Author Topic: Holiday Tourney [Completed 1-3]  (Read 30073 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
JMR has EU servers that he has used in previous tournaments and has had no complaints about anything.

In fact, like cP/Supermans, they ping well to NA's (or atleast better than OTB's).

I'd recommend Supermans (if ent files fixed) or cP (if updated to new physics) + JMR servers for euro server.

mRokita

• Autococker
I can host some.

prozajik

• Autococker
One kind of important rule, which i have never really seen sorted out for NA vs EU matches. What if the map diference is the exact same? For example EU team wins 50:30 and than NA wins 30:10, then the diference is 20. Using the 'higher points' is not fair, because of map choices. I guess redoing the match is one solution, but what if this goes on and on and you ran out of maps? ^^

I know that this scenario is pretty unlikely (to ran out of maps), but the only possible solution i can think of, is that if teams tie with the point diffs, they should then eliminate the rest of the maplist to leave just one map and play this map on both NA and EU server and play it until one of the teams gets higher point diff. Unfortunately, this could get kind of boring and might be a disadvantage for one side or the other, because if you play the map for the first time, you might be adjusting to the way the map plays, etc.

If Clipz updates his server, than i am all for his servers for these mixed matches. Ping there is really nice for EU. Just for godsake please not uR, i dont wanna play tourney with 180 ping, but i guess they would work for NA vs NA matches.
For the EU vs EU, OTB's have some weird lags as MrPeach said, i have no idea what it is, but from time to time it starts lagging horribly, then it fixes itself and is fine for a week even. So rahter ic3y's servers or JMR's.
For NA vs EU, as i said, if Clipz updates his servers than Prozak's servers and either JMR's or ic3y's

I can host some.
No offense, but your servers cant handle high amount of players. I went to your speed once and i had packet losses every second (it might have been just me, but i went to arctic server after that and didnt get single packet loss there)

MyeRs

• Autococker
TL;DR for Gonass so he doesn't have to read through every post:

Server issue:

uR = high ping for euros, unfair for tournament
OTB = supposedly random lag spikes
JMR Server = best euro server to use ping-wise
Prozak/Superman = Good for EU and NA, but need updating. (Prozak update physics, Superman change ents)

Clipz said Prozak will update, so NA servers are set with Prozaks.

I can talk to JMR and update this post.

TIE MAP FOR NA VS EU ISSUE:

Determining tie = point differential

What happens if point differential is the same? (Ie 50-20, 40-10, 30pt diff).

Need a set-in-stone means of fixing that.

EACH DAY

Are you going to have a set portion of the bracket played Day1 and another set portion played Day2?

Or a time limit on Day1, once a certain time is reached the bracket stops till the next day?

TO THE COMMUNITY:

If you have not read yet, the original post was updated and the tournament is: JANUARY 3 AND JANUARY 4, AT 12:00PM EST / 9:00AM PST

EDIT: And thanks Gonass for making a tournament with a substantial prize pool to actually make people want to come back to play the game.

Morphin

• VM-68
I would highly prefer supermans server! They are by far the best servers for EU.

MyeRs

• Autococker
Adjust Team Solo Myers to: What The ____?

Roster:

MyeRs
Shk
Dystro
Ascra
Aveiro

Coach and Manager: Joseph "TiNi" Depalma

gonass

• 68 Carbine
One kind of important rule, which i have never really seen sorted out for NA vs EU matches. What if the map diference is the exact same? For example EU team wins 50:30 and than NA wins 30:10, then the diference is 20. Using the 'higher points' is not fair, because of map choices. I guess redoing the match is one solution, but what if this goes on and on and you ran out of maps? ^^

I know that this scenario is pretty unlikely (to ran out of maps), but the only possible solution i can think of, is that if teams tie with the point diffs, they should then eliminate the rest of the maplist to leave just one map and play this map on both NA and EU server and play it until one of the teams gets higher point diff. Unfortunately, this could get kind of boring and might be a disadvantage for one side or the other, because if you play the map for the first time, you might be adjusting to the way the map plays, etc.

I can write a little program that just randomly picks one in that case.  They'll just have to PM me on IRC and I can run it to determine who gets tie server.  I thought about doing the same thing to have the maps randomly assigned so there's no hours lost bickering over tie.  Wasn't sure if everyone would go for this or not.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
TL;DR for Gonass so he doesn't have to read through every post:

Server issue:

uR = high ping for euros, unfair for tournament
OTB = supposedly random lag spikes
JMR Server = best euro server to use ping-wise
Prozak/Superman = Good for EU and NA, but need updating. (Prozak update physics, Superman change ents)

Clipz said Prozak will update, so NA servers are set with Prozaks.

I can talk to JMR and update this post.

Determining tie = point differential

EACH DAY

Are you going to have a set portion of the bracket played Day1 and another set portion played Day2?

Or a time limit on Day1, once a certain time is reached the bracket stops till the next day?

TO THE COMMUNITY:

If you have not read yet, the original post was updated and the tournament is: JANUARY 3 AND JANUARY 4, AT 12:00PM EST / 9:00AM PST

EDIT: And thanks Gonass for making a tournament with a substantial prize pool to actually make people want to come back to play the game.

I'm down with prozaks and JMR's.  Would you might getting a hold of JMR and taking care of the logistics?

There's only 7 teams and usually a few don't show, so I think we could do at least half of it one day and half the other, but if everyone's on we might as well do as much as we can the first day.

MyeRs

• Autococker
There's currently 7, with Oldschool and Team xXx being the only ones who I would say aren't 100% , everyone else I'd assume 100% shows. This is with c2o (formerly SSW), STaRz, SanC, and sPec not signed up. Hopefully they all sign up, pushing it to a 8-12 team tournament.

JeongWa

• Autococker
I'm unsubscribing team [SSW] From the tournament for Replacing it by .c2o| .
The current roster have changed due to behavior and a ban.

Team: .c2o|

IRC Names/ Mails:

- Boyka   / Boykadp2@gmail.com
- Squeeze / squeezedp@gmail.com
- JeongWa / jeongwa@live.fr

Roster:

- Boyka
- Squeeze
- JeongWa

MyeRs

• Autococker
Gonass: If you have a maplist, process of elimination makes it so there's no bickering.

Odd numbered map list (5-7 maps) - Team A picks theirs for their map, Team B picks theirs, so (3-5 maps remaining) - For tie map, Team A elims a map, then Team B elims a map, until 1 map remains, that map is tied. Fair as both teams eliminate an equal amount of maps. This method has been used in almost every recent tournament and always works, no arguments in regards to maps.

No need for random generator or pre-selected tie maps.

Random generator only useful incase of teams ending with different point differential to decide server for tie.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Team sPecial (#sPec#)

IRC Names/ Mails:

- JMR / paintball@jordanmrichards.com

Roster:

- JMR
- Fluk3
- Omni

MyeRs

• Autococker
JMR - Reference servers, are you willing to supply your servers for the tournament? Asking on behalf of Gonass

L3vi

• Stingray
Nice to see Jordan!

OverusedGORDO

• PGP
Adjust team Made in Brasil to=
Friends Never Die FND|
Overused
Conca
hox
Juiicy
Shw

prozajik

• Autococker
Another thing i didn't see sorted out in terms of rules, who gets to pick a color in tie map. I guess one logical way would be that the team which didn't get the server gets to pick color. Also would be a good idea to note that the each team gets to pick color on the opponents map. Might seem unimportant, but in some maps (eg. pbcup_sassault) color can make tons of difference and not only in terms of weapons.

And one more thing, before we get into this tourney, make sure entities are same for both servers. For example on otb servers we got synchronised entities, meaning both teams get same weapons (or barrels, looking at you shazam22) on both sides no matter the map. Would be kind of unfair to get this on one server and not the other one. Personally i would prefer same weapons, but i would guess that right now the servers which are 'to be' the tourney ones don't have such a comfort.

Just please make sure to make rules as precise as possible, last thing you want is teams arguing about picking color, while you can't even think about answering, because you are in the middle of a match.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
Another thing i didn't see sorted out in terms of rules, who gets to pick a color in tie map. I guess one logical way would be that the team which didn't get the server gets to pick color. Also would be a good idea to note that the each team gets to pick color on the opponents map. Might seem unimportant, but in some maps (eg. pbcup_sassault) color can make tons of difference and not only in terms of weapons.

And one more thing, before we get into this tourney, make sure entities are same for both servers. For example on otb servers we got synchronised entities, meaning both teams get same weapons (or barrels, looking at you shazam22) on both sides no matter the map. Would be kind of unfair to get this on one server and not the other one. Personally i would prefer same weapons, but i would guess that right now the servers which are 'to be' the tourney ones don't have such a comfort.

Just please make sure to make rules as precise as possible, last thing you want is teams arguing about picking color, while you can't even think about answering, because you are in the middle of a match.

Wonderful points!  Thanks for mentioning them.  I'll update the rules accordingly.

prozajik

• Autococker
Each team is allowed one map reset per best of 3 map match.
I am guessing you mean reset to get better weapons right? I think you should be little more specific, because right now i get the feeling that i can reset when i am losing the map ^^. Throw in there "before teams joined" or something like that.

Also, how i pointed out and Myers summed up in his post

I wouldn't be surprised if the same point difference happened at some point of the tourney, given how many NA vs EU matches are going to happen. But i am not sure whats the best way to sort this kind of 'double tie'.
Either you play one (same for both) tie map on both servers and whoever gets more points in total for both maps wins the whole matchor you remake the match from scratch.

MyeRs

• Autococker
I am guessing you mean reset to get better weapons right? I think you should be little more specific, because right now i get the feeling that i can reset when i am losing the map ^^. Throw in there "before teams joined" or something like that.

Also, how i pointed out and Myers summed up in his postI wouldn't be surprised if the same point difference happened at some point of the tourney, given how many NA vs EU matches are going to happen. But i am not sure whats the best way to sort this kind of 'double tie'.
Either you play one (same for both) tie map on both servers and whoever gets more points in total for both maps wins the whole matchor you remake the match from scratch.
[/quote]

No, you can't remake the match or do 1 match each, that makes it WAY too long of a match for a weekend tournament. It needs to be something along the lines of:
-- Random generator to choose
-- NA server because NA is running tournament (Gotta represent your nation! lol, whenever I participate in EU tournaments they never cared to give NA servers to us EVER!)
-- Add up total K/D's of every team member of both played maps, team with better overall KDR gets their server for tie
-- One team chooses the map, the other team gets server

There's a buncha ways, random generator = most fair ---> Although NA server due to NA running tournament is an idea I like too... pretty sour about always playing all EU servers every tournament lol

-------

In regards to color on tie map - it has typically in DP history been based off the 2nd map selected. So, if TeamA is blue on map#2, they are blue on tiemap. You keep the color you were on the previous map for tie maps. Since color selection isn't supposed to give any advantage on a map that is agreed upon for tie, so basing it before you even know what the tie map makes it equal chance for both sides. Having a map restart prior to joining up purely for gun reset allows you to chance with better guns if your side is poor.

Riddick

• 68 Carbine
Watch out for MyeRs team in the tourney. I've heard that they're going to go out hacking and get the money before they get the ban hammer.

#yolo