Author Topic: Mouse "sensitivity" lags  (Read 14764 times)

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
Mouse "sensitivity" lags
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »
I believe my mouse is Okay, but I have sometimes during playing very uncomfortable lags. I tryed "m_rawinput 1" - it worked Okay for several days and later again mouse lags started. I tryed 2 mouses (everytime the same problem) and I have this problem for a month I guess... Where could be the problem? My laptop or the game?

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Re: Mouse "sensitivity" lags
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:13:48 AM »
I have 2 laptops on which I play Dp. I have exactly the problem u explained on my 2nd lappy when having TS opened. I tried turning V sync on and it helped a bit.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:53:14 AM »
I don't know what you guys mean. Having sensitivity in topic name, do you mean that mouse feels less/more sensitive at certain points? Or doesn't it work at all at certain points? Or wtf.
Matze, since you mentioned Vsync, does this include displaying, or just mouse?
There is big difference between input problems and general game slowness at certain points.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:02:56 AM »
In my case the mouse just stops moving for a short amount of time.
I t meant the vsync u can enable in the video setup menu in dp.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »
In my case the mouse just stops moving for a short amount of time.
I t meant the vsync u can enable in the video setup menu in dp.
Does it happen outside DP or in other games?
You can try with various settings (mouse related), it might help. Other than that never occurred for me and never heard of it. I guess Jitspoe might have an idea what this is, possibly you want to give him mouse related settings you use.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »
I guess its my lappy because when I use my other one with the same mouse i dont have these lags.
Edit: In other games I don't have any mouse lags :p

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:14:54 AM »
I guess its my lappy because when I use my other one with the same mouse i dont have these lags.
I wouldn't think this is mouse, I would think this is driver/OS and way DP handle it.
Of course you don't need to post this, but if jitspoe won't be able to tell wtf from Rangers data, you can help out :P .
I guess we should wait for more data from Ranger so we know more about problem...
Ranger, post your mouse related settings, OS, make sure you are using b40... Also are you sure it's not just whole game being laggy for sec? I personally saw game being laggy for sec on machines that shouldn't have any problem handling DP (and generally don't have such problem).

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »
fix your fps and try to use cable for you internet

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
seta cl_drawfps 3

That will show you the lowest framerate every half second or so.  See if the fps display drops down when you're seeing these "lags".  Sounds like you're getting low framerate spikes causing your view to jump/lag.  I don't think it has anything to do with the mouse.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 06:14:52 PM »
Also, are you by any chance playing on linux? I remember having pretty huge problems there with my mouse, just wasn't smooth no matter what i did. But i guess it probably is not your case, because as you said it goes away. The problem i am talking here about is constant.

From my experience, PB doesn't handle high fps well. Try what jitspoe said, and if it doesn't help, you can try the other way, that is lowering your fps.
cl_maxfps X
but Viciouz told me once even better command
cl_sleep 4 makes the CPU wait 4 milliseconds after a frame, which means there is a limit of 250fps, but it's not quite the same as cl_maxfps 250. You could try cl_maxfps 250 instead if you want, I'm not sure it has the exact same effect. Personally I use cl_maxfps 59, 60hz refresh rate and gl_swapinterval 1 which gives me no screen tearing and no mouse lag.
you could try messing around with these commands to see if it helps.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »
What you would use ideally:
60hz refresh
gl_swapinterval 1
cl_maxfps 120, 90, or 66 (66 is ideal for double jumps, can switch to 120 for ramps, 90 for strafes and cjs, 27 for ladders and triples, 22 for standing djs/cjs)
cl_async 0 (i think client forces this anyways)

I had an issue a bit ago with awful response times at random points like you are having, I could have sworn it came up when I was playing the the cl_draw cmds, but who knows. I did a fresh install and I never had the issue again.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »
cl_maxfps 120, 90, or 66 (66 is ideal for double jumps, can switch to 120 for ramps, 90 for strafes and cjs, 27 for ladders and triples, 22 for standing djs/cjs)
How the hell you even came up with this (i know its what you need to use for some ladder jumps, but still) :D. Is there someone who can explain this and why does it make such a difference, switching maxfps value?

Also, what you mean by "120 for ramps" does it mean you fly higher or what ^^. I have been running around with 1k fps capped and could do everything without any difficulties. The only time i had to switch was for some ladder jump on one map, for other maps ladder jump worked just fine with 1k.

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
How the hell you even came up with this (i know its what you need to use for some ladder jumps, but still) :D. Is there someone who can explain this and why does it make such a difference, switching maxfps value?

Also, what you mean by "120 for ramps" does it mean you fly higher or what ^^. I have been running around with 1k fps capped and could do everything without any difficulties. The only time i had to switch was for some ladder jump on one map, for other maps ladder jump worked just fine with 1k.

play some q2jump and u'll understand it

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 10:26:36 AM »

Most of the values take advantage of some minor physics manipulation. It seems arbitrary, but they have been tested over a long period of time. 120 is what people have figured for the best "high" fps, any higher tends to be a negative effect. The only way to explain the others is to use them yourself and see the difference. They are all minor advantages, but they still can make things easier. 

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »
Most of the values take advantage of some minor physics manipulation. It seems arbitrary, but they have been tested over a long period of time. 120 is what people have figured for the best "high" fps, any higher tends to be a negative effect. The only way to explain the others is to use them yourself and see the difference. They are all minor advantages, but they still can make things easier. 

mhh i dont think this works for pb

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 01:07:44 PM »
Well after playing around with it, 120 doesnt seem to change anything because of the changes to ramps jits did, 90/66/27/22 still work for me though.

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 03:05:05 AM »
seta cl_drawfps 3

That will show you the lowest framerate every half second or so.  See if the fps display drops down when you're seeing these "lags".  Sounds like you're getting low framerate spikes causing your view to jump/lag.  I don't think it has anything to do with the mouse.

I tryed. Normal fps during map was around 125, 110.. and when these lags occured, fpw dropped down to 80, 50, 20

Oberhippie

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 04:19:34 AM »
Do you use a Logitech mouse or keyboard with the Logitech Gaming Software?

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
It seems that "Vertical sync" in video option fixed my problem...

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »
Youre welcome. lol.