Author Topic: advanced scoreboard  (Read 8131 times)

lukip

• VM-68
advanced scoreboard
« on: May 17, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
hello

some of you will know this chart..
http://www.globalgamers.net/league/index.php?l=1&s=1&mod=stats&view=players

what do you think about including points/map and skill in our DP scoreboard? and is this even possible?

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: advanced scoreboard
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:27:07 PM »
I already have a massive ego as I'm superior to everyone else who has every played Digital Paint: Paintball 2.0 , I don't need stats to boost my ego even more.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
I already have a massive ego as I'm superior to everyone else who has every played Digital Paint: Paintball 2.0 , I don't need stats to boost my ego even more.

Bigger than Alyssa DePalma's rack?

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »

u sure?

#whereis#hashtag#ilikebirds#hishk

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "points/map", as the scoreboard is going to be fresh each map, it would just be "points/1", or "points", right?  I assume you're requesting some kind of point value for each player that takes into account grabs, caps, kills and/or deaths, so players can be sorted more accurately by their contribution to the team.

If you're requesting a full-on ranking system, there's a feature vote for it here: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10078

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:39:33 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "points/map", as the scoreboard is going to be fresh each map, it would just be "points/1", or "points", right? 

yes, points/1.

I assume you're requesting some kind of point value for each player that takes into account grabs, caps, kills and/or deaths, so players can be sorted more accurately by their contribution to the team.

exactly, and i think autobalance script would work better too with an optimized scoreboard.

edited..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:11:19 AM by lukip »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »
Autobalance actually takes a lot of this stuff into account already, though it weighs more heavily on time in the match now than score.  Fact is, people don't like being switched to the losing team, even if they're the best possible fit for it.

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
Autobalance actually takes a lot of this stuff into account already, though it weighs more heavily on time in the match now than score.  Fact is, people don't like being switched to the losing team, even if they're the best possible fit for it.

oh didnt know that, i know that feeling to get switched into the other team [dont laugh at me community, thanks]

anyone else interested in such a scoreboard?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
What would be really cool is if you (jits) can implement the following feature: when you view the scoreboard with the tab button, you can click a player's name and it will give a drop-down thingy showing more advanced statistics, such as caps per game, kills per minute, etc.

Also, in build 41, you should change the default order of players on the scoreboard for public servers so that the player with the most caps is at the top of the scoreboard for his/her team. I think I already said this before, but certain players will spawnkill only because it is an effective means of getting to the top of the scoreboard. I don't believe that this is an issue for matches, so what I'm thinking is that it could be a setting/c_var to control how the scoreboard is organized.

promarijan

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 12:54:27 AM »
Right at the moment it would be possible to do with "allow spec".

You could also do there some administration. (kick,ban,switch to team xy, etc.)

That would be the start of a drop-down menu for a scoreboard.

The placement of the drop-down menu is more difficult than the functions itself. Idk, i have to test that.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 12:01:27 PM »
What would be really cool is if you (jits) can implement the following feature: when you view the scoreboard with the tab button, you can click a player's name and it will give a drop-down thingy showing more advanced statistics, such as caps per game, kills per minute, etc.

Also, in build 41, you should change the default order of players on the scoreboard for public servers so that the player with the most caps is at the top of the scoreboard for his/her team. I think I already said this before, but certain players will spawnkill only because it is an effective means of getting to the top of the scoreboard. I don't believe that this is an issue for matches, so what I'm thinking is that it could be a setting/c_var to control how the scoreboard is organized.
I like your first idea a lot.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »
That would require some kind of global stats system to be in place first, if we want info outside of the existing match.  I do want to have some kind of menu where you can do things like mute/ignore/kick/spec/etc. from the scoreboard.  Related feature vote:
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10309

It should be easy to change the sorting.  I don't think there needs to be a cvar for it.  Perhaps sort by caps, then grabs, then kills?

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 02:20:03 PM »
That would require some kind of global stats system to be in place first

so..is that ever gonna happen?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 06:49:22 AM »
It should be easy to change the sorting.  I don't think there needs to be a cvar for it.  Perhaps sort by caps, then grabs, then kills?
What I'm thinking is that it's sorted in that order based on on which server you're playing. It should be the default setting on public servers to sort based on caps, which can be changed by the admin entering a cvar or a setting in the server config. If the matching community does not support this change, then the default match server setting could be the traditional sorting method.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 07:10:57 AM »
I dont agree with the whole caps thing. Its been kills for 15+ years why would we change it? What other games have "caps" dictate scoreboard rank? Its always about K/D for every game, keep it that way. There are about 100000000 things Jitspoe could be working on besides this to improve the game, this is a complete waste.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 07:43:38 AM »
I think caps sorted first would make the game go alot faster. Everyone would be rushing to get the flag and sit and wait until the person with the flags captures it to get their turn. I guess it would discourage camping by a small portion, but spawnkilling would be another problem. I like the current system because you can either be MVP by getting the most kills (you will be at the top of the list) or the most caps (you will have the most points scored for your team - most of the time).

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »
Its been kills for 15+ years why would we change it?
We'd only change it if it were the better option.
What other games have "caps" dictate scoreboard rank? Its always about K/D for every game, keep it that way.
"With its high-value team objectives... Paintball2 offers a very unique experience." ~from Jitspoe's quick summary of the game on the home page
Paintball2 is not like other games. That is why we all play Paintball2 rather than other games. There are many instances on the forums when change is being debated where a person will use "other games have this" as an argument to validate his/her point. I don't like it when that happens.
There are about 100000000 things Jitspoe could be working on besides this to improve the game, this is a complete waste.
"It should be easy to change the sorting." ~jitspoe

I think caps sorted first would make the game go alot faster.
Not if a server admin decides to increase the game-winning caps to above 50.
Everyone would be rushing to get the flag and sit and wait until the person with the flags captures it to get their turn.
There is an option for "flag cap ends round."
If both of the things you mentioned above come true if this is ever implemented and become a problem, we could use my two "quick" solutions above, or if it was better
before, just revert back in the next build.
I like the current system because you can either be MVP by getting the most kills (you will be at the top of the list) or the most caps (you will have the most points scored for your team - most of the time).
That's actually a valid argument. Obviously there are pros and cons with either decision.

[edited to remove the unpopular grammar nazi trollish content]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:59:17 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 10:41:14 AM »
Let me introduce u to a good friend named the delete button he will help you with all your maps.

Don't try to flame me and give me English lessons. I don't give a excrement.

I expressed an opinion just like you and have been quite nice to some of your moronic posts as of late do you want me to excrement on your every post again?

PS where is payl when I need him.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »
LOL @ BASEBALLDUDE GIVING meddling ENGLISH LESSONS. God darn. I should go back and mock all his posts. Do not pretend you're good at English when there are many mistakes in ever post you have made. It's a intercoursein video game forum and you've got high school level English. Please kid, go back to smashing water balloons and acting like it's the coolest thing in the world because you have the mind of a preschooler.

Now to the post: (Pretty much all to baseballstupid donkey)

- Anyone who has matched before should realize "caps" are a terrible way of having the scoreboard sorted. It should carry some weight - but keyword is some. Kills/Death and Win/Loss are far more important factors.

- In "Matches" between clans (not poor pub teams, but real teams who give a intercourse about winning and aren't garbage. You know, the people who will be on the top of scoreboards) - there are not many caps. Caps are typically a cause of revives or trades. It is rare for a "good" player to be capped in a match. This is because capping isn't that important, nobody just goes around capping people. Teamwork causes caps more than skill does, when its 2 good teams. (Obviously if youre matching vs like baseballdude then you can cap all day since he can't strafe)

- Just because the gameplay is different than other games, doesn't mean the game itself is different. Don't mock peoples English if you have no common sense to reason through an argument. If DP2 wants to compete with other games, it has to see what other games has and be compared to it. This doesn't change that DP is unique, it just makes room for improvement. You not liking those arguments is because you're not a very smart person.

- Increasing game winning caps to above 50 is stupid. Games first to 50 and that's it.

- Baseballdude strafes sideways, I vote all his posts about game development/gamplay be instantly removed. It's clear he does not have the knowledge to understand, yet feels the need to post as if he knows anything. Which is laughable. Trying to mock peoples english when his posts show he lacks intelligence. Laughable. Just like his lisp.

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 12:23:07 PM »
Dear Clipz,
Let me introduce u to a good friend named the delete button he will help you with all your maps.
Sincerely,
Everyone