Author Topic: Controversial Jump /Dustyjump - Beta 4  (Read 10386 times)

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
Controversial Jump /Dustyjump - Beta 4
« on: August 18, 2014, 02:03:29 PM »
Yes this is a jump map. I created some time ago and managed to bring it with some fixes to beta 2. The first beta was only published on OTB Forum.

This map is supposed to make fun and I think i improved my jumping skills a bit while doing it. The jumps aren't that easy, especially the last 4, and there will be more levels added, probably something funny and a revision of one of the first levels, just really hard.

Screenshots will be added soon. I'll see whether I forgot something important.

EDIT: OK my textures have to be placed as "rockyar" in pball/textures
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:36:14 AM by Rockyar_96 »

Ace

• Autococker
Re: Controversial Jump - Beta 2
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:22:12 PM »
Well did a quick run through and made it through the whole map in about 45 seconds or so. I guess either add length to it or difficulty to it. I think the difficulty change from room to room is good. Just keep that going.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
Well I am not a that good jumper myself I actually tried to learn myself by making this map. 45 seconds is really short :P, is a goal of 2 mins playtime for you pros realistic?

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »
I think that what you have is a great start to a 2 minute map, and will take the majority of people far longer than that, and the even bigger majority won't finish it. The awkwardness is that it is far too easy for the "pros" to ever want to run times on it, but the current ending is probably too difficult for pub scrubs to do within the 20 minutes. It puts it in a weird place where it isn't really ideal for either group. My suggestion is to either lengthen it up and add a few harder rooms to the end, or make the last few rooms easier. Obviously I vote to add more and make them harder, but it's your choice. Adding more always leaves the possibility for both groups to play it and have fun with it. I wouldn't worry about the time it takes to finish it. Paintball is about the timing thing, just let people have fun with it.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »
Ok cool. Thx for your feedback, I'll think about it :)

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »
The white texture is horrible

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
Re: Controversial Jump - Beta 3
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:14:15 AM »
Soo beta 3 is ready. Pretty much the whole map got harder and I added one room and lowered sunlightning. Gotta work on some new levels and the textures. Also I figured out that the beginning should be a bit more roomy for jump servers...

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »
If someone could just jump through and give me some feedbacks on the jumps, it would make things a lot easier for me.

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »
ill test it then i can give u feedback

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:23:50 PM »
I ran through b3, and it seems like its a fairly friendly map to play in pubs with the difficulty progression that it has going.

I found a few shortcuts throughout, nothing that breaks the map, just little 2-3second cuts here and there. I'll point them out if you want to block them, but I think they should stay, makes it more fun.

I can upload this to the quake2 test server and have some other people there test it out and probably get a decent speedrun demo out of apkis/nook/kropp/lof for you if you want.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 07:15:30 AM »
Thank you, yeah that would be nice. I only blocked shortcuts I can do myself, so I assume you need some more practice to do them, so I'm fine with it :) Beta 4 is on the way, but the new rooms need some time.

nook!e

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:07 AM »
 :-X

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
Remove the white / blue boxes please.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 03:19:49 AM »
Are you talking about the textures? At least the white texture will be reworked/removed.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »

Use your own textures for sure, but they could stand do be toned down a bit in the brightness. Also, didn't feel like doing a full run, but here's the map breaking sc's if you want to fix them.

http://youtu.be/oCUBm1U2hJ8

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
Thank you, I'll have a look at it whether it needs fixing or not :) (the third one certainly will, looks a bit too convenient)

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 08:17:29 AM »
I removed the sun lightning in the 4 blue rooms and now it looks like this. I hope you agree when I say it's no longer overbrightened.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »
That room looks much better now :)

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
Beta 4 is ready. I added 4 rooms and tweaked some jumps. Also the lightning in the "gridded rooms" was changed.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 12:59:34 AM »
1st pic "So dark!" 3rd pic, "So bright!"  You should try to get more comfortable lighting levels in all the rooms.  The room with the pillars that you have to jump up a stack of boxes to get back to the start is way too dark, for example.  It's very difficult to see the boxes you're trying to jump on.

The rooms with the jumps that were > 32 units (I think they had blue bricks and long, metal beams to jump on) felt very inconsistent.  I even tried using a dj script to see if it was just my timing, but even with the script, I was getting inconsistent heights.  Sometimes I'd make the jump no problem, and sometimes I'd fall short.  Makes me feel like a complete newbie, but is there some technique to making these jumps consistent?

The grid rooms felt kind of same-y and claustrophobic.  Might be nice to change up the scenery a bit, but not a huge deal.  Also, the one with the vertical wall blocking the platform from the exit (2nd to last?) was probably the most frustrating thing I've seen this year.  I hate the types of jumps where you edge out as far as physically possible and jump around things, especially when failing means you have to go through the entire room again.

On the first (I think) extra stage, there's a very narrow ledge jump that's < 32 units tall.  Are you testing this without scripts or macros?  I can't seem to physically hit my jump key fast enough to get that one most of the time, but it's super easy with a dj script.  You might want to rethink that one.

I'm not a fan of the gigantic ~7ft/2m wide CTP brick/block textures used in a lot of the stages.

Also, why is the filename dustyjump and the title Controversial Jump?