Author Topic: Recording Dp2 Demo's  (Read 4306 times)

Fluk3

• Stingray
Recording Dp2 Demo's
« on: May 17, 2014, 06:33:34 PM »
Hey i have been trying to figure out how to demo's for some time and im constantly having problems. I record with fraps and i will get major fps drops while recording and same happens in the playback, the fps is capped at 60 on fraps soo i dont see what the problem is. Its not like i have a bad pc or anything. Also using other recorders such as Hypercam 3 and Camtasia when i record all i get is a grey screen when i play the avi back. Ive tried using all different codecs, settings ect and i cant seem to get anything to work other than fraps but the fps drops are horrible. Would really appreciate it if somone could tell me what the problem is.  

Also turning high res textures off and texture quality down does not work =(

Pc Specs: Gpu - GTX 560 TI 2GB
              CPU - 3.5 ghz 6 core
              R.A.M - 8gb

Fluk3

• Stingray
Re: Recording Dp2 Demo's
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »
Fixed thanks to VicouZ - If you have more than 1 HDD save the avi's to the drive u are using the least.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 03:58:04 AM »
Well fraps generally sucks, bcz it forces the app you are recording to run in fps in which you are recording. I would suggest dxtory, that is probably the most used recording app for games. Unfortunately its paid.
You could try OBS (program for streaming which is free) and i believe there is option to record the "stream" to HDD.

If you are going to record more than 1 video, i think it might be worth trying to figure out sth else than fraps, as fraps doesn't even allow you to record videos longer than 30 secs unless you buy it.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 04:20:46 AM »
Well fraps generally sucks, bcz it forces the app you are recording to run in fps in which you are recording.
No, it does not. It forces the executable to render in multiples of the framerate you are recording in. And if you think about it, it actually makes sense to do this.
For most people it "sucks" because they don't have a fast harddrive and Fraps saves it's recoded videos almost uncompressed to not occupy the CPU. This also makes sense if you think about it, but drops the performance of a game incredibly when you save the videos to the same harddrive the game is installed on. After all, Fraps is for people who want to professionally record things on their screens like Let's Players and have the money to afford a second, fast harddrive.
I set Paintball to limit it's fps at 250. When I start a recording (30 FPS, Full HD, no forceless RGB), it drops to 240 (8*30). No lag at all, the result is perfect. HD6950, i7 3770K and Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 05:01:19 AM »
Thats really weird, because i am pretty sure my fps dropped to 30 everytime i started recording with fraps and same was for selda. Maybe they changed something, but i am positive this used to happen. Talking about 'trial' version, without any advanced options. Tho haven't used fraps for about 2-3 years.

EDIT:Just tried it out and you are right, it records in multiples of fps. Altho there is option to lock the fps, its still just an option. I guess they must have added it, but i really think that the old fraps had locked fps by default without any option to disable it.

EDIT2:Yup, fraps 2.2.4 had no option like that

Fluk3

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »
Well fraps generally sucks, bcz it forces the app you are recording to run in fps in which you are recording. I would suggest dxtory, that is probably the most used recording app for games. Unfortunately its paid.
You could try OBS (program for streaming which is free) and i believe there is option to record the "stream" to HDD.

If you are going to record more than 1 video, i think it might be worth trying to figure out sth else than fraps, as fraps doesn't even allow you to record videos longer than 30 secs unless you buy it.

Yeahh i have tried using various other programs such as dxtory, Hypercam and camtasia but when i play back the avi they screen is just grey =(

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:55:18 AM »
Yeahh i have tried using various other programs such as dxtory, Hypercam and camtasia but when i play back the avi they screen is just grey =(
Thats pretty weird. Dxtory worked for me just fine without any special settings, dunno what might be wrong for you. I remember that some apps had issues with recording fullscreen games, if you were recording fullscreen you could try using windowed mode.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »
What are you using to play them back?  Sounds like you're missing a codec.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:17:09 AM »
fraps is also paid *cough*

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
Just use shadowplay.