Author Topic: Domination Mode  (Read 4504 times)

Neoterra

• VM-68
Domination Mode
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:32:37 AM »
Hello,

I wished a new game mode or other options for KOTH.
The idea is mode like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzpjhbdMyk

The problem to making a map like domination are the points on KOTH.

for example: 3 spots, 2 teams and 8 players
spot 1: complete blue team have the spot
spot 2: 2 red have the spot
spot 3: 2 red have the spot

Actually situation is, that no team get points.
But i want points for both teams. 1 for blue and 2 for red.
For me i think little changes but i am not a programmer. Don´t know if it was easy to implement.

I think that can make good wars on server with elimtime: 5-10 and 20 players.
And new experience for clanmatches. More tactical and of course lower elimtime too.

What are you think?

p.s. I hope you understand me, my english is not good ;)

Mission

• 68 Carbine
Re: Domination Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:44:30 AM »
I like the idea, however, you have to ask yourself how realistic it is that a new gamemode might be implemented. Jitspoe is busy with bots and textures and hopefully a ranking system comes next but at the moment there is no need for a new gamemode. We desperately need other things so non-needed gamemodes will probably not be implemented. While I would play this in matches if there were good maps for it, I don't think alot of older players would like it. It isn't what they have stuck around for. Matching will always be CTF 60s respawn.

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:55:41 AM »
It´s not real a new gamemode. Only one thing to change in KOTH mode. If it would be a feature mode, you want vote it mission?

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »
I really like the idea of domination mode. If we were to implement a new game mode like domination, then I believe that all SPEED servers should only be allowed to choose that mode (and not allowed to choose other game modes, it would solve the problems that occur in speed servers). Why? Its simple, better spawn setup due to the modes characteristics. But a problem does arrive: Will Dpb2 (Quake Style) of gaming support this game mode? How about maps? Maps would need to be remade, rethink-ed, or even reinvented to support this game mode; imagine playing domination on shock l0l. I know there are some good maps where this can exist, for example, zpar, the map is large enough to support a game mode like domination and other characteristics of that map that is vital for this new game mode; if it were to be implemented.

Btw, this thread is in the wrong section: correct section is Bugs, Feature request, Feedback. I know its not a "new idea" but since it doesn't exist for this game, it is considered a "new idea"

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
This is essentially KOTH, just with points being awarded another way.
Probably could be solved by adding a new variable like koth_pointsbasedonplayers_welikelongvariablenames.
One problem could be that team with less players would obviously lose, also if map isn't designed really smart, this can end in most of team camping in closest to base "spot" to get most points. Probably something like multiplier (i.e. high on central spot, lower on other spots) would help here.

So programming-wise it's not too hard, but I'm not sure if it would be extension to KOTH or rather new gamemode.
Thing I mentioned earlier would be helpful here: variables per map.

Even so, this will be implemented in 1+ year if jitspoe would like now said it's great idea and we need to implement it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:41:59 PM »
Feature vote here:

http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10311

I think this would be better implemented as a whole new game mode.  I think it's more than just tuning variables, and maps should be built with the mode in mind (not that there were many KOTH maps to begin with).

KOTH is about being on the hill.  Domination is about controlling territory.  It might make sense to have a new spawning system like battlefield where you select one of the areas you control to spawn in.  It would also need new UI to indicate which teams control what points, flag raised status on the points, etc.

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »
+1 to this idea :D

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:35:36 PM »
*-*   *push*   *-*

ic3y

• Committee Member