Author Topic: Controversial Jump /Dustyjump - Beta 4  (Read 10370 times)

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
Re: Controversial Jump - Beta 3
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 07:35:07 AM »
1st pic "So dark!" 3rd pic, "So bright!"  You should try to get more comfortable lighting levels in all the rooms.  The room with the pillars that you have to jump up a stack of boxes to get back to the start is way too dark, for example.  It's very difficult to see the boxes you're trying to jump on.

The rooms with the jumps that were > 32 units (I think they had blue bricks and long, metal beams to jump on) felt very inconsistent.  I even tried using a dj script to see if it was just my timing, but even with the script, I was getting inconsistent heights.  Sometimes I'd make the jump no problem, and sometimes I'd fall short.  Makes me feel like a complete newbie, but is there some technique to making these jumps consistent?

The grid rooms felt kind of same-y and claustrophobic.  Might be nice to change up the scenery a bit, but not a huge deal.  Also, the one with the vertical wall blocking the platform from the exit (2nd to last?) was probably the most frustrating thing I've seen this year.  I hate the types of jumps where you edge out as far as physically possible and jump around things, especially when failing means you have to go through the entire room again.

On the first (I think) extra stage, there's a very narrow ledge jump that's < 32 units tall.  Are you testing this without scripts or macros?  I can't seem to physically hit my jump key fast enough to get that one most of the time, but it's super easy with a dj script.  You might want to rethink that one.

I'm not a fan of the gigantic ~7ft/2m wide CTP brick/block textures used in a lot of the stages.

Also, why is the filename dustyjump and the title Controversial Jump?
I set the sunlightning a bit down and added some texture lightning in dark areas.

I think I know what jump you're talking about. I kind of got used to it, it's just a bit different. I'd advice you to jump a bit earlier that usual. I like this jump because it makes the player wonder what's wrong with it :) and getting them out of their comfort zone.

The scenery actually is set to be like this, I hope it doesn't bother you too much. I moved the 3rd gridded room to the extra rooms (swapped it with the relativly easy gridded extra room).

You're right that's the first one. I'll make it a bit easier.

I swapped it with the smaller version of the texture (looks the same but has smaller bricks).

Ahm, actually that's because I had started with 2 maps. One witht the costum textures and the second one in the dusty theme. But I wanted to get at least one map finished at some point of time so I merged them, the title stayed with dustyjump and the title changed to controversial jump because of the opposing themes. But whatever if it bothers you I can fix that ^^

*EDIT:
the smaller bricks look too blocky, I'll have to revise it to the old state.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:57:11 AM by Rockyar_96 »

Ace

• Autococker
Re: Controversial Jump /Dustyjump - Beta 4
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 12:15:01 PM »
The jump jitspoe mentioned, the narrow ledge one seemed pretty consistent to me. 27 or 22 fps, and its 100% success rate. I guess my one complaint with the map, similar to what jitpose said is the inconsistency. It hops around from harder to easier, dark and light, color changes, etc. Almost feels like each room was made by a different person.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
Well about the inconsistency I can't do much anymore ^^, I'll try next time, assuming I'll make another jump map.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »
The jump jitspoe mentioned, the narrow ledge one seemed pretty consistent to me.

The extra stage one?  What key do you jump with, and do you have a double jump alias?

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »
The extra stage one?  What key do you jump with, and do you have a double jump alias?

It's just a standing double jump. You'll fail it a lot if you do a normal dj. Walk into the block, look straight forward, 27fps, double tap jump quickly. I use right click for jump, and no alias for me.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 06:22:55 AM »
OK, as I have quite some free time now, I would love to make a final out of this. I'm currently tweaking the lightning a bit, because I have a different monitor now and suddenly understand your problems quite a bit more :) Are there any complaints left regarding difficulty, length and such more?