Author Topic: Finished map: vaLLis  (Read 5530 times)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Finished map: vaLLis
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »
Name/Version: vaLLis | final

Gamemode: CTF

Flags: 1 in each of the 2 bases. 5 points for cap.

Players: 1v1 and 2v2 or PGP with more players :)

Download: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27147.0;attach=12183

Screenshots:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:24:09 AM by MaTzeMR »

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: new map vaLLis | beta1
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
positives:
* I have not discovered a way/jump up to "high"
* flags are accessible without trickjumping
* easy map

negatives:
* there are 2 roads, which both lead through the same point. I fear this will cause the gameplay to happen in the mid and nowhere else
* flags will probably be pretty easy to defend, as there is only one way leading towards them

Considering you are aiming for a 1v1 or 2v2 map, the negatives can be accepted as part of the map. As said, I think the battle will be concentrating on the mid. You might therefore consider to put in a mid-flag instead of a base flag, in order to 1) prevent camping and 2) an easier way to gain more points at once.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
I think the midflag would be pretty good but ill hear some other opinins too.

btw there is a doublejump up to the bridge. shall i leave it as it is or remove it?

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »
I like the look of the fence up above the map, on top of the grassy cliff things. But, the clipping along the ridge prevents you from hitting it. Either move the fencing up to the edge so that i makes sense that you cant get on top of the map, or remove the ability to get on there completely. Right now there are a ton of ways to get up top, but you get blocked mid air. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to use clipping when you could easily use obstacles to accomplish the same thing.

The spawns are in a straight line which could cause issues.

No need for a mid flag on a map that is 5 seconds from base to base.

There are two ways from low to high in the center. Each is fairly easy.

It's just going to be a spray fest in that center 512 unit square or so, there needs to be some sort of change to middle in my opinion.

The glass walls have some awkward proportions to them. Golden ratio please.

Follows the standard grass/rock look, not a bad thing, because they usually look good, but maybe add in something to make it stand out from the 50000 other grass maps lately.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 03:37:55 PM »
thanks for the feedback!
sorry but i didnt really understand what you ment with "change to middle" and what does golden ratio mean?

EDIT: understood the change to middle now but i still dont get what you mean with golden ratio
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:24:28 PM by MaTzeMR »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »
thanks for the feedback!
sorry but i didnt really understand what you ment with "change to middle" and what does golden ratio mean?

EDIT: understood the change to middle now but i still dont get what you mean with golden ratio
Golden Ratio is 1.62:1. This is the ratio of side lengths to a rectangle that will allow it to be split into a square and a similar rectangle to the original.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
 = Goldener Schnitt
Like the map from the look of the screens :)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »
I like the map :)

What do you think about a little hole here, where i can crouch out of the spawn?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 07:09:35 PM »
(Still catching up on old forum posts, sorry).

This is a pretty nice looking little map!

Biggest potential issue I see:

r_speeds are pretty high, and all the transparent textures cause a lot of overdraw.  It might perform poorly on some systems.  Removing the water would probably help some with the performance.  Make sure you test with reflective water on -- I see in your screenshots you had it off.

Some other minor things:

- The large scaled metal texture on the sides of the banners looks a little weird.
- The wall separating the high and low path has a really sharp, unnatural edge to it.  Maybe work with that a bit to make it look better.
- You can jump up and see through the sky (screenshot attached), which looks bad, and might be exploited.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 04:48:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback,  I am currently on holiday but I'll try to work on the map when I'm back at home.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Re: Finished map: vaLLis
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
FINAL VERSION OUT

Felt the need to finish the map since it is played a lot on JeongWa's server atm (shoutout to JeongWa)
Made it a bit more newb friendly, fixed some minor mistakes, made some advanced jumps possible by moving stuff around and opened up the high part of the map wich makes gameplay much more interesting imo.

I really didn't have the motivation to realize all the stuff you pointed out in the feedback but I'm confident that this final version is very much playable :P

Download: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27147.0;attach=12183

JeongWa

• Autococker
Re: Finished map: vaLLis
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »
Awesome !

This new version open up some space in the map, feels good man ! Cant wait to play it.

Shoutout to ic3y for hosting us server ;)