecessariness)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:57:54 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »
Would this be better?
Surroundings look tons better, the "ceiling" cant be judged from this angle, would have to see it in my game or from better angle.

I think it would be cool to try to simulate these "light emitting" on floor as in the photo i posted above. Altho, as i said it might not be possible with BSP. You could try using invisible "Light entities" with some weird settings to make it look similar, dunno just an idea ;). (maybe you still wanna get back to it, just wanted to say it once again as i thought my explanation might have been a little confusing).

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
Does anyone know if there's a way to get the water caustics onto the ground without having actual water present?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 11:30:30 PM »
Uploaded to the beta server.

The layout is very... bland, to be honest.  Especially the base.  I just don't see that playing well.

The purple rock texture looks very unnatural.  It's also a bit dark.  The crystals look a bit out of place, too.  If you're going to keep them, you should make custom r_scripts to put an env effect on them and make them shiny.

Also, r_scripts are the answer on how to get the caustic effect on your other surfaces: pball/scripts/caustiscs.txt has the caustic effect.  You'll have to create a new texture entry for every surface you want the caustic effect on, and you might have to make a bunch of low res "dummy" textures to avoid copying official textures, if you use those.

textures/sfx/caustics/caustics1_02 is probably the one you want (since it's the animated one).  Keep in mind that adding this will mean each surface will have to be rendered multiple times, which affects performance.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:58:45 PM »
How is this for lighting, prozajik?
EDIT2: Current image represents current situation.
EDIT4: Updated again.
EDIT5: removed image because we need to conserve bandwidth

the crystals look a bit out of place, too.  If you're going to keep them, you should make custom r_scripts to put an env effect on them and make them shiny.
idk how to do that
EDIT: Thanks jits. I think I got it now
EDIT2: Oh wait no I don't
EDIT3: Oh wait yes I do
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:56:34 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 08:47:47 AM »
idk how to do that
Take a look at the rscipt for the player mask.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »
Take a look at the rscipt for the player mask.
I tried but it didn't work.
Code: [Select]
textures/baseballdude/reflectr.png
{
{
map textures/baseballdude/rocksr.jpg
blendfunc gl_src_color gl_one
envmap
}
{
map textures/baseballdude/reflectr.png
blendfunc blend
}
}

reflectr.png is a completely transparent image.
rocksr.jpg is a red version of the dark purple rocks.

It doesn't work. Is there anything I might have done wrong?

EDIT: fixed. Took the .png out of the original thingy and got it to work.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:03:21 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »
Try this:

{
{
blendfunc blend
}
{
map players/male/glare.jpg
blendfunc gl_one gl_one
envmap
}
}

The rock will be the base level, with normal blending.  The reflection will render on top of that with additive blending.

They're reversed in the mask because the frame of the mask draws on top of the glass part of it.  In this case, you want the shiny stuff to be on top of the color.

If that works, you can change the glare to be something else.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 07:08:33 AM »
Try this:

{
{
blendfunc blend
}
{
map players/male/glare.jpg
blendfunc gl_one gl_one
envmap
}
}

The rock will be the base level, with normal blending.  The reflection will render on top of that with additive blending.

They're reversed in the mask because the frame of the mask draws on top of the glass part of it.  In this case, you want the shiny stuff to be on top of the color.

If that works, you can change the glare to be something else.
Thanks for the help, but fortunately the problem has already been solved.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
How does the lighting in the image somewhere up there^ look?

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 06:39:52 PM »
Finally starting to live up to its visual potential ^^ gj. I guess i would like a .bsp instead of picture to see how it looks ingame, but from the picture it looks pretty cool. It might need a little more work before its perfect, but i think you improved look of this map enormously.

As for the gameplay part of this map, what i said before still stands, main too empty and i dont like that you can camp in the corners of the 2 other rooms. Also, as i said before, adding 2nd floor to the base might be a good idea and would give you more grabbing potential.

Rassy

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 02:44:00 AM »
Nice idea.. (y)