Author Topic: JMR's Weekly Tournaments : FAQ  (Read 17296 times)

aborted

• VM-68
Re: JMR's Weekly Tournaments : FAQ
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 03:40:08 AM »
what new maps will be added on maplist ? My suggestion is to remove c1 because obv from what i saw no1 wanted to play it, its eliminated in first 3 maps elimination.
Perhaps add oth, shz22, zpar11 and perhaps a map from speed servers like tlc or tfs or ccc.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 05:27:16 AM »
what new maps will be added on maplist ? My suggestion is to remove c1 because obv from what i saw no1 wanted to play it, its eliminated in first 3 maps elimination.
Perhaps add oth, shz22, zpar11 and perhaps a map from speed servers like tlc or tfs or ccc.
I believe maplist is going to be totally different compared to Week 1, at least from what I understood.

Also, we wanted to play c1, but it always got eliminated :P

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »
I wouldn't remove c1 -- NA teams did not participate I don't believe, but it's a map that is about controlling points/lining/positioning more than jumping/spraying, making it a bit easier for teams with higher pings. Not to mention, any "older" teams like the map.

I'd like to see 3 or 4 map lists made - posted on forums or on the website - that rotate each week. This allows teams to learn all the map lists beforehand any time they want (rather than just a few days before it) - and allows for it to change enough to not get boring. Enough diversity while still not being a complete change every week. Also, once done minimizes JMR's work by not having to come up with new lists each week.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »
We also wanted to play c1. May have just came down to who played who. I also agree, not to much change week by week but enough to keep it interesting and fresh.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »
What about having a large list of maps that I select from each week?

This way, every single week has a different map list, but teams can still learn the maps prior to each tournament.

Perhaps I should make some sort of vote submission thread regarding what maps should be on this large list.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
What about having a large list of maps that I select from each week?

This way, every single week has a different map list, but teams can still learn the maps prior to each tournament.

Sounds cool to me, good way to keep the maplist interesting for as long as possible.

Another possibility would be using 'themed' maplist. Eg.:
Old maps:s22, c1, pp1, pp2, tlc, ruggedcountry (dunno how old it is),....)
Fresh maps: Some recently released beta, don't really keep up with what came out, but if i think more back in time Rassy's planet/elise/one more, or Selda's destiny comes to mind
Siege: siegecastle, grave, aldi, can't remember any other good siege map
Fast paced: napalm, shock, northmines, oddjob, dhemap (ikr, just came to mind)
poor maps: nightmare, nightmare, .... snowbong, nightmare
PGP:pgptrain, oddjob, any map with expert 8
Funny: airtimeoi, ub_icecliff, theice, spcup

etc etc you get the idea, thats something i posted like thousands time ago in my google docs ^^

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 12:41:02 PM »
Another possibility would be using 'themed' maplist. Eg.:

Whilst I like the concept, there would be a problem. Certain teams would probably only show up when certain themes are played.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
Whilst I like the concept, there would be a problem. Certain teams would probably only show up when certain themes are played.

+1 as I know the theme per the week would impact if I decided it was worth playing in it.

Siege/PGP/Funny/Poormaps etc. and themes like that, are going to be more "humor" than competition. I think the Sunday tournaments provide more benefit for the community by pushing the competition, as that is what tends to make people play more.

And Prozajik's list of old maps are funny. Old maps should be maps that "old" people want to play, ie hellsurvivors, strap, etc..

Anyways, a list of like, 15-20 maps, that switch around each week would be cool.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
And Prozajik's list of old maps are funny. Old maps should be maps that "old" people want to play, ie hellsurvivors, strap, etc..
Yea, it was just a guess and more from my perspective.

MrPeach

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 04:59:20 PM »
I agree with Myers that competition is the most important and it will attract more players attention. But what about organising extra fun/theme tournament once a month? It might not be included to overall league rankings and maybe it would bring more weaker teams which would decide to give it a try and participate.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:17:37 AM by MrPeach »

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 12:19:14 AM »
  But what about organising extra fun/theme tournament once a month? It might not be ncluded to overall league rankings and maybe it would bring more weaker teams which would decidie to give it a try and participate.
This could perhaps work.There are several teams that said "why should we join if we cant win vs anyone"

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 02:59:41 AM »
Can i join to my team, to play after i will come back from holidays?

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 03:58:30 AM »
Can i join to my team, to play after i will come back from holidays?
Ofc you can. Singups are 20 min before tourney starts :) Hurry up bro :D

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 06:37:41 AM »
This could perhaps work.There are several teams that said "why should we join if we cant win vs anyone"

I'd answer that question with. "It's fun to improve and progress each week. What better way to improve than play the best active teams?"

I understand why it would be fun for some. But, I wouldn't really want to spend my time on running pgp tournaments every month, I personally enjoy the competitive events more.

Fun "Mess around" tournaments may be something to consider in the future, but right now I think I should just focus on the basic, structured weekly competitive tournaments.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 07:30:58 AM »
Time limit has been set to 15 minutes.

I may need to lower the time limit to 10 if next tournament lasts too long.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »
I may need to lower the time limit to 10 if next tournament lasts too long.

The start time works for both NA and EU right now, but I would recommend pushing back 1 hour before making it 10 min maps. I participated in one 10 minute map and it was just too quick. It didn't feel like a real match. I think 15 minutes is a good spot.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
The start time works for both NA and EU right now, but I would recommend pushing back 1 hour before making it 10 min maps. I participated in one 10 minute map and it was just too quick. It didn't feel like a real match. I think 15 minutes is a good spot.

Yeah, good point. Hopefully 15 minutes will speed things up enough.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 06:06:44 AM »
1)I would love to see a countdown added to your website, an indicator of how much time is left till the next tourney. I think it would help others too instead of having to convert GMT times.

2) your rule "If a person times out, you may not capture the flags on that person. Try your very best to drop your flags before that person loses connection completely.", might cause some issues. I guess people don't do it anymore but 'fake' DCs were a thing back in days. I think that if the flags are grabbed before its brought to the oponent's team knowledge that the person is DCed they have the right to get the grab points, since they got it kind of fair. Obviously if DC is called and they go for grab/cap then that shouldn't be allowed. Just wanted to bring it to your attention that slight rephrasing might be needed on this one.

EDIT:Also, next time add us as cM8t, not cm8t pls ^^ looks much better :p
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:55:48 AM by prozajik »

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 09:28:29 AM »
1)I would love to see a countdown added to your website, an indicator of how much time is left till the next tourney. I think it would help others too instead of having to convert GMT times.

2) your rule "If a person times out, you may not capture the flags on that person. Try your very best to drop your flags before that person loses connection completely.", might cause some issues. I guess people don't do it anymore but 'fake' DCs were a thing back in days. I think that if the flags are grabbed before its brought to the oponent's team knowledge that the person is DCed they have the right to get the grab points, since they got it kind of fair. Obviously if DC is called and they go for grab/cap then that shouldn't be allowed. Just wanted to bring it to your attention that slight rephrasing might be needed on this one.

EDIT:Also, next time add us as cM8t, not cm8t pls ^^ looks much better :p

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I will be working on a countdown and will add more clarity to that rule.

I have changed "cm8t" to "cM8t" for the last bracket.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »
The next series will start 11th April this Saturday at 7pm BST.

Each tournament will be weekly on a Saturday for series 2.

More information on series 2 and prizes will be disclosed soon.