Author Topic: QOS Priority  (Read 5597 times)

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
QOS Priority
« on: December 06, 2014, 05:56:58 AM »
My ping is jumping in this game, and in other games not, so i want to put this game into highest priority in my QoS settings in Router.

Please, I want to know what

Connection type to use: TCP/UDP
Starting port
Ending port

for this game.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
Re: QOS Priority
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
On the client side, the game uses whatever port is available, which might be 5123 but could also be 51234. On the server side, admins can specify a port for their server to run on, you will also pretty much see every valid port there. OTB uses 11111, 22222, 33333 and so on I think. All in all, giving higher priorities to specific ports won't really work unless there is a way to force paintball to use a specific local port, but AFAIK there is no such thing.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:19:39 AM »
I have no idea how it works, in other games i have ping 30-50. In this game too, but last days only in paintball 2 is my ping jumping to 90 EU, 190-250 NA.

No firewall problems, no connection problems, no drivers problems, no fps lags, not even packet loss.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »
A lot of it depends on logistics like how far you are from the server.  The other games you play might have servers closer to you.  Do you get a lot of packet loss when playing NA?

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
I had all the time 40 - 60 ping. Just last days it is jumping. Yes i had packet loss on NA/EU servers, but it is okay now, just high ping, no idea why.

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »
I had all the time 40 - 60 ping. Just last days it is jumping. Yes i had packet loss on NA/EU servers, but it is okay now, just high ping, no idea why.
This can be actually everything, the router is the last thing that could fail. Phone your provider.
You should also check your download/upload speed.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 12:10:55 AM »
I have no idea how it works, in other games i have ping 30-50. In this game too, but last days only in paintball 2 is my ping jumping to 90 EU, 190-250 NA.

No firewall problems, no connection problems, no drivers problems, no fps lags, not even packet loss.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 04:22:30 AM »
Learn what tracerouting is, if you didnt yet and download winmtr and try tracing otb server and see on which IP 'hop' the ping goes up. As long as it doesnt go up in your local network, then increasing priority wont help. If its some other 'hop' then only thing which would actually help is changing provider (well not only, there might be some other things  to do maybe).

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 08:41:52 PM »
I will try it, thanks

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 03:16:55 AM »
there's too many things wrong with the game atm, i suggest stop playing for a while and come back next build.

Fluk3

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »
Learn what tracerouting is, if you didnt yet and download winmtr and try tracing otb server and see on which IP 'hop' the ping goes up. As long as it doesnt go up in your local network, then increasing priority wont help. If its some other 'hop' then only thing which would actually help is changing provider (well not only, there might be some other things  to do maybe).
You could also just use windows cmd using the command tracert and the the ip of the server. Saves downloading programs

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »
You could also just use windows cmd using the command tracert and the the ip of the server. Saves downloading programs
Theoritically yes, in reality tracert in cmd sucks. It pings each ip adress only three times in a quick succession. So if this lag is only lag spike, it wont be noticable there. Also it goes slowly through all the hops, pinging each one after another. What WinMTR does, it firsts establishes all the IPs and then pings them separately like if you ran X number of cmd windows with ping -t. So its much better for analyzing your network problems. Even if you manage to catch this 'lag spike' and run tracert in cmd immediately, it will most likely not make it to the laggy 'hop', because of how slow it is in pinging each one.
This program doesn't require installation and is very light and user friendly. I think Viciouz suggested this one to me and i have been using it since then for these problems, its pretty handy.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:29:21 AM by prozajik »