Author Topic: Did something with ball speed / arc etc.. change?  (Read 5507 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Did something with ball speed / arc etc.. change?
« on: December 01, 2014, 04:41:39 PM »
Since coming back to DP it's felt like my bullets drop more than they used it. This isn't just rust, as other players notice the same things who have played actively.

Sqz (from SSW who matches actively) says he was watching old demos and notices a big difference in how far people used to shoot to now. (and I mean old as in within the last 3-4 years)

Shk/Primo/Bix and a few others have mentioned that they felt their bullets weren't going anywhere.

I've noticed my bullets dropping a lot.

So I'm curious if anything has changed? Maps like airtime is where I've noticed it the most. Lining across the map doesn't make it anymore. Not sure if it was an intentional change, or something else caused it, or we're just crazy, but it certainly feels different.

Someone on TS3 was saying that Clipz told them Jitspoe changed the arc of the bullets when they heard us asking about ball speed changes.

Any clarification is appreciated.

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
Re: Did something with ball speed / arc etc.. change?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
Yea, i'd like to know if I just suck now or if something has been changed and then i'll adjust to that. I don't feel my aim is THAT much worse.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »
Yes, i noticed this change. Before few months i was like, how the hell in older demos is everybody lining so far. Now you have tu put your crosshair a few inches higher to line for example on airtime from balcony to balcony. Is this ball speed changed or something other?..

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »
I haven't played in quite a while, but my guess is, it's the change from using paintballs to using bullets that has everything out of wack.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
I've also noticed that.  Prozak servers how ever don't do that. I like the old ball speeds.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:10:44 PM »
Yea, i'd like to know if I just suck now or if something has been changed
What about including the possibility .. even if it has changed, you suck ? (j.k)

Yeah, the ball speed has changed or something with the travel time. I feel like bullets are falling faster and they are also slower. Would be nice to know exactly what, and the changes.

MrPeach

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:19:28 AM »
The ball speed was changed a while ago. I remember good times when people would actually die instead of running through lines from one side to another lol

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »
I remember good times when people would actually die instead of running through lines from one side to another lol

Nah, i don't agree with that. This is the feeling that you have, but most of the time, when i see people being confused about " How does it come he pass trough my line ? " It's because the line is to low. So people just jump Over. With this new bullets speed, i feel like you have to control even more your bullets trajectory to hit, or maybe it's just because people are less dumb than before, and instead of going on a path that is lined, they look at where the bullets comes from, and try something. So i think the barrels and the guns are more important than before.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:46:12 AM »
MrPeach, I'm not talking about the one everyone knows about. I'm wondering if over the last year or 2 something with DP shooting changed. I noticed it most when playing Airtime. Nobody was getting kills with the FD to FD lines, which used to be the most common line and the only reason Shk could go positive. I noticed it on a few maps, but Airtime felt the most noticeable.

Again, it could be from not playing for a while + playing different games. But it just feels worse than ever.

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »
Nobody was getting kills with the FD to FD lines, which used to be the most common line and the only reason Shk could go positive. I noticed it on a few maps, but Airtime felt the most noticeable.

Again, it could be from not playing for a while + playing different games. But it just feels worse than ever.

I lol'd. MyeRs just jelly.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 12:42:02 PM »
Me and Shockwave were in a server trying out some lines to see if anything was different, and we noticed (which may have always been the case) on lines we felt like we used to always get kills, the balls now bounce off you more than ever.

http://speedy.sh/cvNeT/SuperMatch120141203-182755-0-airtime.dm2

That's us testing. FD to FD line used to be the most common line in that map, which was very reliable. Why are the bullets suddenly not making it? And bouncing off?

Hoping this can be brought to Jitspoe's attention so we can figure out what happened.

GOING TO REDO THIS VIDEO WITH SPLATTIME ON HIGH TO SHOW BULLETS BEHIND ME ARE EXPLODING. ITS ALMOST LIKE 50% OF THE BULLETS DONT SPLAT WHILE THE OTHER 50% DO.

ALSO - GOING TO FIND OLD DEMOS WITHIN LAST 2-3 YEARS OF AIRTIME GAMES TO SHOW IT DIDNT ALWAYS HAPPEN

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 03:39:48 PM »
I've been saying this for a while. Fitz got on and noticed this a long time ago but within the last couple of years. Something changed but we couldn't find what it was.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 07:10:20 PM »
No offense to anyone in this thread, but I kind of laughed at all of the posts recently about how we need to do something different and then I stumbled on this.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed it, but this is what's happening:

"WE NEED CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!"

"WHY DID THIS CHANGE?!?!?!?!?"

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
No offense to anyone in this thread, but I kind of laughed at all of the posts recently about how we need to do something different and then I stumbled on this.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed it, but this is what's happening:

out of context as hell lmao. I don't recall anyone saying they wanted change in how this game works(mechanic wise). Why would they? The only change discussed about this games machanics were sometime ago which was about bunnyhopping ( can't recall if it was superman who asked for it or someone else).

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 08:37:47 PM »

Well the game does need change - we're not complaining about the change... we're wondering if it happened.

We can't find any logs of it being done. This isn't a thread to complain, its a thread wondering. We don't know for a fact.

That being said, people wanting change doesn't mean change anything. It means relevant changes to improve the game. Slight decrease in ball speed (if this did indeed happen) just makes it that much harder for a new player (as it makes the balls even less likely than before to be going where your crosshair is pointed). If this was an intentional change, than I, along with many others, feel the time would have been better spent on other things (Jitspoe made threads before about what the community feels need to be changed/worked on, nobody said ball speed).

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 09:35:48 PM »
Well the game does need change - we're not complaining about the change... we're wondering if it happened.

We can't find any logs of it being done. This isn't a thread to complain, its a thread wondering. We don't know for a fact.

That being said, people wanting change doesn't mean change anything. It means relevant changes to improve the game. Slight decrease in ball speed (if this did indeed happen) just makes it that much harder for a new player (as it makes the balls even less likely than before to be going where your crosshair is pointed). If this was an intentional change, than I, along with many others, feel the time would have been better spent on other things (Jitspoe made threads before about what the community feels need to be changed/worked on, nobody said ball speed).

I was just poking fun is all.

I don't think it would be harder for a new player.  It would only be difficult for older players because the new players wouldn't notice or wouldn't know there was a difference.  I'm sure new players don't install old builds or look through the source to see what's changed.

Speaking of the source, have you looked through it to see if its changed?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »
Unless you're asking about a change, like, years ago, then, no, the defaults haven't changed in a long time (and it's sadly been a long time since I last put out a release).  It is, however, possible that a server admin has overridden the default ball speed values in their config.

You can type "cvar_get ball_speed" at the console to get the current setting the server is using.  I think the default is 2660.