Author Topic: [Issue?] Paintball behaves differently in windowed mode than in fullscreen  (Read 5155 times)

prozajik

• Autococker
I was playing around with the borderless windowed mode (again) and i noticed its much more difficult for me to do certain jumps in PB. I attached a demo with an example of it.
It just feels like if there was some weird fps drop(despite fps staying 1000) in windowed mode or as if the 'oldphysics' were enabled. Dunno what to make of this.

lukip

• VM-68
Re: [Issue?] Paintball behaves differently in windowed mode than in fullscreen
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
i think i have the same problem.
It just feels like if there was some weird fps drop(despite fps staying 1000)
but fullscreen or windowed doesnt matter on my pc, it just feels weird sometimes and sometimes its normal.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
i think i have the same problem.but fullscreen or windowed doesnt matter on my pc, it just feels weird sometimes and sometimes its normal.
Well imo its not about 'having a problem', but more about how the game behaves. I am guessing this probably happens for everybody, people just didn't notice yet, because who switches between fullscreen/windowed frequently enough. And you can get used to the 'weird' behavior in windowed mode.

Yea its same for me, fps doesn't drop at all, but 'fps drop' was the closest description i could think of.

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:09:18 AM »
Maybe something like your computer working on something rather than running your game? Also happens to me..

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »
I always play on the small windowed mode.

promarijan

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 04:29:08 AM »
windowed or FS does not change the game at all!

IMO it's a different feeling how you recognize things and react to them. It's like changing the fov while playing from 110 to 130 for example.

It's just a different way of aiming according to screensize!

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 07:06:47 AM »
The game reacts to user input differently at different framerates. The engine only calculates a "physics frame" per displayed video frame, thus the game will calculate movements with less frames when your gpu is limiting. You can even use that effect. For certain jumps, some people change their maxfps settings so they are able to do the jump. It might be that your framerate changes when changing the game's resolution or video settings.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 02:08:26 PM by xrichardx »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »
I know that, with windows 7, using a theme that has the circular start button (or any shape that goes above the taskbar), the framerate is lower when the window is under the start button (I guess because of the way windows draws things with transparency), even though the framerate in-game is displayed the same.  It's visibly stuttery.  It's possible windowed fullscreen has the same issue.  Do you have the problem if you play in a smaller window that doesn't overlap the start button?

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 03:54:26 AM »
windowed or FS does not change the game at all!

IMO it's a different feeling how you recognize things and react to them. It's like changing the fov while playing from 110 to 130 for example.

It's just a different way of aiming according to screensize!
I was running 'borderless' windowed mode (using shift window) so the screen was exactly the same as fullscreen, also tried it without using the shift window but the result was same. Check the demo and see for yourself what the difference is.

I think it's well known that the game reacts to user input differently at different framerates. I think that is due to missing mutlithreading. The engine can only calculate an internal frame every displayed frame, thus the game will calculate movements with less frames when your gpu is limiting. You can even use that effect. For certain jumps, some people change their maxfps settings so they are able to do the jump. Also, its normal that your framerate changes when changing the game's resolution or video settings. Enough explanation?
As i mentioned, my FPS didnt drop the slightest, stayed still at 1000 FPS. Also, thats a reason why i have chosen dopjump not pbcup_renoir for testing purposes.

I know that, with windows 7, using a theme that has the circular start button (or any shape that goes above the taskbar), the framerate is lower when the window is under the start button (I guess because of the way windows draws things with transparency), even though the framerate in-game is displayed the same.  It's visibly stuttery.  It's possible windowed fullscreen has the same issue.  Do you have the problem if you play in a smaller window that doesn't overlap the start button?
Good idea, but unfortunately not much much changed. I guess there was some slight change in the behavior, i was able to do the jump slightly more consistently, but still not as consistently as i would be able to using fullscreen and the behavior still felt...well weird.

EDIT:
Running windows 8.1
GPU: AMD Toxic 9R (or w/e lol)
RAM: 16GB
CPU: Intel I7 (and some numbers, not that its important, just thought i would throw it in here)

What i found out so far, is that the PB window generates pretty differently to other games. There are basically 4 'modes' in which the window can be displayed.
1)Fullscreen, simple basic one, works nice
2)Borderless, but with forced overlapping and everything (basically the way payl modified .dll for windowed mode AND also quite few applications can do the same) - in this case, paintball behaves normally AS IF it was in fullscreen. Also it has forced Always on top and its impossible to get anything displayed over it (tried getting livesplit on top of paintball, but failed. Tried countless of apps to do this 'good' borderless mode, but all did the same)
3)Borderless, BUT with windowed mode ONLY positioned correctly so that it looks like borderless (basically X,Y positioning changed, still overlapping), but it behaves like windowed mode, making it hard to do the jump i showed (and many others)
4)Windowed mode, pretty much same as above, i guess slightly better in terms of jumping, but definitely not 'correct'

Gonna do some testing with compatibility modes i guess, havent tried that yet

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »
The issues you describe aren't going to be visible in a demo (unless things get REALLY bad, like < 10fps bad), but I'm just about to build a new computer with Windows 8 on it (the rest of the parts should arrive today!), so maybe I can try to replicate the windowed behavior and see if there are any issues that are not present in Windows 7.

The behavior is likely different from other games because Paintball2 uses OpenGL, whereas most other Windows games use DirectX.

Are you just using the default Windows 8 theme and whatnot, or have you customized it?

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 04:21:58 AM »
The issues you describe aren't going to be visible in a demo (unless things get REALLY bad, like < 10fps bad), but I'm just about to build a new computer with Windows 8 on it (the rest of the parts should arrive today!), so maybe I can try to replicate the windowed behavior and see if there are any issues that are not present in Windows 7.

The behavior is likely different from other games because Paintball2 uses OpenGL, whereas most other Windows games use DirectX.

Are you just using the default Windows 8 theme and whatnot, or have you customized it?
Well, there is NO visiible issue, its just how the game feels, its basically as if you changed r_oldmovement to 1, you couldnt notice that even if you were looking at my screen (alright, if i slided down the hill you could, but speaking in terms of DJing and stuff) and demo was the closest i could come to explaining what i mean.

Yea, i guess opengl explains it

Yep, the old classic windows 8.1, without any modifications to desktop/theme/loginscreen/any other visual excrement people like to put on their screens whatsoever

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 11:11:25 PM »
So I'm using Windows 8.1 now and haven't noticed any issues running in windowed mode.  Are you still having the issue?  What drivers do you have?